what photography related item did you buy this week?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Asahi Pentax S3 w/Auto Takumar f:1.8/50 mm. Introduced during Photokina 1960.​
FV5_0333-01-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
FV5_0334-01-01.jpeg

Yashica J-P w/Auto Yashinon f:2/5 cm. Introduced 1964.​
FV5_0336-01-01.jpeg
FV5_0337-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
A pair of cheap ebay close up filters to act as lenses/covers for a pair of COB LED photo lights that I am building.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
That Yashica looks neat Erik.
If only all cameras were as simple as that these days!
But what's that rectangular block on the top?
If I may butt in? McKeowns Guide describes an external "finder" which couples with the shutter dial - that could be the mount. Since the camera has no meter perhaps a meter attachment rather than a "finder"?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
That Yashica looks neat Erik.
If only all cameras were as simple as that these days!
But what's that rectangular block on the top?
That's where the light meter goes! A simple camera. CdS light meter optional extra. Like Nikon with my non-CPU lenses. 🙄 And the Auto Yashinon lens looks pretty cool, when talking about non-CPU glass.

00ZL84-398893584.jpg

Picture "borrowed from the internet"... 🤫

But my S3 is more satisfying. One day I'll have to rustle up all my Pentax cameras. And a wide angle lens to get them in the same picture.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, I bought a cheap ($5) Powerextra BLS-50 Battery/Charger that is USB powered (either micro USB-B or USB-C) on ebay.

I figure that the BLS batteries use the standard lithium-ion chemistry and would not have the issues that the BLN/BLH batteries have with non-Olympus chargers.

While it may not be my main charger, being USB powered allows me to throw it in the camera bag in case I need charging remotely. The charger also has a 4 LED meter for each battery, so it will be useful to see what the charge level is.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Asahi Pentax S3 w/Auto Takumar f:1.8/50 mm. Introduced during PhotoKina 1960.​
View attachment 833358View attachment 833359
Yashica J-P w/Auto Yashinon f:2/5 cm. Introduced 1964.​
View attachment 833360View attachment 833361
Those are some damn beautiful pieces of metal art there Erik. That Yashica looks so gorgeous, both of them in a quite good condition I may add. I have the big brother of that Yashica lens, the Yashica Yashidon 50mm f 1.4, I think these lenses are slightly radioactive because mine has an orange tint to the coating. (I always wondered why they switched from cm to mm for the focal length somewhere around the 50-60, depending on the brand, I noticed that M42 and M/L39 lenses are more common in cm then in mm).

Ps. The way I got that Yashica 50mm f 1.4 was that I bought the Yashica 50mm f 2 (the lens you have) off eBay but when I got the package I was surprised (pleasantly) that in fact it was the f 1.4 instead, the seller never got back to me so I just kept it.

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Those are some damn beautiful pieces of metal art there Erik. That Yashica looks so gorgeous, both of them in a quite good condition I may add. I have the big brother of that Yashica lens, the Yashica Yashidon 50mm f 1.4, I think these lenses are slightly radioactive because mine has an orange tint to the coating. (I always wondered why they switched from cm to mm for the focal length somewhere around the 50-60, depending on the brand, I noticed that M42 and M/L39 lenses are more common in cm then in mm).
I was just thinking that! They are two beautiful objects. Only thing is that the self timer on the Yashica isn't working. It's not that big of a deal. As usual, I bought the lens, and the body was just attached to it, for a bonus. But if that Yashinon is radioactive, I'll have to stop sleeping with it. And the Yashica gets better the more I look at it. I like the top part of the prism housing, with the little plateau on it.

The Pentax doesn't have a self timer. And it's in beautiful condition. The bottom part of the Pentax case looks like new. I love it!! I'm thinking there's a real chance that I can get together all of the main Pentax models up till Spotmatic. Not all the variations, mind you! Have the S3, don't need the H3. But I'll take it if I see it. And I don't need them all in black.

Anyway, then there's always the complete series of Heinz Waaske Edixas. All eighty of them. I'm only short seventy five, or so 🤪...

Only kidding. I think.

And, oh, I got me a $15 Mamiya Prismat bellows, Exakta mount.
FV5_0340-01.jpeg

Fits the Tessar I managed to put back together. Sorry for the lousy pictures. I was in a hurry to play bellows.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
When you open up Europe's first Pentax SLR museum let me know, I will drop by for a visit :p
Not sure if it's allowed now. But you're absolutely welcome. Good deal for your Yashinon! When that sort of thing happens to me, it's always the other way around.

EDIT: the Centon is in Sweden. Waiting 🤩 for delivery...

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Not sure it's allowed now. But you're absolutely welcome. Good deal for your Yashinon! When that sort of thing happens to me, it's always the other way around.

EDIT: the Centon is in Sweden. Waiting 🤩 for delivery...
I am happy and relieved to hear that, I can't wait for you to get it ... I am sure you will find it ... plasticky deliciousness :p

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
Meike/Neewer 35mm f/1.7
Got it from Amazon Canada for 80 CAD$ (about 65 USD) delivery included. Ordered Sunday and arrived yesterday.
This flavor is Neewer, but from what I understand this is exactly the same as Meike.
They are slightly different from the Pergear/Cheecar/Fujian - although it is quite possible it is made by the same people...
Meike/Neewer is 35mm-1.7; 6 elements / 5 groups
Pergear/Cheecar/Fujian is 35mm-1.6; 6 elements / 4 groups.

First impression: well packed, lens looks sturdy and well made, it feels solid and heavy. Focus and aperture rings turn smoothly, feels good.

It looks good on the GX85:

But on the GM5, it looks somewhat big...

And actually, the lens is just about the same weight (210g) as the GM5 body!

Now I need to shoot with it.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here's the Manfrotto 244 Mini "Magic Arm" and SuperClamp that I recently got. It weighs about the same as my Siriu 025X carbon fiber tripod but it feels heavier because it's much smaller. This thing is seriously overbuilt which almost makes up for the hideous price. For me, it's a tough sell for still photography by itself. But I also plan to use it to mount my action cams for interesting B-roll clips so I think it'll get enough use to make it worthwhile to me.

I attached a Neewer Fish Bone Clamp to one end of the arm (standard 1/4-20 threaded stud) which is Arca Swiss compatible so I can attach my cameras directly to it w/o using a ballhead (all my cameras have Peak Design Capture Clips on them).

Here it is with my G9 + Panasonic 35-100/2.8 on it and setup as a so-so table top tripod:

Here it is beside my G9 so you can get another idea of its size:

Clamped to a table leg:

Clamped to a window:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Just got myself one of these (click on the picture to link through to the rareadapters Facebook page). Hoping for some decent weather so I can try out some of my Mamiya-Sekor CS lenses soon :thumbsup:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Meike/Neewer 35mm f/1.7
Got it from Amazon Canada for 80 CAD$ (about 65 USD) delivery included. Ordered Sunday and arrived yesterday.
This flavor is Neewer, but from what I understand this is exactly the same as Meike.
They are slightly different from the Pergear/Cheecar/Fujian - although it is quite possible it is made by the same people...
Meike/Neewer is 35mm-1.7; 6 elements / 5 groups
Pergear/Cheecar/Fujian is 35mm-1.6; 6 elements / 4 groups.

First impression: well packed, lens looks sturdy and well made, it feels solid and heavy. Focus and aperture rings turn smoothly, feels good.

It looks good on the GX85:
View attachment 833518
View attachment 833519

But on the GM5, it looks somewhat big...
View attachment 833520
And actually, the lens is just about the same weight (210g) as the GM5 body!

Now I need to shoot with it.
How is the image quality, can you compare it to classics like Panasonic 20/25/42.5mm f 1.7 or Olympus 25/45mm f 1.8?
Ive recently watched a video and Matthias said that these Chinese lenses have more character to their IQ then Panasonic similar.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Here's the Manfrotto 244 Mini "Magic Arm" and SuperClamp that I recently got. It weighs about the same as my Siriu 025X carbon fiber tripod but it feels heavier because it's much smaller. This thing is seriously overbuilt which almost makes up for the hideous price. For me, it's a tough sell for still photography by itself. But I also plan to use it to mount my action cams for interesting B-roll clips so I think it'll get enough use to make it worthwhile to me.

I attached a Neewer Fish Bone Clamp to one end of the arm (standard 1/4-20 threaded stud) which is Arca Swiss compatible so I can attach my cameras directly to it w/o using a ballhead (all my cameras have Peak Design Capture Clips on them).
View attachment 833528

Here it is with my G9 + Panasonic 35-100/2.8 on it and setup as a so-so table top tripod:
View attachment 833527

View attachment 833532

Clamped to a table leg:
View attachment 833529

Clamped to a window:
View attachment 833531
The superclamp is a rather agricultural device considering its Italian heritage. It would be a shame to put a groove in that nice window frame.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The superclamp is a rather agricultural device considering its Italian heritage. It would be a shame to put a groove in that nice window frame.
I totally agree. It seems capable of applying a great deal of force so I must use my power wisely. ;-)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu

View attachment 833528

View attachment 833527

View attachment 833532

Clamped to a table leg:
View attachment 833529

Clamped to a window:
View attachment 833531
Nice! Been looking for a cheaper one but haven't found any with decent price/quality ratio...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom