what photography related item did you buy this week?

NoTan2

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Strap getting in the way of the right hand is a common problem with MANY/ANY strap.
It's been so long since I've fitted a strap to the lugs on a camera that I'd forgotten. :)
Get a BOTTOM plate, then attach the right strap to the plate.
A small bottom plate is now included with the Slide Lite - I had to buy a microPlate separately for the Leash.

Anyway, I fitted the included bottom plate, and it is a big improvement, as you say. And the wider strap is much more comfortable than the thinner Leash.

I toyed with the idea of buying a Capture Clip in 2014 (v1 at the time, I think) but it was very expensive then in Aussie dollars so I passed. The v3 is significantly cheaper now, so I'm considering it for a few upcoming trips for the longer walks.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
The way you used your SRT-101 was contrary to how we were taught back in the 70s.
Turn the meter OFF when you are not using it.​
So turning the meter OFF was SoP.
You're absolutely correct! I just checked the user manual, and they do recommend turning off the meter when not in use. I did it wrong all of the time!

Screenshot_20200214-032136_Drive-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The morals of this story probably is that I should start reading user manuals before they turn vintage, and stop being so cocky 🤣 Fat chance...

Thanks/Erik

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Peak Design Slide Lite.

I'm not sure I like it yet.

Since I haven't been able to find any reports of the strap lugs failing on the E-M1 ii, I've just fitted it to the lugs as a quick test. When I raise it up to my eye, the strap seems to kind of bunch up and get in the way of my hands and fingers.

I bought the original PD Leash (and Cuff) in 2014 for my E-M5/12-40 and fitted it to a micro plate (since there were reports of lugs failing on that model.) It never got in the way - because it was so thin and flexible and because it was attached to the base of the camera - but I generally found it uncomfortable when wearing a t-shirt because it was so thin. It cut into my neck when sliding it up to take a shot. And I was unlucky enough to get one of the straps with the design fault in the springy end connectors. They were redesigned to make them more secure but were very painful to disconnect. Definitely a no-go for the heavier E-M1 - hence the Slide Lite. The end connectors seem to work much better on the newer model.

The old PD Cuff has been attached to my E-P5 more or less permanently since 2014 - it's fine with the 17/1.8.

Early days yet. I notice that the instructions suggest attaching one end to the supplied anchor plate and the other to a lug when using a long lens (I guess the 12-40 qualifies) so I'll give that a try.

Plenty of people seem to like the Slide Lite so it's probably just me. :frown:
No you are not alone as I purchased one but in the end I just use PD wrist straps

I liked mine but my camera setups are so light I decided I did not need it

when I get a 100-400 I may change my mind that is if the overall weight does not exceed the lug capacity

for my G85 I think that was 1.5 Kg

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
It's been so long since I've fitted a strap to the lugs on a camera that I'd forgotten. :)
A small bottom plate is now included with the Slide Lite - I had to buy a microPlate separately for the Leash.

Anyway, I fitted the included bottom plate, and it is a big improvement, as you say. And the wider strap is much more comfortable than the thinner Leash.

I toyed with the idea of buying a Capture Clip in 2014 (v1 at the time, I think) but it was very expensive then in Aussie dollars so I passed. The v3 is significantly cheaper now, so I'm considering it for a few upcoming trips for the longer walks.
Capture Clip V3 is great.
I use it both on a PD sling bag and on my hiking daypack.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well it isn't a direct camera accessory per se, but I just bit the bullet and ordered 3 glasses from zenni optical (two progressive glasses for distance, and one bi-focal for computer).

At the moment, I use tri-focals for my distance glasses. I had previously tried progressives many years ago, but they didn't take. I figure maybe the tech for the glasses has gotten better, maybe my eyes are more able to adapt to progressives.

I do find with the tri-focals that getting in that narrow range of the intermediate focal length to see the EVF or rear screen takes some head movement to get the right angle.

But I wasn't about to pay the prices the Luxottica retail stores charge to try progressives once again, and find that ultimately that they weren't acceptable. But I was willing to pay the smaller price for the mail order chain for what will become second glasses. If they fail, they fail, but my out of pocket cost is less. If my prescription changes, and I need to switch glasses, then I will order an initial set from the retail stores, because it is important to get the adjustments done.

Peak Design Sling 10l V1 bag in black. Debate on the V2 but decided to try out the V1 instead. I love it, its good for comfortably fitting: G9, battery grip, 100-400, 12-35, 35-100, a prime. Or leave the 100-400 and carry more lenses.

In terms of safely carrying everything, making lens switching easier, quick access to small bits like batteries an CPL filter this thing ticks off all the boxes. Even surprised at how well it carries a my smaller BeFree tripod. Now I want a 5/6l for lighter days.

Only gripe is I'm not too fond of the black color... it really looks like a camcorder bag and like I'm carrying expensive items.

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Peak Design Sling 10l V1 bag in black. Debate on the V2 but decided to try out the V1 instead. I love it, its good for comfortably fitting: G9, battery grip, 100-400, 12-35, 35-100, a prime. Or leave the 100-400 and carry more lenses.

In terms of safely carrying everything, making lens switching easier, quick access to small bits like batteries an CPL filter this thing ticks off all the boxes. Even surprised at how well it carries a my smaller BeFree tripod. Now I want a 5/6l for lighter days.

Only gripe is I'm not too fond of the black color... it really looks like a camcorder bag and like I'm carrying expensive items.
I have a 5l sling in ash colour and like it a lot, and recently picked up a 6l bag in midnight blue - looks really nice. Their black bags look kind of boring tbh.

I have a 5l sling in ash colour and like it a lot, and recently picked up a 6l bag in midnight blue - looks really nice. Their black bags look kind of boring tbh.
Agreed. Looking at the V2 slings I will give them credit- they do not look like camera bags at all. In particular I really like that midnight blue but the 10l version is not in stock (nor does it seem like it ever will?). Only thing that turned me off from the V2 (aside from price) is the detached tripod straps and the outside pocket doesn't have the lined pockets which I find super useful for CPL filters. How do you get along with the 6l?

Recently a used V1 ash 10l sling and black 5l popped up on CL and I'm debating on getting both for the price I paid and sending this V1 back...

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
haven't used a 10l sling - I have a Tenba DNA11 in cobalt for a larger kit.
5l is great, but a little bit tight for my travel kit. 6l does a better job, being only a little bit larger. imho V2 is better than V1 due to several small improvements and changes.
If you can get two for the price of one and still return your black 10l V1 - go for it. I have the 5l for more than a year and use it quite a lot - still looks like new.

Last edited:

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
Bought my second EP-5 off of Kijiji - A wonderful piece of machinery -
Pick one up if you can - You'll love it -Here is a quick shot -

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I've been after a properly pocketable camera for some time now - the Pen F with P20-1.7 is small, agreed, but it doesn't really slip into a pocket too well (much as I absolutely love this combo). The Ricoh GR line kept coming up as highly recommended, so decided to go for a new GRIII. Having sold all my Fuji X gear (kept my trusty old X-Pro1 and the Mitakon 35-0.95 though) I had some cash spare.

24MP, APS-C sensor with IBIS, all crammed into a tiny body. It's a little, powerful peach:

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been away from MFT for a while, since I sold my GX9 and lenses. Years ago I rented a Pen F when it first came out, and it was great paired with the 17mm 1.8, but I just felt the camera was more than I wanted to pay.

Fast forward to this week, and I came across a mint Pen F with only 400 shutter snaps, and it was less than 1/2 its original cost. I grabbed it, along with another 17/1.8. I still have a film Pen F 38/1.8 lens and MFT adapter. That lens rendered really nicely on the GX9 and the Pen F I rented. Just for giggles, I dug out an old image I had made back in 2016. Wish I knew a way to make that gothic "F" for real, rather than just digital trickery:

PenF.png

Real Name
Richard
I've been away from MFT for a while, since I sold my GX9 and lenses. Years ago I rented a Pen F when it first came out, and it was great paired with the 17mm 1.8, but I just felt the camera was more than I wanted to pay.

Fast forward to this week, and I came across a mint Pen F with only 400 shutter snaps, and it was less than 1/2 its original cost. I grabbed it, along with another 17/1.8. I still have a film Pen F 38/1.8 lens and MFT adapter. That lens rendered really nicely on the GX9 and the Pen F I rented. Just for giggles, I dug out an old image I had made back in 2016. Wish I knew a way to make that gothic "F" for real, rather than just digital trickery:

View attachment 802812
You had me there for a second. I was about to lecture you about the dangers of going shopping without your glasses on.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Second E-M1X. Was holding out for an E-M1 mk III but was a bit underwhelmed. Few sales and cash backs on ATM bring the E-M1X price down to $200 (AU) more than an E-M1 mk III (which is a much better deal)

Edit: Price is less than an E-M1 mk III

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Yes, it's quite amazing what the second-hand value of very capable cameras (of all systems) is today.

Must... stop... reading.... :blush: I'm eyeing an Olympus om-2n with 50 1.4 just to be able to shoot Ilford HP5 for old time's sake.
I'm still working through the thread, but I know where there's a new-in-box OM-4T...

The only SLRs that I recall using that had any kind of lock on the shutter are:
  • 1950s Exacta. Metal shield that rotated over the shutter button.
  • Nikon F2. The collar around the shutter rotated to lock the shutter
You can add to that the Pentax MX; maybe some others, but I don't remember anymore.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still working through the thread, but I know where there's a new-in-box OM-4T...

You can add to that the Pentax MX; maybe some others, but I don't remember anymore.

Some SLRs that I recall having lock on the shutter were:

Canon FTb
Prakticas
Edixas

Thanks/Erik

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Second E-M1X. Was holding out for an E-M1 mk III but was a bit underwhelmed. Few sales and cash backs on ATM bring the E-M1X price down to $200 (AU) more than an E-M1 mk III (which is a much better deal)

Edit: Price is less than an E-M1 mk III
I was in Digidirect today and looked at the size of the EM1 MkII and the EMX. I really like the ergonomics of the X but it is just too big for travel and I cant afford two new cameras.

So at this stage still looking at the MkIII, but waiting to see what the final price will be. The person I spoke to at Digidirect thinks the prices there are only place holders as the kit prices are not competitive in any way.

I am hoping the kits don't reflect the lens prices after the rumored 15% lens price increase.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom