what photography related item did you buy this week?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I went to buy a photo album for my grandson last night and inadvertently clicked on an Olympus E-M5. :rolleyes:
Under 200 shots and under £200.
When I told the missus I'd just bought another camera, she thought I was joking.
Haven't explained yet......oh my. :eek-31:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I went to buy a photo album for my grandson last night and inadvertently clicked on an Olympus E-M5. :rolleyes:
Under 200 shots and under £200.
When I told the missus I'd just bought another camera, she thought I was joking.
Haven't explained yet......oh my. :eek-31:
My 75-300 is nine stops away. The hood arrived yesterday which has left the wife rather puzzled.

Need to stalk and intercept the amazon man before he rings the doorbell.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got me a new iPad. I’ve dropped down to a Mini 5 and so far it seems to be working quite well for casual media consumption. I find it a lot more comfortable to handle than a 10 inch + tablet.

Sometimes, less is more, but I suppose I’m preaching to the converted here :whistling:

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
I got me a new iPad. I’ve dropped down to a Mini 5 and so far it seems to be working quite well for casual media consumption. I find it a lot more comfortable to handle than a 10 inch + tablet.

Sometimes, less is more, but I suppose I’m preaching to the converted here :whistling:
That’s a nice little iPad. Still use my iPad mini 4 and it works nicely.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
That’s a nice little iPad. Still use my iPad mini 4 and it works nicely.
Yes, 8 inch is a great compromise between screen size and handling. I remember upgrading from an 8 inch to a similar spec 10 inch Android tablet a few years ago and regretted it instantly.

There are rumours that the Mini 6 is on the horizon with a bigger screen in a similar size shell , but I‘m not one for waiting :biggrin:

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
How is the image quality, can you compare it to classics like Panasonic 20/25/42.5mm f 1.7 or Olympus 25/45mm f 1.8?
I don't have a comparable prime in M4/3 to test against. I only have the small Oly 17mm-2.8 pancake which is not known for its superior sharpness, and it is not really a comparable FL.
I intend to compare with the P 35-100 f/4-5.6 @ 35mm, and with my Canon SL1 with the EF 40mm/2.8 STM pancake and/or with the 50mm/1.8.

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Yes, 8 inch is a great compromise between screen size and handling. I remember upgrading from an 8 inch to a similar spec 10 inch Android tablet a few years ago and regretted it instantly.

There are rumours that the Mini 6 is on the horizon with a bigger screen in a similar size shell , but I‘m not one for waiting :biggrin:
A Mini Pro with laminated screen and pen 2 support would be nice.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
My 2 lens caps and 3 in 1 silicone lens hood have arrived.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A Nikon W150, pink + flowers. My daughter will love it ....

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Meike/Neewer 35mm f/1.7
Got it from Amazon Canada for 80 CAD$ (about 65 USD) delivery included. Ordered Sunday and arrived yesterday.
This flavor is Neewer, but from what I understand this is exactly the same as Meike.
They are slightly different from the Pergear/Cheecar/Fujian - although it is quite possible it is made by the same people...
Meike/Neewer is 35mm-1.7; 6 elements / 5 groups
Pergear/Cheecar/Fujian is 35mm-1.6; 6 elements / 4 groups.

First impression: well packed, lens looks sturdy and well made, it feels solid and heavy. Focus and aperture rings turn smoothly, feels good.

It looks good on the GX85:
View attachment 833518
View attachment 833519

But on the GM5, it looks somewhat big...
View attachment 833520
And actually, the lens is just about the same weight (210g) as the GM5 body!

Now I need to shoot with it.
Looks nice!
If I may ask: Is the aperture clicked or clickless?

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
Looks nice!
If I may ask: Is the aperture clicked or clickless?
Clickless. I would have preferred if it clicked, but apparently video makers prefer clickless.
It however has a default.

Following is a test shot of a bookshelf:

The top 2/3 is actually quite good, comparable in sharpness to the Canon EF 40mm STM, and better than the Pana 35-100 @ 35mm. But there is a definite problem in the lower part, and in particular at the lower left corner:

We'll see if customer service comes with a solution...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom