what photography related item did you buy this week?

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I had been looking at Katebackdrop's stuff for quite some time now - especially the collapsible, two-sided backdrops. They had a 20% discount yesterday and I couldn't fight it anymore so I ordered these two:

1) 5x6.5ft (1.5x2m) two-sided backdrop
https://www.katebackdrop.de/product...ollapsible-backdrop-photography-5x6-5ft1-5x2m

2) a 8x12f t(2.5x3.7m) beige backdrop
https://www.katebackdrop.de/product...amilie-foto-hintergrund?variant=8988198568051

Total sum: 215 €. Free delivery. Not a bad deal I'd say. :)

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Sold my P100-300 (I), bought a used TZ80 (ZS60) to look at the tiny, faraway birdies with instead. No doubt I'll hate the image quality, but it cost a third of my sale price, so my wallet thanks me!
Wow, great minds...!
I just bought a ZS70 to replace my P100-300. Still have the lens but will put it on offer soon.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Wow, great minds...!
I just bought a ZS70 to replace my P100-300. Still have the lens but will put it on offer soon.
Just a slight warning in case you aren't aware, but the TZ series (is that ZS in the USA?) have a reputation for getting dust on the sensors.
It seems to be due to the vacuum caused by the lens moving forward into position when switching the camera on.
Both my TZ25 and TZ70 suffered from it and a friend's TZ60 and TZ90 too.
I'm sure other compact zooms suffer too, but the Panasonic Lumix series seem to be quite susceptible.

As an aside, we both managed to take the back off our cameras to enable cleaning a couple of times, but the ribbons are very delicate and I'm sure opening the cameras up doesn't help in keeping dust out.

Try and keep your cameras in good bags or cases when not in use and I hope yours don't experience the same problem.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro lens arrived today, bought off one of my ex-clubmates at a bargain price.
Tried it out straight away and must say, I think I'm going to like it.
First shot with it, jPeg SOOC, blue flowers approx 10mm across.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wired remote shutter release for EM1.2!

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Funnily enough, I bought one of those cables as well. But I have yet to figure out if my laptop can accept an HDMI signal in, instead of just being able to send out an HDMI signal.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have been thinking of getting a Panasonic FZ1000 MKII for a while now to replace my MKI. I have become so accustomed to the touch screen on my other cameras, it was getting confusing for me whenever I tried to make adjustments and kept pressing on a non-responsive screen... So I ordered a FZ10002EB and can't wait for it to arrive.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
A pair of 37mm lens caps. Ebay. 4 days.

Real Name
Mel
Well, I wrote about ordering HLD-8g grip and HLD-6p battery holder for my Olympus OM-D EM-5ii. It came and it has breathed life into a camera I seldom picked up because it was hard to hold in my big hands and I preferred the feel of the EM-1 with HLD 7, I bought the HLD-6p from Adorama for $59.00 and the HLD-8g from UsedPhotoProfor $75.00 and they were worth every penny as it makes the EM 5ii feel just right with the 40-150mm 2.8 Pro. Great purchase. Then on Tuesday, the Kolibri drone came from BH Photo and my wife became so excited that we had to drive about 70 miles into the Flint Hills so she could try it out. She forgot the batteries for the control unit so she had to try an app on her smartphone. It was a wonderful day in the Hills and we found a very secluded area that was semi-flat for the test. Actually, her first test with the smartphone was inside our house, and thankfully it has a feature that turns it off when it hit something which you can be assured that it did and it did stop but her control with the cellphone was at best, marginal. Instead of driving some 30 miles for batteries for the control unit, she decided to fly away and it did and it continued to fly for hundreds of feet without any left, right, return on her phone. Here is a picture of take-off
and one of her looking for it. She did find it so it was good but the control never started the camera. We will be out this weekend with real batteries with a real control unit. :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Then on Tuesday, the Kolibri drone came from BH Photo and my wife became so excited that we had to drive about 70 miles into the Flint Hills so she could try it out. She forgot the batteries for the control unit so she had to try an app on her smartphone. It was a wonderful day in the Hills and we found a very secluded area that was semi-flat for the test. Actually, her first test with the smartphone was inside our house, and thankfully it has a feature that turns it off when it hit something which you can be assured that it did and it did stop but her control with the cellphone was at best, marginal. Instead of driving some 30 miles for batteries for the control unit, she decided to fly away and it did and it continued to fly for hundreds of feet without any left, right, return on her phone. Here is a picture of take-off and one of her looking for it. She did find it so it was good but the control never started the camera. We will be out this weekend with real batteries with a real control unit. :)
That is why I used an underground parking lot to practice.
Just had to keep away from the posts. And limited 10 ft height.
But in the underground parking lot, I could not lose the drone.
I read about people losing their drone from having it go WAY TOO HIGH, or get caught in the wind and blown away.

I too gave up on trying to fly a drone inside the house.
Not enough clear air space. And when I crashed, it often landed behind a big furniture :(

Darmok N Jalad

Shaka, when the shutter fell
Real Name
Randy
I got one of those cheap drones for a gift years ago. It was a tiny one, with ”full manual” controls. No smartphone pairing, no stabilizing, just fly by controller. I would practice by flying it in the home, and that proved difficult, since you have to know which way is forward and control it accordingly. I, too, was living in Kansas at the time, and in Kansas, wind is a thing almost every single day. If I would have taken that outside, it would have been blown 2 counties away.

I do like the Flint Hills though. Hard for pictures to do it justice.

Real Name
Mel
That is why I used an underground parking lot to practice.
Just had to keep away from the posts. And limited 10 ft height.
But in the underground parking lot, I could not lose the drone.
I read about people losing their drone from having it go WAY TOO HIGH, or get caught in the wind and blown away.
I do not care to even try to fly a drone but my wife is very desirous of learning. The football coach of the highly successful football team is working to get us into the huge gymnasium to fly. He is going to take her to the football field after it is opened in June and teach her to fly his DJI Mavic. We used to be very close to the basketball coach for the high school but he left for another school and we have finally convinced the Athletic Director that we are okay to trust after shooting his football team for 5 years. We give him a flash drive of the best pictures for him to use for his school publications. Could I dare say----possibly recruiting? :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I do not care to even try to fly a drone but my wife is very desirous of learning. The football coach of the highly successful football team is working to get us into the huge gymnasium to fly. He is going to take her to the football field after it is opened in June and teach her to fly his DJI Mavic. We used to be very close to the basketball coach for the high school but he left for another school and we have finally convinced the Athletic Director that we are okay to trust after shooting his football team for 5 years. We give him a flash drive of the best pictures for him to use for his school publications. Could I dare say----possibly recruiting? :)
I plan to ask my AD if I can use the gym also.
Its not REAL BIG, but lots more clear air space and vertical space than an underground parking lot, and WAY more than my garage.

The HARDEST part for me, of learning to fly a drone is flying it back towards me head first.
Flying towards me, the left/right direction is reversed, L/R is based on the drone, not MY eyes. So I need more space, because when I want to go left, sometimes I end up going right. :confused:

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I plan to ask my AD if I can use the gym also.
Its not REAL BIG, but lots more clear air space and vertical space than an underground parking lot, and WAY more than my garage.

The HARDEST part for me, of learning to fly a drone is flying it back towards me head first.
Flying towards me, the left/right direction is reversed, L/R is based on the drone, not MY eyes. So I need more space, because when I want to go left, sometimes I end up going right. :confused:
I tried an R/C aircraft flight simulator and learned to appreciate the skill and 3D spatial awareness it takes to fly an R/C aircraft or helicopter well. That left/right reversal when it's coming toward you is really a mental obstacle one has to overcome. I guess you have to imagine yourself in the imaginary cockpit in the plane/drone. Good thing I was trying a simulator instead of the real thing!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I tried an R/C aircraft flight simulator and learned to appreciate the skill and 3D spatial awareness it takes to fly an R/C aircraft or helicopter well. That left/right reversal when it's coming toward you is really a mental obstacle one has to overcome. I guess you have to imagine yourself in the imaginary cockpit in the plane/drone. Good thing I was trying a simulator instead of the real thing!
I think a simulator or drone based camera makes it easier, as you are looking from the drone, so Right is Right.
But being on the ground looking at the drone flying back towards you, it is reversed. That is where I get confused. I remember it for a bit, fly it away from me, then fly it back and I forget :confused: I just can't seem to place my head IN the drone, like R/C pilots can.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom