what photography related item did you buy this week?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I was in Digidirect today and looked at the size of the EM1 MkII and the EMX. I really like the ergonomics of the X but it is just too big for travel and I cant afford two new cameras.
I generally sell one (as I did my E-M1 mk II) when rumours of a new model start to surface (resale value only goes down from there) I MAY pick up an E-M1 mk III and I MAY sell one of my E-M1X's when the mk III gets cheap enough. I really want to try the Starry autofocus. And I don't want to lug a full size camera around Africa next year.

I'm pretty lucky. Mid 30's, no wife, no kids. And I'm okay with that.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
I'm so envious of all you here that are aiming for new M4/3 cameras when I have to settle for old Zeiss Tessar lenses.

IMG_20200218_195239_8-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This Tessar f:3.5/50 mm with Exakta bayonet mount was made in 1953.

A rare lens, in chrome-plated brass frame.

My serial number is #3516727, which places it in the beginning of the production run of Version 4B.

4B has serial numbers between #3471151 and #3763339. Version 5C starts at #3763340.

[EDIT]
I'm officially confused - this above don't seem to refer to the small Tessar - and yet, the serials match up. And production date. According to newfound info it's a version 3.3c small Tessar.

Maybe the 4B run included the three small Tessar versions.

I'd be happy if someone more knowledgeable could clear this up.
[/EDIT]

The easiest way to adapt this is the Exakta to M42 adapter. Cost about $10.

The dent by the T in the front of the lens is actually a dent in the remaining part of a filter.

A worthwhile project: to remove that dented ring.

Also maybe to relubricate the focus ring, which was pretty stiff, but is loosening up as I play with the lens.

Oh, well, the lens is close to seventy years old.
What can you expect?

It comes off an EXA II b camera, which, by the way, also has a lock for the shutter release.

The EXA II b was in production between 1964 - 1966 with serial numbers starting at #200000 up to #270000.

Only 69700 is said to have been produced, though.

My EXA II b has serial #218077 which should place date of production in 1964.

Thanks/Erik

Last edited:

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
got my Mcoplus ECG4 grip for Pen-F today. For a 1/3 price of the original Oly grip it looks very nice and well made. Guess, I am done with shopping for some time :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm so envious of all you here that are aiming for new M4/3 cameras when I have to settle for old Zeiss Tessar lenses.

View attachment 803474

This Tessar f:3.5/50 mm with Exakta bayonet mount was made in 1953.

It comes off an EXA II b camera, which, by the way, also has a lock for the shutter release.

A rare lens, in chrome-plated brass frame.

My serial number is #3516727, which places it in the beginning of the production run of Version 4B.

4B has serial numbers between #3471151 and #3763339. Version 5C starts at #3763340.

The easiest way to adapt this is the Exakta to M42 adapter. Cost about $10.

The dent by the T in the front of the lens is actually a dent in the remaining part of a filter.

A worthwhile project: to remove that dented ring. Also maybe to relubricate the focus ring, which was pretty stiff, but is loosening up as I play with the lens.

Oh, well, the lens is close to seventy years old.
What can you expect?

Thanks/Erik
I had that problem with the school's canon.
One of the students probably moved without looking and the filter ring, took the impact.
The filter glass shattered, and the ring was distorted to where it could NOT be turned.
I finally cut the ring in 3 places, close together, so that I could bend out the segments, to remove the pressure of the ring onto the lens.

That OLD grease has probably dried out to the consistency of putty ☹
If it is indeed a rare lens, I would send it in for CLA, by a good tech.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
I finally cut the ring in 3 places, close together, so that I could bend out the segments, to remove the pressure of the ring onto the lens.

That OLD grease has probably dried out to the consistency of putty ☹
If it is indeed a rare lens, I would send it in for CLA, by a good tech.
The focusing ring have become pretty loose by now.
I don't think I will have to lube it after all.

Thanks for the cutting tip!

The rare lens part from:
https://photobutmore.de/exakta/zeiss/tessar2/

It was news for me too. I was actually waiting for a f:2.8/50 mm Tessar.

Thanks/Erik

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The focusing ring have become pretty loose by now.
I don't think I will have to lube it after all.

Thanks for the cutting tip!

The rare lens part from:
https://photobutmore.de/exakta/zeiss/tessar2/

It was news for me too. I was actually waiting for a f:2.8/50 mm Tessar.

Thanks/Erik
We had tried for two weeks to unscrew the filter ring, without damaging the lens.
What I did was a solution of last resort.

I used a Dremel with a cutting disc, to make 3 cuts, about 3/8 inch apart.
I cut through the part of the ring above the lens, leaving the part of the filter ring in the threads of the lens.
Once I cut the filter ring, I could grab the two 3/8 inch segments with pliers, and bend them inward to form a V. That relieved the pressure of the filter ring onto the lens, so that the filter ring could be removed.

CAREFUL. It was a MESS.
The aluminum dust went everywhere, even with wrapping, taping, and cutting so that the wheel turned away from the lens.
But as I said, it was a solution of last resort.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
We had tried for two weeks to unscrew the filter ring, without damaging the lens.
What I did was a solution of last resort.

I used a Dremel with a cutting disc, to make 3 cuts, about 3/8 inch apart.
I cut through the part of the ring above the lens, leaving the part of the filter ring in the threads of the lens.
Once I cut the filter ring, I could grab the two 3/8 inch segments with pliers, and bend them inward to form a V. That relieved the pressure of the filter ring onto the lens, so that the filter ring could be removed.

CAREFUL. It was a MESS.
The aluminum dust went everywhere, even with wrapping, taping, and cutting so that the wheel turned away from the lens.
But as I said, it was a solution of last resort.
There's also a special tool for loosening stuck filters. Like a rubber coated, small wrench. Can be ordered from China.

My first try, though, would be with a cable tie tight around the ring, and a pair of pliars to hold the end of the tie, and twist around with. I've succeeded before with that.

Next, I'm thinking damp cloth around the lens and inside, on top of the front lens, to protect from metal saw "dust", and a small "hobby" hand saw.

[EDIT]
The two above paragraphs are rendered superfluous by me breaking the filter ring with pliars. I can't fathom why I didn't thought of that at once. Must've been tired...
[/EDIT]

As always, the solution can be found in merciless brutality.

But no real hurry, as I don't have an adapter yet.

I checked a little further: At least three varieties of this small Tessar. Mine is subversion C. Serial #3516727. Here you can clearly see the extra filter ring:
IMG_20200218_200146_2-01.jpeg

Sorry for lousy phone shot.

TESSAR 3.5 - VERSION 3.3
smallest aperture 22, focus 0.55 m (production number range approx.3.511.xxx - 3.520.xxx)
tessar3514992nah055.jpg

This is what it should look like without extras.

Small Tessar exists "in 8 versions with a total of 14 variants".

"The photo shows an early aperture preselection Tessar f:3.5/50 mm in version 3.3c (# 3514992)
with a distance scale in m and feet, setting range from 0.55 m and 1.75 feet"

Picture and above quotes from:

https://photobutmore.de/exakta/zeiss/ausfuehrung3/index.php

The more I look into it, the more interesting, and confusing, it gets.

Thanks/Erik

Last edited:
So, this happened. It's actually been a couple of weeks ago now but it arrived while I was out of town and then I spent a week down-and-out with the flu. And then the weather has been cold and wet, so I haven't had a chance to shoot with it other than some indoor test shots to confirm proper operation. And I may still be in a bit of denial that I pulled the trigger on a $1600 lens!

I had been watching this lens for awhile, but it sold before I could make up my mind. And then instead I purchased a second-hand 40-150mm PRO and 1.4X locally. But then I got a notification that this lens was available again (apparently the previous buyer never took delivery from FedEx), so I jumped on it without thinking too much.

Despite being listed as "B Grade" the lens shows no signs of physical damage or even signs of use really. The glass is spotless. The only defect is that it was missing the front lens cap and case. It arrived well-packaged with a thick microfiber cloth rubber-banded over the front element. All in all, it seems like I got a stellar deal.

On a related note, I'm starting to think my kids are really gonna love community college. :D

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
So, this happened. It's actually been a couple of weeks ago now but it arrived while I was out of town and then I spent a week down-and-out with the flu. And then the weather has been cold and wet, so I haven't had a chance to shoot with it other than some indoor test shots to confirm proper operation. And I may still be in a bit of denial that I pulled the trigger on a $1600 lens!

I had been watching this lens for awhile, but it sold before I could make up my mind. And then instead I purchased a second-hand 40-150mm PRO and 1.4X locally. But then I got a notification that this lens was available again (apparently the previous buyer never took delivery from FedEx), so I jumped on it without thinking too much.

Despite being listed as "B Grade" the lens shows no signs of physical damage or even signs of use really. The glass is spotless. The only defect is that it was missing the front lens cap and case. It arrived well-packaged with a thick microfiber cloth rubber-banded over the front element. All in all, it seems like I got a stellar deal.

On a related note, I'm starting to think my kids are really gonna love community college. :D

View attachment 803639
Enjoy your new toy! Community colleges are a good thing 🤣

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I took delivery of a mint Pen F and 17mm 1.8 two days ago. Only 400 snaps on the shutter. I've been out of mu4/3 for a while, roaming around in Fujiland. Over the past few months, I did an extensive gear purge, selling or giving away numerous cameras and lenses. I kept one item for my use, a Pen F 38mm f1.8 that worked great on the GX9 I sold. I decided to start over completely with the Pen F and Fuji X30.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
Impulse buy. I've got no self control!
20200219_222353-01.jpeg
20200219_224757-01.jpeg
20200219_222856-01.jpeg
20200219_222748-01.jpeg
20200219_222643-01.jpeg
20200219_222609-01.jpeg
20200219_222549-01.jpeg

Halina 35X. Hong Kong 1959. Don't need it.
But wanted it enough to pay $8 for it.

Pictures taken with Samsung Note 10 Plus.

Thanks/Erik

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
The cable tie didn't work. So I just added some more brutality into the equation. I bent the filter ring inwards with the pliars. Which fixed the problem without collateral damage.
20200220_000507-01.jpeg

Picture taken with Samsung Note 10 Plus.

Thanks/Erik

Last edited:

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
I'm supposed to be paying off my VISA a/c, but when this mint-in-box lens appeared on eBay I couldn't resist.

yashica ML 500-s-l1600.jpg

This little-known gem of a mirror lens is reputedly on a par with the OLY 500mm Reflex, and the Zeiss 500mm Mirotar.
It was made in a limited production run by Tomioka in Japan, who also made the MMJ version of C/Y Zeiss lenses.
Expect another week or two before it's actually in my hands.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
So, I finally got my f:2.8/50 mm "small Tessar".
And is like (almost) new, smooth focus and iris.

The seller obviously tried to pull a fast one.

When I raised a stink about f:3.5 and not f:2.8, he said "honest mistake, why would I send wrong item", and immediately sent me the f:2.8.

Honest mistake, yeah, right.

Anyway, two for the price of one.
Also the f:3.5 fob-off is probably worth more than the f:2.8. :laugh1:

Is this what they call "instant karma"?
20200220_200715-01.jpeg

In the picture, from the top:

KMZ Юпитер-II f:4/135 mm, ZM39 mount.
No relation to CZJ, but received today.

Carl Zeiss Jena f:2.8/50 mm, Exakta mount, with German Democratic Republic quality control mark Q1, probably 1954. 6 iris leaves.

Carl Zeiss Jena f:2.8/50 mm, M42, with German Democratic Republic quality control mark Q1.
Final version, only in M42. 6 iris leaves.

Carl Zeiss Jena f:3.5/50 mm, Exakta mount, with red T, indicating multi coating. 17 iris leaves (!).

The Tessar, from the Greek word τέσσερα (tessera), meaning four, was designed in 1902 by Paul Rudolph, with 4 elements in 3 groups.

It was a development from his earlier Unar design.

The 2 cemented elements at the rear of the Tessar design was also used as a visual cue for the Zeiss Ikon logo.

Mismet the Cat sends her regards!

Thanks/Erik

Last edited:
Purchased an Olympus 12-100mm f/4 PRO from Mapcamera via ebay.ca. Super happy with the process and the lens.

I watched Mapcamera 12-100 listings for several weeks to get a sense of the selling price and the range of discounts offered, and of the condition of lens they offer. I identified a "B" grade lens last week that appealed to me and which was suitably discounted (16%, their typical discount rate). Beyond obviously wanting fully functional, clean glass, I paid particular attention to condition of the lens mount, i.e. minimal wear and scuffing on the bayonet and electrical contacts. By coincidence, I received an ebay discount coupon for 10% off to a max US$50, so I promptly pull the trigger on the purchase.

Mapcamera shipped the same day as purchase (free shipping), and it arrived in less than a week! The lens was immaculately packaged, with several layers of carefully arrange bubble wrap. The lens was listed as "B" grade, "Has been used preciously. Showing a few marks, scratches of cosmetic surface. Functions perfect.", but to my eye it's in near-pristine condition.

The cherry on top was Canada Customs failing to apply GST to the purchase, saving me another ~CAD$50!

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Purchased an Olympus 12-100mm f/4 PRO from Mapcamera via ebay.ca. Super happy with the process and the lens.

I watched Mapcamera 12-100 listings for several weeks to get a sense of the selling price and the range of discounts offered, and of the condition of lens they offer. I identified a "B" grade lens last week that appealed to me and which was suitably discounted (16%, their typical discount rate). Beyond obviously wanting fully functional, clean glass, I paid particular attention to condition of the lens mount, i.e. minimal wear and scuffing on the bayonet and electrical contacts. By coincidence, I received an ebay discount coupon for 10% off to a max US$50, so I promptly pull the trigger on the purchase.

Mapcamera shipped the same day as purchase (free shipping), and it arrived in less than a week! The lens was immaculately packaged, with several layers of carefully arrange bubble wrap. The lens was listed as "B" grade, "Has been used preciously. Showing a few marks, scratches of cosmetic surface. Functions perfect.", but to my eye it's in near-pristine condition.

The cherry on top was Canada Customs failing to apply GST to the purchase, saving me another ~CAD$50!

View attachment 804000
View attachment 803999
Great lens. Enjoy!

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
I've been keeping my 100-400 on one G9 body and the Panny kit lens 12-60 on the other, but GAS struck, and I bought the Pan 14-140. I'm about to go to Europe (10 days in the Toulouse area, followed by 3 days in Lisbon) and I was thinking I wanted something with a little longer reach for when I'm just carrying a single camera. On the bright side, I did sell my G7 body and Pan 100-300 II, so some of my recent expenses have been offset.

Now I'm back to contemplating bags. I bought the Peak Design 20L V1 and I like it, but it's going to be the carryon bag for my trip, and I wonder if I should have gotten the 30L V2 instead...

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I've been keeping my 100-400 on one G9 body and the Panny kit lens 12-60 on the other, but GAS struck, and I bought the Pan 14-140. I'm about to go to Europe (10 days in the Toulouse area, followed by 3 days in Lisbon) and I was thinking I wanted something with a little longer reach for when I'm just carrying a single camera. On the bright side, I did sell my G7 body and Pan 100-300 II, so some of my recent expenses have been offset.

Now I'm back to contemplating bags. I bought the Peak Design 20L V1 and I like it, but it's going to be the carryon bag for my trip, and I wonder if I should have gotten the 30L V2 instead...
You have to check the rules for your flight but I think generally you are allowed a personal bag and a carry-on.
I usually have my daily use backpack as my personal bag and then I can have a carry-on as well, you could use one of those hard-case overnight rollers as a carry-on and put the camera bag in that.
That would give you lots of space for your gear.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom