what photography related item did you buy this week?

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
^^^^^
I've (very) loosely considered looking for a Pentax digital to use my Pentax lenses on, but given that I'm apparently 500 miles from the nearest dealer, I'll leave that itch un-scratched.

Real Name
Mark
Olympus 135mm f/3.5 OM. Picked it up at the used camera store the last day before the governor closed everything “non-essential” so I can do stranger portraits on my walks. The governor CLEARLY has a different definition of “non-essential” than I do.

Last edited:

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Panasonic G85 with kit lens, 12-60mm. Came as a kit with 2 extra batteries + charger, inexpensive slave flash, cleaning kit and 64 gb card. I've got plenty of lenses, time to have some fun.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought an Olympus EM1 Mk3 on the very last day the camera shops were open. Now, what with the lockdown, I can't go anywhere to use it! Mind you, it's a lot of fun to sit at home and play with.
Well also plenty of time to get used to the menu and options, mind you I have not bothered to do that myself :(

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
I bought an Olympus EM1 Mk3 on the very last day the camera shops were open. Now, what with the lockdown, I can't go anywhere to use it! Mind you, it's a lot of fun to sit at home and play with.
E-Miii owners should receive an email from Olympus USA: There will be an online quiz on the contents of the Owner's Manual on Thursday. Failure to take this quiz will result in disabling of the new camera. A failing grade on said quiz will result in disabling of certain camera features. Compliance with this educational directive will be enforced via a mandatory firmware update. Failure to perform said update will result in deactivation of camera operation. Reactivation will only be possible following the removal of "shelter in place" orders, and the payment of a nominal fee.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A USB to Mini B cable for my Celestron StarSense for SkyWatcher to connect the Hand Control to my laptop (Astrophotography) and a RJ45 to RJ45 for the StarSense control box to the mount. And finally, a second Lum-IR cut filter so I can used both Astrophotography Cameras simultaneously:)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought one of those gimbals and while it worked okay, it was difficult to adjust the drag on the arm. I looked on youtube and saw a video on how to lubricate the internal mechanism and of course I had to do it. I had the tools so no expense and I even had the lubricant to do the job but I could not get the bolt inside the holder of the arm after taking off the cheap circle covering the arm pivot place. I had my wife stand on the arm while I tried to loosen the bolt inside. Well, the arm decided it was weaker than me and my wife's efforts and snapped in two. Thankfully, the expenditure was not great but we would probably order another if I was doing as much wildlife photography as I used to do.
Bought a "Neewer" one off Amazon, just to try a gimbal.
I went cheap, cuz it was an experiment, and I wanted to minimize my risk if it did not work.​
The greased bearings were BAD. The grease had so much drag, that as a gimbal, it was worthless.
I was able to disassemble the elevation bearing, clean (UGH) and grease with lithium grease. MUCH better.
The grease was THICK and STICKY. I scrapped as much as I could with a popcicle stick and newspaper, then cleaned it off with lighter fluid. Wear gloves, that grease is HARD to clean off your hands.​
I dunno whose dumb idea it was to use that THICK grease.​
I was NOT able to disassemble the azimuth bearing. They must have used a strong tread lock or epoxy on the screw.
Dripping lighter fluid into the bearing washed out some of the grease and thinned it, so that it was usable. But after a month, the lighter fluid evaporated and it was tight again. I'm still hoping that I can figure out how to get that screw loose, so that I can clean and regrease the horizontal bearing.​
Once worked over, the gimbal worked GREAT.

I used it to shoot tennis with a 500mm mirror lens on my Nikon DX camera.
Must have looked odd to the parents, but it worked great.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Got a Meyer Görlitz Trioplan V f:2.9/50 mm in Exakta mount today. The red V is supposed to indicate lens coating. 12 iris leaves. Another Cooke triplet type lens. I'm looking forward to compare it to the Domiplan. It's in very good condition, too.

It was presumably delivered with the camera, as the carry case has the small top.

View attachment 809114

Triplet reflections:
View attachment 809115

The EXA it was mounted on has four flash connections, and max 1/150 sec shutter speed, so should be made in 1951 or 1952. The second variety of the first version EXA. The lever on top left of the camera is used to set shutter speed. The shutter is unusual, as the mirror doubles as the opening shutter blade, and a curved metal guillotine is the closing blade. This limits both long and short shutter speeds. But it is said to be more reliable than a focal plane shutter.

As everything normally found to the right on cameras is to the left on Exaktas and Exas, I will not make any communist quips. Also, I'm ambidextrous, therefore I'm as neutral as the Swiss. I haven't checked the camera serial yet, as there, of course, is film in the bl**dy thing.

I don't know when, or if, I'm gonna get my real adapter from China, so I will try to gaffatape me a cardboard tube adapter tomorrow...

Thanks/Erik
Hey another Exakta user :thumbup:

The Exakta was my first 35mm camera. Actually it was my father's camera.
Quite neat.
I had fun with the internal film cutter.
  • I put an empty catridge in place of the take up reel.
  • When I got to the end of the roll, I just cut the film, and wound the film into the cartridge.
  • Did not have to rewind the film, like my friends had to on their 35mm camera. :biggrin:
But that funky 2 pin flash connector was a problem, when everything had PC connectors.
Though I think the 2 pin connector was better than the PITA unreliable PC connectors.

So I had to get an Exakta, to play with and keep a bridge to my early days.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Bought a "Neewer" one off Amazon, just to try a gimbal.
I went cheap, cuz it was an experiment, and I wanted to minimize my risk if it did not work.​
The greased bearings were BAD. The grease had so much drag, that as a gimbal, it was worthless.
I was able to disassemble the elevation bearing, clean (UGH) and grease with lithium grease. MUCH better.
The grease was THICK and STICKY. I scrapped as much as I could with a popcicle stick and newspaper, then cleaned it off with lighter fluid. Wear gloves, that grease is HARD to clean off your hands.​
I dunno whose dumb idea it was to use that THICK grease.​
I was NOT able to disassemble the azimuth bearing. They must have used a strong tread lock or epoxy on the screw.
Dripping lighter fluid into the bearing washed out some of the grease and thinned it, so that it was usable. But after a month, the lighter fluid evaporated and it was tight again. I'm still hoping that I can figure out how to get that screw loose, so that I can clean and regrease the horizontal bearing.​
Once worked over, the gimbal worked GREAT.

I used it to shoot tennis with a 500mm mirror lens on my Nikon DX camera.
Must have looked odd to the parents, but it worked great.
Boil it in a pan, wear gloves and pull apart.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just ordered a couple Peak Design straps; Slide Lite (for my EM1), Leash (for my EM10)
PD is running a 20% off sale.
Just arrived.
The PD straps NEEDS a loop to hold the bottom part of the strap closed, when there is slack on the strap.
Really bugs me when that loop opens up on me.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom