what photography related item did you buy this week?

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
You have to check the rules for your flight but I think generally you are allowed a personal bag and a carry-on.
I usually have my daily use backpack as my personal bag and then I can have a carry-on as well, you could use one of those hard-case overnight rollers as a carry-on and put the camera bag in that.
That would give you lots of space for your gear.
Yeah, I'm allowed both, but the size listed for the personal item is actually quite small. Maybe they won't enforce those limits, but I decided not to risk it. I'm actually checking a hard side bag for this trip, so I don't want to take a second one. So, the camera backpack will serve as my larger carryon (and give me a backpack for while I'm there), and I've got a smaller satchel type bag for my personal bag.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
...and the Panny kit lens 12-60 on the other, but GAS struck, and I bought the Pan 14-140
I'll be interested in your opinion and to see what lens you shoot with most over time. I was in the exact same situation; owned the P12-60 and purchased the P 14-140 for a trip. No regrets, great lens and suited the trip fine. I find however on a day to day basis I get on better with the 12-60. I can't even really explain why it just seems to get used more.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bought a Godox A1 flash to use with my iPad and maybe cellphone if they update the app to the Samsung S10+.

It works via Bluetooth from the phone/tablet running the GodoxPhoto camera app, and then it generates a Wi-Fi signal that syncs with any of their other 2.4 GHz flash or studio units.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
After thinking about buying one for years - I finally found a lightly used Pen F in fine shape - for sale by a fellow Mu-43 member - so I couldn't resist. And not only is its IQ surprisingly pleasant - but it looks rather cool as well -

My semi-orphaned DJI-branded PL (PanaLeica) 15mm seems to fit perfectly on the Pen F - and I suspect this lens will stay on this camera for the foreseeable future :)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Well, I finally did it. I stopped waffling over camera bodies and ordered a GX9 from Amazon, there is a dekitted body only version for $498. It doesn't fulfill every single attribute I want, nor fix the lackluster EVF, but it still gets me the 20MP sensor along with DfD for my 20mm lens, and finally has somewhat better auto ISO implementation. I've been a long time without a good main M4/3 body. This will be good!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Just ordered a brown leather half-case for my Pen-F, $7.99 + $4.99 freight on eBay.
I had wanted to order a black one as well, but that colour was out of stock, but it probably doesn't matter as I really don't know if I will use the half-case. 😎

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Been after something fairly cheap'n'cheerful with some reach - just for fun as I don't tend to gravitate towards long lenses. Picked up one of these for a 'too good to pass up' price - sure it's not in its first flush of youth, but the glass is spotless and overall, works perfectly. What's also great is it's small, and weighs half of b*gger all. :)

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Been after something fairly cheap'n'cheerful with some reach - just for fun as I don't tend to gravitate towards long lenses. Picked up one of these for a 'too good to pass up' price - sure it's not in its first flush of youth, but the glass is spotless and overall, works perfectly. What's also great is it's small, and weighs half of b*gger all. :)

View attachment 804193
maybe "cheap'n'cheerful", but has impressive optics

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
maybe "cheap'n'cheerful", but has impressive optics
Oh absolutely - in fact I've been quietly impressed by it. Of course I'm not expecting it to be tack-sharp wide open at 300 (it starts to lose things above 250) but it's one hell of a useable lens for most of its range, and at 75-100 is as sweet as pretty much anything I own. For the money? Oh yes, and more. :)

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Oh absolutely - in fact I've been quietly impressed by it. Of course I'm not expecting it to be tack-sharp wide open at 300 (it starts to lose things above 250) but it's one hell of a useable lens for most of its range, and at 75-100 is as sweet as pretty much anything I own. For the money? Oh yes, and more. :)
I waas so impressed that I bought a pair of them for stereo birding.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, I bought my E-m5 mark III today. While I've pretty much knew I was going to get it sooner or later, I had been waiting for my salesman to be there (he has had a lot of back issues, and I've been waiting to buy it from him). Fortunately, in waiting, I was able to take advantage of the $200 rebate Olympus now offers. I didn't know if he was coming in or not, but one of the other salesmen offered to enter his name on the sales receipt. By the time, I was ready to leave, my salesman had shown up, so I told him, he had already made a sale.

I had gone in for Olympus's annual clean and check at my brick & mortar store today (Hunts Photo & Video, in Melrose, MA). I brought in 10 Olympus cameras, 10 lenses, but only had 8 cameras and 5 lenses cleaned and checked and while there bought the E-m5 mark III. I forgot that my in-laws had given me a gift card to the store, and I had to drive back to get the card included in the order.

One of the cleaning guys asked how many Olympus cameras I own or did own. With the E-m5 mark III, it brings the total to 21 Olympus cameras that I've had since 2001 (the 10 I brought with me to get cleaned, the C-2100UZ I left at the house, the one I returned as unusable, and the 7 I've sold, given away, or trashed). In fact, I originally thought it was 16, but then I remembered some more cameras that I've owned at least briefly as I wrote this article.

The guy doing the cleaning mentioned that my E-m5 mark I's shutter was beginning to stick. While it will be terrible, if/when it stops working, it has served me well. I bought it refurbished at an Olympus Presidents Day sale at the USA Olympus outlet store, just over 6 years ago. It is long out of warranty service. I did have one warranty repair with it (EVF failure 3 months after I got it).

I have 3,600 pictures from it in my photographic albums in the 6 years I've owned it (the 'secret menu' gives 15,691 shutter clicks). In the last 2-3 years, its main purpose is to be the camera in my steampunk camera bodies. I don't use my 'good gear' in the steampunk bodies, in case the stuff gets dropped. Also, it is more convenient to have the normal camera to take crowd/performer shots, rather than using the prop so I can use either of my main 2 lenses (12-40mm or 14-150mm mark II). I do take pictures of people in costume with the steampunk camera, where it isn't an issue that it is mostly only 2 focal lengths (normal, and the 2x digital zoom).

Now that I have the E-m5 mark III, I wonder if I'm going to move the E-m1 to the steampunk camera body. It can't be the E-m10 mark II, since we've had several events were it rained.

Lets see. Of the 21 Olympus cameras I have owned, I have had to send in 4 cameras for warranty repairs with serious issues (the E-m1 mark I was the only one sent in twice), and several I sent in for the cleaning, and while it was being cleaned, I had several minor things fixed (mostly rubber peeling off, one missing screws on the tripod plate). So at least for the expensive cameras, I am a believer in getting the warranties, and I got the Mack Diamond 5 year warranty on the E-m5 mark III. The cheaper cameras (E-m10 mark II, TG-5, etc.) particularly if they are refurbished, I don't bother with the extended warranty.

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Not in my hands yet but soon. Pre-ordered and now shipped on time. Upgrade from my E-M1 Mark I.

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Managed to snag a Helios 44M-2 for a bargain price of £8.49 delivered! Not seen these go recently for less than £25.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
Won an auction ($80):
Äldre kameror 1.jpg
Äldre kameror 2.jpg
Äldre kameror 3.jpg

Breathlessly waiting for delivery....
Thanks/Erik

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bought a ZWO to M43 adapter so I can use my M43 lenses on my 294MC astro camera. Going to piggyback on my imaging scopes for a wideview of the area I am Short Exposure imaging DSO's (EAA).

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Well, actually about a week and a half ago, a gem of a "fast" for the day 28mm.

Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, as it arrived with the common/characteristic yellowing that occurs in lots of these vintage lenses with {gasp} radioactive elements! You can read about the fix for that in this this post.

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
I'm retired so theres not much $ for new equip, but I did buy a Kaiser 62mm slip-on lens cap for the JJC hood I added to my O 40-150 3.5-5.6R. With this, there is no need to remove the hood to put on the lens cap. It just slips on the lens hood. Big spender, lol......

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Need to stitch those holes in my pockets!

I've been lusting after a "pocketable" for a good while so knowing that lust is sinful I took the cure :laugh1:

Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX100_III_18.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom