what photography related item did you buy this week?

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Not practical for :mu43: though worth a go: a Tamron SP 20-40mm full-frame-friendly zoom. It's the model 266 so made in the 21st century (barely :p), flares like it's 1969 :eek: but is decently sharp & fairly fast at f/2.7-3.5.

It's massive with 77mm filters and 520g, so the native lenses won't fear it.. :roflmao:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Finally it arrived today:

View attachment 833648
(DAMN IT, I think the website hates ALL mobile devices, the picture was made with the iPad and it still doesn’t display properly, anywho) Finally got an L-Bracket for E-M1 Mark III, just a cheap (-ish, it was 10 quid) off eBay from China.

View attachment 833649
View attachment 833650
The reason why I bought it is to make the camera a few millimetres taller so my pinky actually sits on the grip. It’s so much more comfortable hold it, it just adds a big of extra grip and stability and I don’t even care about the L actually and just kept the I instead.

Also a few days ago I added a red ribbon to the left strap slug (first time in my life where I found a use for that thing), I got the ribbon from a friend and I named my camera after her: Karen (YES, I am that kind of “nutter” that gives names and personifies objects [YES, my loneliness and depression is that severe :p ])
Would you mind posting the link the the grip. Looking for one for mine. I the fact that it has an extra thread in the bottom so I could add a Manfrotto plate when I want to use my bigger tripod.
I presume the battery door work well with the grip, easy to get out ?

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Got a £20 Amazon voucher from work, put it towards buying a grip for my OMD-EM10ii... which meant it only cost me 99p! Going to try it out this evening.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Would you mind posting the link the the grip. Looking for one for mine. I the fact that it has an extra thread in the bottom so I could add a Manfrotto plate when I want to use my bigger tripod.
I presume the battery door work well with the grip, easy to get out ?
Sure, this is the one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-Release-L-Bracket-Camera-Grip-For-Olympus-O-MD-E-M1-II-OMD-EM1-Mark-II/173922968165?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Joking :p

So far it's so comfortable it made the camera feel alien ... for a while that is ... the extra vertical space really helps with the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 and the 1.4x TC (it was just my pinking being so drunk with joy not having to be at the bottom :p
I was thinking of being worried for the battery cover because it doesn't open as much as originally designed:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It gives a few millimeters of room between the battery itself and the door.

There is a sloping piece of metal that is blocking the door from swinging all its (I'm guessing here) 90 degrees. One solution would be to grind down that sloping edge to make more room for the battery door. It won't look pretty but I wished the designer of this product would have fully committed to 100% compatibility with the camera's own battery design.
The issue is not big but is as follows:

When you have to change the battery you have to press the red latch with the bottom end of the battery so you can actually insert it (it's a mechanical spring that engages and raises the red latch so when you open the battery door the battery doesn't fall out of the camera, by the latch being raised OVER the battery once it's fully in). With only a few millimeters room space you need to be more careful and dextrous when putting in the battery (no issue when taking it out) as to not press on the battery door itself. So when out in the field you will have to loose focus and concentration on your previous task and be attentitive on changing the battery (for the safety and sake of the camera).

Come to think on it now, I will ask the Car Stock shop next door if they can grind down the sloping part completely (and I will fill down the edges myself) with an angle grinder or something more finer if the have. This thing is made of aluminium so it's very light and very sturdy but should be soft enough to make the changes. I had problems with a previous E-M5 Mark II metal grip where the edges were to sharp and was digging into my hands so I had to file them down. Chinese design I guess.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Not practical for :mu43: though worth a go: a Tamron SP 20-40mm full-frame-friendly zoom. It's the model 266 so made in the 21st century (barely :p), flares like it's 1969 :eek: but is decently sharp & fairly fast at f/2.7-3.5.

It's massive with 77mm filters and 520g, so the native lenses won't fear it.. :roflmao:
Sounds like it has more personality/character than every post-2000 kit lenses out there.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Sure, this is the one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-Release-L-Bracket-Camera-Grip-For-Olympus-O-MD-E-M1-II-OMD-EM1-Mark-II/173922968165?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So far it's so comfortable it made the camera feel alien ... for a while that is ... the extra vertical space really helps with the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 and the 1.4x TC (it was just my pinking being so drunk with joy not having to be at the bottom :p
I was thinking of being worried for the battery cover because it doesn't open as much as originally designed:
View attachment 834160

View attachment 834161
There is a sloping piece of metal that is blocking the door from swinging all its (I'm guessing here) 90 degrees. One solution would be to grind down that sloping edge to make more room for the battery door. It won't look pretty but I wished the designer of this product would have fully committed to 100% compatibility with the camera's own battery design.
View attachment 834162
When you have to change the battery you have to press the red latch with the bottom end of the battery so you can actually insert it (it's a mechanical spring that engages and raises the red latch so when you open the battery door the battery doesn't fall out of the camera, by the latch being raised OVER the battery once it's fully in). With only a few millimeters room space you need to be more careful and dextrous when putting in the battery (no issue when taking it out) as to not press on the battery door itself. So when out in the field you will have to loose focus and concentration on your previous task and be attentitive on changing the battery (for the safety and sake of the camera).

Come to think on it now, I will ask the Car Stock shop next door if they can grind down the sloping part completely (and I will fill down the edges myself) with an angle grinder or something more finer if the have. This thing is made of aluminium so it's very light and very sturdy but should be soft enough to make the changes. I had problems with a previous E-M5 Mark II metal grip where the edges were to sharp and was digging into my hands so I had to file them down. Chinese design I guess.
Did you add the tripod mount point (for your Arca(?) plate) or was it already there? The stock photos on the eBay link don’t show it and all those I’ve seen for the Mark II/III don’t have them, except the Fotodiox one which is £££ here.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
The attachment to the tripod socket is this one:
http://www.bgrip.com/uno-en/

Edit: Just checked on Amazon, is it this one you mentioned?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Exxy-Omni-Jr-Universal/dp/B07DPS4734
Sorry, having a brain fart with that reference to Fotodiox. I meant Really Right Stuff. This one:
https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/olympus-em1-plates

Anyhow, I was trying to ask about the grip which seems to have a screw socket in it that allows you to attach your tripod/uno plate. The eBay link you posted for the grip doesn’t seem to have that socket, and neither to any other grips I’ve seen except the RRS one.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My E-M5 arrived today.
It looks unused and it appears the only thing missing is the little piece of wire that holds the battery charging lead tidy. :laugh:
Everything looks pristine and (although I've not checked yet) the shutter count is supposed to be 367.
That's more than being quoted in the other threads for brand new cameras. :eek-31:
Just gotta sort an SD card out now.
And did I mention the price?
A whopping £185 with 12 month warranty.
5-01.jpg
5-02.jpg

Shock, horror.
Just realised there's no strap. :doh:

No doubt someone will now tell me the very, very best design.
Though I don't think I can afford the Peak Design one.
Suggestions welcome.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

Here's the bottom of the bracket if it's of any help. I never really understood the Arca Swiss and Quick Release Plates systems, I dislike tripods and almost never use them.
Though I do miss the very long exposure, astrophotography and nighscapes but like most bad things in my life I can blame my job for them.
Sorry, having a brain fart with that reference to Fotodiox. I meant Really Right Stuff. This one:
https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/olympus-em1-plates

Anyhow, I was trying to ask about the grip which seems to have a screw socket in it that allows you to attach your tripod/uno plate. The eBay link you posted for the grip doesn’t seem to have that socket, and neither to any other grips I’ve seen except the RRS one.
Thanks for the link, I might considere it buying at a later date, once I change my job and actually have a life to walk in the daylight like you non-vampire humies :p
I haven't done any landscape trips in years.

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
My E-M5 arrived today.
It looks unused and it appears the only thing missing is the little piece of wire that holds the battery charging lead tidy. :laugh:
Everything looks pristine and (although I've not checked yet) the shutter count is supposed to be 367.
That's more than being quoted in the other threads for brand new cameras. :eek-31:
View attachment 834188View attachment 834190

Shock, horror.

Suggestions welcome.
PD straps are great, but just about any wrist strap will do just fine. Enjoy your camera!

Joby dslr strap works fine as well:
https://m.alza.co.uk/joby-dslr-wrist-strap-grey-d4122122.htm

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for that.
I've got plenty of Lumix neck straps and a couple of flimsy wrist ones.

I'm thinking of just using the new camera with my Oly 60mm Macro lens, mostly in the garden,
so a good strong wrist strap might be the order of the day. :thumbup:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Shock, horror.

Suggestions welcome.
Got to your local camera shop and ask to root around in their camera strap bin. A lot of camera shops have one somewhere that they toss new straps into when they upgrade their customers to whatever the most profitable strap is that they sell.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sure, this is the one:

View attachment 834160

View attachment 834161
View attachment 834162

Being Aluminium it should file down very easily.
Looks like you have some sort of skin on the camera, could that be adding extra thickness preventing the battery door fully opening?
Never seen anything like that, Just did a google looks like a "life guard" product. Looks very nice but hard to put on correctly. Can it be remove for servicing?

View attachment 834198
Here's the bottom of the bracket if it's of any help. I never really understood the Arca Swiss and Quick Release Plates systems, I dislike tripods and almost never use them.
Though I do miss the very long exposure, astrophotography and nighscapes but like most bad things in my life I can blame my job for them.

Thanks for the link, I might considere it buying at a later date, once I change my job and actually have a life to walk in the daylight like you non-vampire humies :p
I haven't done any landscape trips in years.
Finally it arrived today:

View attachment 833648
(DAMN IT, I think the website hates ALL mobile devices, the picture was made with the iPad and it still doesn’t display properly, anywho) Finally got an L-Bracket for E-M1 Mark III, just a cheap (-ish, it was 10 quid) off eBay from China.

View attachment 833649
View attachment 833650
The reason why I bought it is to make the camera a few millimetres taller so my pinky actually sits on the grip. It’s so much more comfortable hold it, it just adds a big of extra grip and stability and I don’t even care about the L actually and just kept the I instead.

Also a few days ago I added a red ribbon to the left strap slug (first time in my life where I found a use for that thing), I got the ribbon from a friend and I named my camera after her: Karen (YES, I am that kind of “nutter” that gives names and personifies objects [YES, my loneliness and depression is that severe :p ])
This cheapo bracket just made my $200 RRS bracket obsolete? You didn’t have to do it:(

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
My E-M5 arrived today.

Shock, horror.

Suggestions welcome.
Great buy - well spotted still a great camera !

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My E-M5 arrived today.

Shock, horror.

Suggestions welcome.
Brilliant, Brian. Great buy.

The Sony sensor in that is better for noise (etc) than my E-M1 MkI, and I have no complaints about the shots I take with it!

Enjoy, mate :yahoo: .

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Having brand new car getting hit by a large semi-truck, decided the car will get a couple of cameras.

IROAD X10 UHD 4K dual camera setup.

Real Name
Roddy
Cleaning kit for my GX8 sensor. It was starting to look like the window of a sweet shop on pocket-money day. Works out that I will be able to do four cleans at home for the price of one in the nearest camera shop (bloody miles away - and it doesn't even have any m4/3 kit in it, sigh. But perhaps that is a good thing).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom