what photography related item did you buy this week?

Real Name
Ovidiu
Well, I wrote about ordering HLD-8g grip and HLD-6p battery holder for my Olympus OM-D EM-5ii. It came and it has breathed life into a camera I seldom picked up because it was hard to hold in my big hands and I preferred the feel of the EM-1 with HLD 7, I bought the HLD-6p from Adorama for $59.00 and the HLD-8g from UsedPhotoProfor $75.00 and they were worth every penny as it makes the EM 5ii feel just right with the 40-150mm 2.8 Pro. Great purchase. Then on Tuesday, the Kolibri drone came from BH Photo and my wife became so excited that we had to drive about 70 miles into the Flint Hills so she could try it out. She forgot the batteries for the control unit so she had to try an app on her smartphone. It was a wonderful day in the Hills and we found a very secluded area that was semi-flat for the test. Actually, her first test with the smartphone was inside our house, and thankfully it has a feature that turns it off when it hit something which you can be assured that it did and it did stop but her control with the cellphone was at best, marginal. Instead of driving some 30 miles for batteries for the control unit, she decided to fly away and it did and it continued to fly for hundreds of feet without any left, right, return on her phone. Here is a picture of take-offView attachment 824309View attachment 824310 and one of her looking for it. She did find it so it was good but the control never started the camera. We will be out this weekend with real batteries with a real control unit. :)
You are inspiring me to do what I said I won't do again ... this month: buy another thing. I completely agree with you on the E-M5 Mark II, the grip and the narrow space between the EVF and the end of the camera make my hand cringe in pain after 20 minutes of holding it even with the lightest of lenses (I have a long hand :( ). I got a cheap Chinese aluminum L bracket grip which makes it more bearable but still not comfortable enough (especially for the tip of the fingers because it squeezes them between the grip and the lens barrel if it thinks enough lens (which all my lenses except Sigma 60mm f 2.8 are). I would have loved the E-M5 Mark II more otherwise.

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Well, it was kind of a fun photography day today, and I didn't shoot a single image. With the relaxation of business restrictions, the two closest camera shops (and neither one is actually close...) are both open, with the restriction of masks, and the one I went to today checked my temperature. I wasn't really looking for anything, just glad to hit the road and darken their door.

I picked up a couple PX625 batteries to check out SWMBO's Nikon FTn, the Seikonic meter I picked up in a bundle, and the two semi-derelict M42 bodies I also picked up (and want to sell). Well, the answers were nope, nope, nope, and probably. The meter in the nicer of the two bodies (Sears TLS by Ricoh) appears to work. The battery check on the Nikon works, but the meter doesn't. The other two appear to be DOA, but there may be a mechanical issue with the meter needle on the other (actually Ricoh) TLS, because it's resting in the wrong place-up instead of down. I ain't disassembling them.

I also picked up two authentic Asahi M42 body caps (hoping to need them to increase the value of the TLS-es. And a 77mm lens cap for an incoming piece of folly. The caps were free. Why? Because I couldn't resist a really nice silver-nose Olympus 135/2.8. Clean as a whistle, with proper Oly caps.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I thought it looked best on the E-M5.2, 'cuz it was the closest to the OM-x it probably was bought for.

You are inspiring me to do what I said I won't do again ... this month: buy another thing. I completely agree with you on the E-M5 Mark II, the grip and the narrow space between the EVF and the end of the camera make my hand cringe in pain after 20 minutes of holding it even with the lightest of lenses (I have a long hand :( ). I got a cheap Chinese aluminum L bracket grip which makes it more bearable but still not comfortable enough (especially for the tip of the fingers because it squeezes them between the grip and the lens barrel if it thinks enough lens (which all my lenses except Sigma 60mm f 2.8 are). I would have loved the E-M5 Mark II more otherwise.
You might want to try Fotodiox grip for EM5.2, which goes for $30. I had a cheapo Chinese L bracket/grip and Fotodiox grip is 10x better at ergonomics.
Fotodiox grip

Real Name
Ovidiu
You might want to try Fotodiox grip for EM5.2, which goes for $30. I had a cheapo Chinese L bracket/grip and Fotodiox grip is 10x better at ergonomics.
Fotodiox grip
Thanks, I will get the Olympus one for the bigger and taller grip and the extra front dial to make it more similar to the E-1s (don't know why they had to change the E-M1 X front dial but doesn't matter right now, I don't have one).

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
WHERE did you get them?
I need a couple, but the PX625 have been long out of production.
The alkaline equivalents are the wrong voltage and the zinc/air replacement only lasts 3 months.
Okay, I mis-spoke, because I was too lazy to go look at the package. You're correct, it's the alkaline replacement; EPX625G. My bad.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I think a simulator or drone based camera makes it easier, as you are looking from the drone, so Right is Right.
But being on the ground looking at the drone flying back towards you, it is reversed. That is where I get confused. I remember it for a bit, fly it away from me, then fly it back and I forget :confused: I just can't seem to place my head IN the drone, like R/C pilots can.
The simulator I tried was from the viewpoint of the pilot on the ground, so one had to figure out the left-right reversal to fly it back to you. Needless to say, I crashed a lot! :)

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
New to m43, I believe I’ve pretty much settled on a group of lenses that meet my needs. After months of internal debate, I finally broke down and purchased a 14-140. The missing 12mm was the issue but I needed more reach in the U.S. west and changing lenses in the desert is not my first choice.

Will sell the P45-150, the P12-60 and a P25. The former 2 I no longer need. The latter was not a happy marriage with my GM1 (diameter) and was replaced with the smaller O25/1.8.

Convenient carry: GM1 + the primes and 12-32.
Travel indoors: GX85 + 12-35
Travel outdoors: GX85 + 14-140

About the only item I’m keeping an eye on is the rumor about a GX10. Give it a larger/sharper evf and I'm a buyer.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The simulator I tried was from the viewpoint of the pilot on the ground, so one had to figure out the left-right reversal to fly it back to you. Needless to say, I crashed a lot! :)
I had thought about getting a simulator for my done, but kept putting it off.
Then I found the underground office parking lot and just started using it. The only limitation were lack of vertical height (only 10ft), and avoiding the posts (easy to do close to me, harder to do farther away).
I have not flown in so long that I very likely will have the L/R confusion again.

When I got really confused, I would reverse the drone, and fly it backwards to me, so that the L/R matched my eyes.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I found two independent reports that the 58mm Canon 500D close-focus ring can be mounted on the 67mm front of a 100-300mm lens without vignette. I happen to have both. So of course I ordered a step-down ring last night as soon as B&H opened for business. :cool: Along with a couple of lens caps and SD cards that I found a need for. What a coincidence that this all costs just enough for free expedited shipping! :laugh1:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Fujifilm MX-1700

This is not so much of a purchase, but more of an adoption.

This Fujifilm MX-1700 [of 1999 vintage] was given to me by my brother.

It was going to be thrown out in the trash, as being dead and useless, at his place of work, but he showed it some long overdue kindness and mercy, and therefore brought it to me, to give it a new foreverhome.

So what's the what with this one?

For starters, the battery is only capable of one exposure, before being totally depleted.

Luckily the charger cable is really lengthy, so it can be used for indoor cat photography, but outdoor photography usefulness is severely hampered by this battery handicap.

The 4-way control has a really really dead [Down] button, and Fujifilm, in its prehistoric take on wisdom, has only programmed the menu to a full stop when you reach the top. It doesn't wraparound. So going downmenu is not an option. You're stuck at the top. Which is where the [Setup] menu starts.

But I've deduced, by the absence of a small screw in the body of the beast, that some repair attempts have been made.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to set the date yet, on account of the abovementioned hardware issue, so it's kinda permanently stuck at January 2nd, 1999.

Which got me thinking of the Prince hit song Party Like It's 1999, when doing this write up. That was a great one!

And also the Extremely Boring Reverend Bob's song The Times They Are A-Changin'. Don't happen that often that I'm thinking about the EBRB nowadays, but a passing thought did occur briefly on this occasion.

The only [Setup] option therefore available to me is the [Quality] option, so obviously I set it to the [Fine 1280 x 1024 px] resolution, which leaves room for all of 10 pictures on the accompanying memory card, an 8 MB SmartMedia card.

Which is now well and truly filled up. Go figure!
The next challenge for me will be to find a card reader accepting SmartMedia cards, as this camera was released in the pre-USB days.

In 1999, the list price was US $ 599:-

FV5_0107-01.jpeg
FV5_0102-01.jpeg
FV5_0104-01.jpeg
FV5_0108-01.jpeg
FV5_0106-01.jpeg
FV5_0109-01.jpeg

As usual, pictures shot on Nokia 6.1 Plus with Camera FV-5 app. DNG:s developed, cropped, and framed in Snapseed.

Fujifilm MX-1700 tech stats:
  • 1.5 megapixel sensor capturing images of up to 1280 x 1024 pixel resolution.
  • Super Fujinon glass lens with 3 x optical zoom [f:3.2 - f:7.0 wide angle, f:5.0 - f:11.5 telephoto].
  • Focal length range equivalent to 38 mm to 114 mm on a 35 mm camera.
  • 2 x digital zoom.
  • TTL autofocus from 31.5 inches to infinity in normal mode and from 9.8 to 31.5 inches in telephoto.
  • ISO equivalent to 125.
  • Shutter speeds 1/4 to 1/2000 sec.
  • Optical viewfinder.
  • 2 inch [130,000 px] TFT LCD monitor.
  • 1.2 - 4.0 x zoom in playback.
  • Built-in flash with five settings
  • [Auto, Red-Eye Reduction, Forced, Suppressed, Night/Slow Synchro].
  • Flash range of 9.8/11.8 feet at telephoto/wide angle lens settings.
  • Mode dial and rocker toggle button simplify menu operation [as described above].
  • Manual exposure mode allows control of both ambient and flash exposure, as well as white balance setting [messing with white balance is a bad idea! The battery has to be removed before you can get the auto white balance setting restored].
  • Burst mode with three frames per second in 640 x 480 resolution.
  • Special effects functions [Sepia, Black and White, Starburst, Rainbow Starburst] available for in camera editing [have tried the two Starburst settings. Why not? Also the effects are way better than on the Megxon C580!].
  • High grade, aluminum-magnesium alloy body [this is still something to be proud of. Wish my new cameras had this!].
  • Built-in, automatically retracting lens cover [Wow!].
  • Compatible with 3.3V [2 MB to 32 MB] SmartMedia.
  • Runs on a rechargeable NP-80 lithium-ion battery.
QUOTE [www.imaging-resource.com]
... our first "take" on the MX-1700 is very positive: It takes excellent pictures, and is small enough to fit comfortably into any shirt pocket or purse with ease. By combining a zoom lens with the tiny form-factor of their earlier MX-700, we think Fuji's produced a real winner. ...

... With an opening list price of $599, street prices should be in the $500 - 550 range, which should translate into good sales: That's not a bad price for 1.5 MP with zoom ...
UNQUOTE

And, no, I've obviously got nothing better to do with my life, than testing the old stuff!

But now, at least, the sun has come out.

It's time to go outside and test out some old, German glass!

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Picked up a set of GOBE ND filters ND8 ND64 and ND1000.
I keep wanting to pick up a set, but what sizes? The Oly lenses are different sizes and the vintage lenses are different sizes yet. To get three of each I'd need to get an installment loan, and that's not a reflection on Gobe at all. If I got step up/down rings...I'd never use 'em.

And I am rather excited at the prospect :laugh: Sometimes my excitement at buying stuff overwhelms actually using that stuff. I should know having owned it before, twice, A7R II despite its stunning sensor and IQ is hardly a pleasant camera to use.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Fujifilm MX-1700

This is not so much of a purchase, but more of an adoption.

This Fujifilm MX-1700 [of 1999 vintage] was given to me by my brother.

It was going to be thrown out in the trash, as being dead and useless, at his place of work, but he showed it some long overdue kindness and mercy, and therefore brought it to me, to give it a new foreverhome.

So what's the what with this one?

For starters, the battery is only capable of one exposure, before being totally exhausted.

Luckily the charger cable is really lengthy, so it can be used for indoor cat photography, but outdoor photography usefulness is severely hampered by this battery handicap.

The 4-way control has a really really dead [Down] button, and Fujifilm, in its prehistoric take on wisdom, has only programmed the menu to a full stop when you reach the top. It doesn't wraparound. So going downmenu is not an option. You're stuck at the top. Which is where the [Setup] menu starts.

But I've deduced, by the absence of a small screw in the body of the beast, that some repair attempts have been made.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to set the date yet, on account of the abovementioned hardware issue, so it's kinda permanently stuck at January 2nd, 1999.

Which got me thinking of the Prince hit song Party Like It's 1999, when doing this write up. That was a great one!

And also the Extremely Boring Reverend Bob's song The Times They Are A-Changin'. Don't happen that often that I'm thinking about the EBRB nowadays, but a passing thought did occur briefly on this occasion.

The only [Setup] option therefore available to me is the [Quality] option, so obviously I set it to the [Fine 1280 x 1024 px] resolution, which leaves room for all of 10 pictures on the accompanying memory card, an 8 MB SmartMedia card.

Which is now well and truly filled up. Go figure!
The next challenge for me will be to find a card reader accepting SmartMedia cards, as this camera was released in the pre-USB days.

In 1999, the list price was US $ 599:-

View attachment 825175View attachment 825176View attachment 825177View attachment 825178View attachment 825179View attachment 825180

As usual, pictures shot on Nokia 6.1 Plus with Camera FV-5 app. DNG:s developed, cropped, and framed in Snapseed.

Fujifilm MX-1700 tech stats:
  • 1.5 megapixel sensor capturing images of up to 1280 x 1024 pixel resolution.
  • Super Fujinon glass lens with 3 x optical zoom [f:3.2 - f:7.0 wide angle, f:5.0 - f:11.5 telephoto].
  • Focal length range equivalent to 38 mm to 114 mm on a 35 mm camera.
  • 2 x digital zoom.
  • TTL autofocus from 31.5 inches to infinity in normal mode and from 9.8 to 31.5 inches in telephoto.
  • ISO equivalent to 125.
  • Shutter speeds 1/4 to 1/2000 sec.
  • Optical viewfinder.
  • 2 inch [130,000 px] TFT LCD monitor.
  • 1.2 - 4.0 x zoom in playback.
  • Built-in flash with five settings
  • [Auto, Red-Eye Reduction, Forced, Suppressed, Night/Slow Synchro].
  • Flash range of 9.8/11.8 feet at telephoto/wide angle lens settings.
  • Mode dial and rocker toggle button simplify menu operation [as described above].
  • Manual exposure mode allows control of both ambient and flash exposure, as well as white balance setting [messing with white balance is a bad idea! The battery has to be removed before you can get the auto white balance setting restored].
  • Burst mode with three frames per second in 640 x 480 resolution.
  • Special effects functions [Sepia, Black and White, Starburst, Rainbow Starburst] available for in camera editing [have tried the two Starburst settings. Why not? Also the effects are way better than on the Megxon C580!].
  • High grade, aluminum-magnesium alloy body [this is still something to be proud of. Wish my new cameras had this!].
  • Built-in, automatically retracting lens cover [Wow!].
  • Compatible with 3.3V [2 MB to 32 MB] SmartMedia.
  • Runs on a rechargeable NP-80 lithium-ion battery.
QUOTE [www.imaging-resource.com]
... our first "take" on the MX-1700 is very positive: It takes excellent pictures, and is small enough to fit comfortably into any shirt pocket or purse with ease. By combining a zoom lens with the tiny form-factor of their earlier MX-700, we think Fuji's produced a real winner. ...

... With an opening list price of $599, street prices should be in the $500 - 550 range, which should translate into good sales: That's not a bad price for 1.5 MP with zoom ...
UNQUOTE

And, no, I've obviously got nothing better to do with my life, than testing the old stuff!

But now, at least, the sun has come out.

It's time to go outside and test out some old, German glass!
Nice! Fuji introduced the MX-600 and MX-700 (portrait orientation) in 1998, IIRC at which I time I was using Sony MAVICA FD73 which stored images on a floppy. They upgraded these to a 1.5M sensor in 1999 at which point I bought one for my dad (in the landscape orientation body) as the portrait one felt a little weird to hold. It cost a pretty penny of my $1000/mo grad student stipend. The IQ was actually surprisingly good from what I remember of it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom