what photography related item did you buy this week?

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I prefer the way Pentax and Sony handled their mounts: in Pentax K both APSC and 35mm Full frame are compatible on the same mount, same with Sony A and Sony FE, further more even if you try to put APSC optimised lenses on 35mm Full Frame you still have 100% benefit of them except for the 1.5x additional crop to account for vignetting, even the naming scheme is quite way to understand:
Pentax DA for APSC and FA or D-FA for 35mm
Sony E for APSC and FE for 35mm
Sony DT for APSC and Non DT for 35mm

While it’s not preferable to use APSC lenses in 35mm Full Frame cameras at least their functionality and value is not completely lost (basically e-waste) if you do decided to upgrade your camera for APSC to 35mm Full Frame.
Nikon’s approach with their mirrorless is the same with difference if IBIS vs VR (which does lose that feature if you mix the formats) but at least you don’t manufacture a 2nd or a 3rd or even a 4th (yes, Canon EF, EF-S, M, RF) lineup of dedicated lenses spreading out resources, manpower, machinery and production facilities, warranty and service for the sake of product separation and fragmentation (The Canon Cripple Hammer As it’s know). If you are a huge corporation that has the funds to afford bad decisions it doesn’t meant that those bad decisions should be made. Consolidation or resources and product lines is what they camera manufactures need to survive through this (Nikon Keystone, Nikon DL, Sony VZ-1 most recently)
Don't forget this about Pentax: they have kept the same flange distance since they started making ILCs in the 1950's. Furthermore, they have made all later mounts compatible (with or without adapter) with ALL their previous lenses. And they have been capable to steadily upgrade the technical capabilities of their mount to be no less advanced than any competition they are facing.

Does that mean that the competition is less technically capable than Pentax, or does it mean they don't give a rats *ss about anything else than their users money?

Anyway, it's a great argument for buying Pentax next and every time!

The Pentax Q is not included in this argument, as it's a totally different, and unique kind of ILC that isn't equalled by any competitor. And yes, you can mount any lens from Pentax other cameras on the Q, but with a 5.6 x crop factor.
Fact is, you can practically mount everything on the Q.

Also not included are the Pentax 67 and the 645, as they are in a different class of cameras.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I prefer the way Pentax and Sony handled their mounts: in Pentax K both APSC and 35mm Full frame are compatible on the same mount, same with Sony A and Sony FE, further more even if you try to put APSC optimised lenses on 35mm Full Frame you still have 100% benefit of them except for the 1.5x additional crop to account for vignetting, even the naming scheme is quite way to understand:
Pentax DA for APSC and FA or D-FA for 35mm
Sony E for APSC and FE for 35mm
Sony DT for APSC and Non DT for 35mm

While it’s not preferable to use APSC lenses in 35mm Full Frame cameras at least their functionality and value is not completely lost (basically e-waste) if you do decided to upgrade your camera for APSC to 35mm Full Frame.
Nikon’s approach with their mirrorless is the same with difference if IBIS vs VR (which does lose that feature if you mix the formats) but at least you don’t manufacture a 2nd or a 3rd or even a 4th (yes, Canon EF, EF-S, M, RF) lineup of dedicated lenses spreading out resources, manpower, machinery and production facilities, warranty and service for the sake of product separation and fragmentation (The Canon Cripple Hammer As it’s know). If you are a huge corporation that has the funds to afford bad decisions it doesn’t meant that those bad decisions should be made. Consolidation or resources and product lines is what they camera manufactures need to survive through this (Nikon Keystone, Nikon DL, Sony VZ-1 most recently)
apple to apples
If you are comparing Canon dSLR + mirrorless; EF, EF-S, M, RF
Then you have to compare same for Nikon: FX, DX, Z-FX, Z-DX.

I can put an EF lens on an EF-S camera, just as I can put a FX lens on a DX camera.

While I could put a DX lens on an FX camera, the crop factor vigentting could prevent the practical use of the DX lens. FX cameras can switch into to DX mode. But if you have to shoot in DX mode, why upgrade to FX?
Personally when I was planning my DX to FX upgrade, I would leave my DX lenses behind and replace them with the appropriate FX lenses. That is why I did not get the DX 16-80/2.8-4 lens, as the cost would lock me into DX. The more you invest into a system, the harder it is to leave.

If you have an APS-C system, and are planning to upgrade to FF, you buy FF lenses instead of APS-C lenses, whenever possible.
If you buy APS-C lenses, you expect to leave them behind, when you upgrade to FF.
That is why most of my lenses are FX lenses, so I can still use them on a FX camera.

Both Canon and Nikon have a full line of APS-C dSLR lenses. Not near as good as the FF line, but they have a complete line of lenses from wide to tele.
Nikon DX may have the same F mount as the FX, but it is still a full separate line of both cameras and lenses.
According to the Nikon USA web site, Nikon has 26 DX lenses, covering from 10mm out to 300mm.​

As for crippling, you have not even touched on the compatibility or lack of compatibility within the Nikon F lenses.

pre-AI, AI, AF-S, AF-P, G, E, etc.​
And they have to match up to specific cameras and models.​
  • I cannot get full use of a DX AF-P lens on my D7200. If I had an earlier D7xxx camera, I could not even use an AF-P lens.
  • The Nikon D3xxx and D5xxx cameras cannot autofocus any AF lens, as they do not have a body autofocus motor that those lenses require. Thus the D3xxx and D5xxx REQUIRE the use of AF-S lenses.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
apple to apples
If you are comparing Canon dSLR + mirrorless; EF, EF-S, M, RF
Then you have to compare same for Nikon: FX, DX, Z-FX, Z-DX.

I can put an EF lens on an EF-S camera, just as I can put a FX lens on a DX camera.

While I could put a DX lens on an FX camera, the crop factor vigentting could prevent the practical use of the DX lens. FX cameras can switch into to DX mode. But if you have to shoot in DX mode, why upgrade to FX?
Personally when I was planning my DX to FX upgrade, I would leave my DX lenses behind and replace them with the appropriate FX lenses. That is why I did not get the DX 16-80/2.8-4 lens, as the cost would lock me into DX. The more you invest into a system, the harder it is to leave.

If you have an APS-C system, and are planning to upgrade to FF, you buy FF lenses instead of APS-C lenses, whenever possible.
If you buy APS-C lenses, you expect to leave them behind, when you upgrade to FF.
That is why most of my lenses are FX lenses, so I can still use them on a FX camera.

Both Canon and Nikon have a full line of APS-C dSLR lenses. Not near as good as the FF line, but they have a complete line of lenses from wide to tele.
Nikon DX may have the same F mount as the FX, but it is still a full separate line of both cameras and lenses.
According to the Nikon USA web site, Nikon has 26 DX lenses, covering from 10mm out to 300mm.​

As for crippling, you have not even touched on the compatibility or lack of compatibility within the Nikon F lenses.

pre-AI, AI, AF-S, AF-P, G, E, etc.​
And they have to match up to specific cameras and models.​
  • I cannot get full use of a DX AF-P lens on my D7200. If I had an earlier D7xxx camera, I could not even use an AF-P lens.
  • The Nikon D3xxx and D5xxx cameras cannot autofocus any AF lens, as they do not have a body autofocus motor that those lenses require. Thus the D3xxx and D5xxx REQUIRE the use of AF-S lenses.
I am not as well versed in Nikon or Canon world, I know there are limitations in the F mount as there are limitations in K mount (sorry @Erich_H but it's not all green and butterflies for Pentax, they have been crippling their cameras with plenty incompatibilities like aperture mechanical control on K and M lenses as well as limitation in AF and metering with F and some FA lenses, of which I am sure you know, but yes at least you can mount and use most of the features in of 70 years of Pentax lenses).
I still believe there's a utility in using APS-C lenses on 35mm FF when you want to either keep the lens size and weight down or need more reach and with the advent and push of high megapickles cameras there's is still plenty to get out of the limitations of 1.5x cropping. And it's better to have the choice and not use it then not have the choice at all.
Maybe the number of mount options out there will diminish once DSLRs have gone down in sale and Mirrorless remain the major manufacturing formats that will still put some manufacturers at competition not just with other brands but with themselves, against each of their specific mounts.
(Personally, if Sony A cameras didn't have such bad ergonomics, well they are better now then 1st gen, with my own hands and usage I would have gotten into one APS-C for wildlife and one 35mm FF for the landscape because the lenses work so well with each other's bodies ... but I stuck with Olympus after I saw the size of Sony 200-600mm and no release of the A7000 making the E-M1 Mark III a better choice in terms of performance and size at some sacrifice of IQ).

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Bought an EM1 III on getolympus's recent 20% reconditioned sale. It'll be arriving tomorrow. Woo hoo!
The camera arrived yesterday. Now that it's a reality, I can tell you about the great deal I got. I ordered it on the morning of the outlet sale and got an order confirmation. Waiting for the shipping confirmation. Instead, I got an order cancellation the next day. They said it was out of stock when I ordered it, but they didn't inform me until the next day. They said they were really sorry, and to make up for it, they promised to sell me a new EM1 III for the outlet sale price. They were as good as their word. A couple of days later, they allowed me to purchase a new 1.3 for the price of the reconditioned one on sale. And, that's what I got! Wow, what service. Olympus fan for life! (as if I wasn't already) :dance4:

IMG_2485.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
The camera arrived yesterday. Now that it's a reality, I can tell you about the great deal I got. I ordered it on the morning of the outlet sale and got an order confirmation. Waiting for the shipping confirmation. Instead, I got an order cancellation the next day. They said it was out of stock when I ordered it, but they didn't inform me until the next day. They said they were really sorry, and to make up for it, they promised to sell me a new EM1 III for the outlet sale price. They were as good as their word. A couple of days later, they allowed me to purchase a new 1.3 for the price of the reconditioned one on sale. And, that's what I got! Wow, what service. Olympus fan for life (as if I wasn't already)!

View attachment 826232
Very nice deal indeed. I had issues with my E-M1 Mk. III when I ordered it at the end of March but that was an issue with Clifton Cameras. They somewhat rectified the delay of 3 days but I didn't get a deal as good as you :p
Please do enjoy it (it took me a while to get through the transition from Mk. I to Mk. III, actually I'm still working on it :p )

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Very nice deal indeed. I had issues with my E-M1 Mk. III when I ordered it at the end of March but that was an issue with Clifton Cameras. They somewhat rectified the delay of 3 days but I didn't get a deal as good as you :p
Please do enjoy it (it took me a while to get through the transition from Mk. I to Mk. III, actually I'm still working on it :p )
Thanks. I'm stepping up from a Mk. II, but there are still quite a few new things I have to digest. I never exceeded the capabilities of the earlier model, and I'm sure it will be the same here. Gotta keep trying. :)

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
(sorry @Erich_H but it's not all green and butterflies for Pentax, they have been crippling their cameras with plenty incompatibilities like aperture mechanical control on K and M lenses as well as limitation in AF and metering with F and some FA lenses, of which I am sure you know, but yes at least you can mount and use most of the features in of 70 years of Pentax lenses).
So, that the older lenses can't use all the capabilities of newer cameras is equal to crippling?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Thanks. I'm stepping up from a Mk. II, but there are still quite a few new things I have to digest. I never exceeded the capabilities of the earlier model, and I'm sure it will be the same here. Gotta keep trying. :)
I was hitting the limit of the AF on the Mk. I and frustrations really pushed me in the last 2 weeks before the purchase while I was pondering and researching alternatives for about 6 months before that. The improvements are remarkable, AF and to a lesser degree IQ.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
So, that the older lenses can't use all the capabilities of newer cameras is equal to crippling?
That's not what I meant, I meant that Pentax has been stripping KAF mount features that made them less functional with older lenses. You can find more information here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-mount.html
(I mentioned it as crippling because there seems to be no reason to remove hardware from the KAF mount and yet they did).

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
That's not what I meant, I meant that Pentax has been stripping KAF mount features that made them less functional with older lenses. You can find more information here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-mount.html
(I mentioned it as crippling because there seems to be no reason to remove hardware from the KAF mount and yet they did).
You'll just have to use the green button to tell the body what aperture you're shooting at.
What's the problem?
Also I can't see where the problem is with older bodies not being able to use all features of newer lenses.
But, maybe I'm missing something here.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
You'll just have to use the green button to tell the body what aperture you're shooting at.
What's the problem?
Also I can't see where the problem is with older bodies not being able to use all features of newer lenses.
But, maybe I'm missing something here.
Maybe it’s not as a big issue as it was back in 2010 when I was using Pentax, I remember a lot of people being unhappy with the updates that Pentax made with some of the *ist and Kxx cameras. I am willing to admit that I was wrong if that is the case.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Maybe it’s not as a big issue as it was back in 2010 when I was using Pentax, I remember a lot of people being unhappy with the updates that Pentax made with some of the *ist and Kxx cameras. I am willing to admit that I was wrong if that is the case.
You're not wrong, technically. But I'm using the buggers, and what works, works. Btw, I just put a T-mount to K adapter on my Taisei Kōgaku.

Haven't decided yet if I'm going to take a Pentax with that with me tomorrow, or the Isco-Göttingen Iscotar f:2.8/50 mm on the E-PL1.
If it's sunny it'll be the Taisei Kōgaku.

I tried the Vorwahlspringblende Tessar today, and the E-PL1 screen is close to unreadable in bright sunshine, as it was today.

Last edited:

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
New stuff for my work : A Housing for the EM1 mk 2.
Now I will probably sell my Pen-f , 75mm and 17mm f1.8 to buy a Cinema camera as I get more and more video related work...

JasonF

New to Mu-43
I am considering purchasing the Leofoto LS-324CEX tripod and putting a Manfrotto BVH-500AH video head on it. I am curious as to your impression of the tripod in use. The Leofoto BV-10 video head looks to be similar to the Manfrotto and is also a consideration.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
New speedlight( faster than a flashgun ?) and transmitter. Not dwarfing camera and 40 year old flash bracket. Run and gun.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Oooh - Stitz modular grip system - nice.

I have a real problem with that protective cellophane that remains on the front of your flashgun though. Please remove it. It's bugging me.
Sorry. I have not updated the software on either yet. I have windows. What advantages will I get from the updates.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
When Godox release firmware updates, it seems to be to accommodate new models, camera firmware updates and fix the odd bug.

I confess to being a luddite. I rarely update firmware unless forced to on the grounds that if it's working, why make it work differently?
You're quite right! Technology is dangerous! And costly, says I, poor pauper.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Picked up an oddball for the D600. I wanted to catch a deal on something 85/2ish but found a Quantaray (sigma) 90/2.8 AF with limter switch. Just 1:2 native but came with a multiplier.. we'll see if that's in the (original) box. Probably big stuff in 2005! Also probably cost more than $100~ that i paid too :)

Similar to this a-mount copy; hope the hood is in there too ..

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom