what photography related item did you buy this week?

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
Bought a YSDIGI 37mm multicoated UV filter for my 14-42 IIR kit lens from Amazon. It was cheap which makes me suspicious of its big claims (see the box in the photo). It also came in the biggest case for the smallest filter I've ever seen. Can't dispute that it was well-packed though. Will have to see how well it works.

Has anyone heard of this brand? AKA Wyatt.
Should be ok for the plastic kit lens...
Thanks/Erik

Mattie

Mu-43 Rookie
Bought a Panasonic GX9 - body only

The idea is to have a city walk around camera to complement the G9

DHOC_TAZH

Mu-43 Rookie
Four years ago I dropped my then only camera, a much-loved Canon Powershot G10, onto a hard stone floor and the LCD was no more. Using this as an excuse a valid reason to get more into photography, I purchased my (really, really loved!) EM10ii, and the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses - perfect for my level of snapping (and beyond, obviously).

Anyway.....having a clearout, I came across the old G10 which hadn't been out of the bag for four years. I looked at it fondly. Yes, it's limited to a fixed zoom lens; but it's small, and it still feels solid and good in the hand. If I fixed it, I could leave it in the glove-box permanently. So, I charged the battery, took a couple of test shots "blind" and it seems to be working ok. I wondered idly if you could get a replacement screen, and Mr. Google tells me that: not only can you get them at relatively low cost, there are vidoes showing you how to do it yourself.

So, after spending just over £10 on a new screen which arrived yesterday, and having borrowed a precision screwdriver (that's how handy I am!) I'm going to give it a go. The guy in one video takes about 7 minutes to do it, so if I crack it in under an hour I'll be happy!

I'll also be happy if Mrs. Steveee doesn't see this post, as she might wonder why I didn't spend this tenner four years ago rather than several tens of tenners on the EM10!!
That's great! I bought a used G10 last year, along with its little brother the SD990 IS on eBay. Got them both for just under $100 US.

I have three of the CCD PowerShots and all of them run the CHDK mod for RAW capture. For the G10, I mostly use CHDK to mechanically zoom the lens while messing with the video as that's already got RAW capture built in.

A used Manfrotto Lumimuse LED with tripod/coldshoe mount (works brilliantly as a hands-free camping light, attached to a camera!).

A vintage Hanimex tripod which packs down small for $2.

A Fujifilm X-T100 with 18-55mm zoom, because I caved in again.
Now that all of the gear is here, it's time for show and tell! The Hanimex tripod doesn't appear to have a lock for the leg angle, which could be dicey, but it is a cool, retro bit of kit to match my retrostyled cameras.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Richard
Now that all of the gear is here, it's time for show and tell! The Hanimex tripod doesn't appear to have a lock for the leg angle, which could be dicey, but it is a cool, retro bit of kit to match my retrostyled cameras.
View attachment 807454
I think you deserve a bravery award for mounting a camera on that tripod :)

DHOC_TAZH

Mu-43 Rookie
As for myself, just bought a black E-M10 II from B&H to complement my silver/black E-M10 III. I'll use that one more for street shoots. The II will go perfectly with my black prime lenses... maybe I'll score a used black Pany 14mm later instead of trying to swap the silver 17mm f1.8. (The 14mm has a lower profile vs the the 17mm... I don't mind the loss of about 1/3 stop, I'll use it primarily for street if I get one.)

Aside from pairing, my other reasons for buying the II is more control for custom modes, the metal body and full use of silent mode in PASM.

I may have a bit more time to navigate outside near my house and snap pics in my spare time, as the company I work at already implemented a telecommuting schedule beginning next week.

Raynox DCR-250 arrived. I was under the assumption that my pouch of 20 step-up/down rings had 46mm to upwards step-up ring but that darn pouch has every other diameter covered except 46mm thread. Beats me. So yeah, 46 to 55 step-up ring so the Raynox fits on 60mm macro :|

Raynox DCR-250 arrived. I was under the assumption that my pouch of 20 step-up/down rings had 46mm to upwards step-up ring but that darn pouch has every other diameter covered except 46mm thread. Beats me. So yeah, 46 to 55 step-up ring so the Raynox fits on 60mm macro :|
Doesn't it unscrew from the mount so you can screw it directly onto the O60mm? I'm sure that's what I did.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
A clear "protective filter" 🙄 , normally I never bother but I figure I'll be using my new PL 8-18 for landscape/seascape shots as I live near the coast. Better to clean salty mist and spray off a cheap filter than the lens front element. The Hoya HMC Multicoated UV filter was the cheapest option that rated over 99% transmission on good ol' Uncle Roger's tests:
LensRentals - My Not Quite Complete Protective Filter Article

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If your going to buy some step rings I would get the 46-43 step down so you can screw the Raynox on without the Raynox adaptor.
Good to have the 46-55 to be able to use the adaptor as well though as they cost very little on line.

If your going to buy some step rings I would get the 46-43 step down so you can screw the Raynox on without the Raynox adaptor.
Good to have the 46-55 to be able to use the adaptor as well though as they cost very little on line.
Yup the up/down rings were same price and quite cheap.. I just thought the snap-on adapter is a better option since I can take it off immediately just in case.

Real Name
Roddy
18 bulk packs of toilet paper for cleaning my lenses when I'm doing rainy days and landscapes and things.

**cough**

(I'm kidding - out in the 'campagne' here in western France we still have people shopping relatively normally. It will change of course, but one can always cross one's fingers that somehow the four horsemen do not stop here long. And to be frank - why was there a run on toilet paper, of all things?)

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
18 bulk packs of toilet paper for cleaning my lenses when I'm doing rainy days and landscapes and things.

**cough**

(I'm kidding - out in the 'campagne' here in western France we still have people shopping relatively normally. It will change of course, but one can always cross one's fingers that somehow the four horsemen do not stop here long. And to be frank - why was there a run on toilet paper, of all things?)
I don't get why its happening, but I guess Its the prospect of isolation - 2 weeks to 2 months of lockdown, the last thing you want to have to do after a visit to the throne is wonder how you are going to clean up!

We always buy in bulk and luckily we'd just bought a large stash before the stockpiling began in the UK.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just bought a MegaGear 1/2 leather case for my E-m5 mark III. Amazon originally sent me the black 1/2 case by mistake. I looked at it, and I really didn't like the feel of the case (too shiny and plastic feeling). I sent it back, and I just got the brown case that I ordered. Much, much better. The case looks and feels much better in my hand. The case also comes with a strap that has leather inlays which matches the camera's case.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom