what photography related item did you buy this week?

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
I hit the button on an intervalometer. (what a convoluted word) Means remote timer.
For my E-M5 II and astro shooting. So I can set it to take a bundle of photos while I head back inside into the warmth.
Tired of freezing trying to make 2 minute exposures manually.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I hit the button on an intervalometer. (what a convoluted word) Means remote timer.
For my E-M5 II and astro shooting. So I can set it to take a bundle of photos while I head back inside into the warmth.

View attachment 825694
I haven't had one of those since my old Panasonic G2 so many moons ago ... and I think it was the reason why my G2 died as well, that was very painful in a very unfortunate time.

Michael Houston

New to Mu-43
I spied a Yi M1 plus a 42.5mm f1.8 brand new on Amazon for $179. That's less than most Oly lenses used and I get a free glove-box camera. We'll see...

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon

View attachment 825694
Do you know that the E-M5 Mark II has a built in intervalometer?

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I spied a Yi M1 plus a 42.5mm f1.8 brand new on Amazon for $179. That's less than most Oly lenses used and I get a free glove-box camera. We'll see...
Not a bad deal! What colour is it?

I ordered the black two lens kit from China last Black Friday. When it arrived, my mail service sent it back to China for no good reason. With not a lot of hope, as the supplier was totally out of stock, I contacted the Chinese seller (YI Store) for reshipment. And they did respond and reship!! A bit surprising!

Of course it was a white one, but better than nothing. Lenses have plastic bayonets, but aren't bad. I've used the 42.5 mm quite a lot on my Olys. The YI M1 body outputs nice 20 MP RAWs from the Sony sensor.

My kit was just under $200 inc. shipping and customs duty.

The 42.5 mm lens alone goes for $70 - $80 in China right now.

Go for it! And update to ver. 3.20 firmware when you get it!

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

I ordered the black two lens kit from China last Black Friday. When it arrived, my mail service sent it back to China for no good reason. With not a lot of hope, as the supplier was totally out of stock, I contacted the Chinese seller (YI Store) for resending. And they did!! A bit surprising!

Of course it was a white one, but better than nothing. Lenses have plastic bayonets, but aren't bad. I've used the 42.5 mm quite a lot. The body outputs OK 20 MP RAWs from the Sony sensor.

I have been looking at the Yi kit as well, out of curiosity. Quite interested in that 20 MP output and I don't own a lens faster than f 2.8 yet. Though I don't need another camera right now :)

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
I have been looking at the Yi kit as well, out of curiosity. Quite interested in that 20 MP output and I don't own a lens faster than f 2.8 yet. Though I don't need another camera right now :)
They are not available in China any more. No more YI real cameras are forthcoming. They only make boring "action cameras" now.

And, yes, you do need another camera.
Any normal person always needs a new camera!

Last edited:

Michael Houston

New to Mu-43

I ordered the black two lens kit from China last Black Friday. When it arrived, my mail service sent it back to China for no good reason. With not a lot of hope, as the supplier was totally out of stock, I contacted the Chinese seller (YI Store) for resending. And they did!! A bit surprising!

Of course it was a white one, but better than nothing. Lenses have plastic bayonets, but aren't bad. I've used the 42.5 mm quite a lot. The body outputs OK 20 MP RAWs from the Sony sensor.

It's "Storm Black": Amazon link

I don't expect the camera to be as good as my Oly (E-M10 Mark III), but it's cheap! Plus a fast prime in a range I don't have.

Michael Houston

New to Mu-43
"I don't need another camera right now." I don't "need" half the crap I have, but that didn't slow me down one iota. :dance3:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
It's "Storm Black": Amazon link

I don't expect the camera to be as good as my Oly (E-M10 Mark III), but it's cheap! Plus a fast prime in a range I don't have.
No, no! The body is not anywhere near as good as an Olympus!

You should think about it as a good sensor in a box. Use the body in manual, maybe with adapted lenses!

When I use my body in [P] mode, I use it with an old Olympus plastic kit lens. It deserves nothing better, when not used in manual.

The body lens mount is metal, at least.
And the black body is good looking, too!

Also, the Android remote viewfinder app works fine!

Buy it, and trade the body for my white one!

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Yi M1 on Amazon has 2.5* rating which surprises me. Its a sub $200 camera with pretty good fast prime lens. Most of the complaints seem to be related to AF. Is it that bad>
Auto focus maybe has something to do with the combination of the lens used with the body. With an 14-42 old Olympus plastic kit lens it's not that bad, imo. And the 42.5 mm XiaoYi lens in combination with an Olympus body works fine! Not worse than any other AF lens. Just the usual problem of getting the autofocus to focus on the things you want it to focus on. But then, I've always preferred manual focus.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Some of the Amazon reviews I saw this morning associate the poor reviews with older firmware. But AF quality did stand out for me as a concern.
Use the firmware version 3.2 (latest)! Other than that, I refer you to my above posts.

_3202298.JPG

E-PL1 w/XiaoYi f:1.8/42.5 mm sooc.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Just the camera. Not the picture orientation. Made to be pocket friendly?
Ah, Canon had a vertical P&S camera. See below. BTW, speaking of portrait orientation. The original Olympus PEN half-frame cameras were by default portrait mode. You had to turn the camera sideways to get landscape mode!

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Ah, Canon had a vertical P&S camera. See below. BTW, speaking of portrait orientation. The original Olympus PEN half-frame cameras were by default portrait mode. You had to turn the camera sideways to get landscape mode!

View attachment 825836
I know the Pen FT. Had one, back in the day. It was stolen from me... 😭😭😭

Another candidate for repurchase, when I get the chance. Unfortunately, they are few, and far between. And pricey. Probably that's why I'm drowning my sorrows in Exaktas...

This Canon, however, was new to me.
What vintage? EDIT: 2007, 7.1 MPix

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Ek het uiteindelik die koeël gebyt!

I've ordered a 4K 55 inch telly to replace my old 32 inch "HD ready" Samsung, which is in its final throes on the death bed.

It's taking about 5 minutes to start up and losing the channel settings all the time.

I guess this could qualify as a photo related purchase, as I can show my pictures on this device, inbetween watching my SF movies on it. It'll be delivered Monday. Looking forward to meeting it in person!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom