what photography related item did you buy this week?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Must... stop... reading.... :blush: I'm eyeing an Olympus om-2n with 50 1.4 just to be able to shoot Ilford HP5 for old time's sake.
HP5+ is my staple film, I like that it looks more "30's-50's" in its grain than Tri-X which looks more "60's-80's" in my 100% subjective opinion. It does well with DF96 up to ISO 800, and scanning with my Epson V550 is quick and easy, some contrast tweaks and sharpness in LR and it's good to go!

Real Name
Roel
Agree, and although I also do like the contrasty images Tri-X gives HP5+ is more versatile in my opinion and also was my go-to film (together with FP4+).

I will definitely look in to DF96, thanks for the tip!

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Got a Mindshift Ultralight Sprint 16l hiking daypack in twilight blue.
Seems to be well made and comfy and can take quite a lot, despite its small size.
The camera compartment can easily fit my e-m1 ii with 40-150/2.8 attached and 12-40/2.8 with some room for batteries and memory cards.
Or e-m1ii/5 ii with 12-40, 7-14/2.8, 25/1.2 and batteries/memory cards.
The top section has enough room for water, clothes, food etc for a long day walk.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
I was at an estate sale this weekend - for $50, I walked out with a gorgeous OM-2, an Olympus 70-200 f4-something or other zoom, an off brand 28-70 2.8- something zoom, and (best for last) an Olympus 50mm f1.2!

Estate sale people warned me the camera was broken because you couldn't see through the viewfinder. Popped in a couple of batteries and it's back in business.

Does anybody here know if there's a shutter lock on this body? I've lost several frames by accidentally hitting the release in my bag.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was at an estate sale this weekend - for $50, I walked out with a gorgeous OM-2, an Olympus 70-200 f4-something or other zoom, an off brand 28-70 2.8- something zoom, and (best for last) an Olympus 50mm f1.2!

Estate sale people warned me the camera was broken because you couldn't see through the viewfinder. Popped in a couple of batteries and it's back in business.

Does anybody here know if there's a shutter lock on this body? I've lost several frames by accidentally hitting the release in my bag.
GREAT SCORE :thumbup:
Download the manual.
I think that model has an electronic shutter.

The only SLRs that I recall using that had any kind of lock on the shutter are:
  • 1950s Exacta. Metal shield that rotated over the shutter button.
  • Nikon F2. The collar around the shutter rotated to lock the shutter.
Back in the day, I simply did not cock the shutter until I was ready to shoot.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David

Sounds like a great buy.

The OM-2 shutter only worked with batteries, unless you selected the red B or 1/60 speeds.
Certainly don't want to waste film frames. Definitely no shutter lock. With mine like AC12 I only wound on the film before taking the photo. If you get a Winder 2 that does have a switch for off, single and sequence. If your camera has the MD designation it will have a second cap on the base which allows the drive to be fitted, very early models did not have this.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

Well done!

Found a manual for the OM2N (I saw you said OM2).

Can't remember whether the shutter locks - does it fire when the film advance lever is closed flat against the body as opposed to the standoff position?

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Well done!

Found a manual for the OM2N (I saw you said OM2).

Can't remember whether the shutter locks - does it fire when the film advance lever is closed flat against the body as opposed to the standoff position?
I ran through the manual (it came with the original printed manual) and saw where to turn the meter off (it's kind of annoying that it can be left on all of the time) but found nothing about the shutter. I was just hoping I missed something or my camera was behaving badly. I tried the shutter lever trick too: no go. Both of my Canons have a lock - the FT QL has a mechanical locking collar around the shutter release button, and the AE-1 has an electronic switch preventing accidental exposures, my Yashica TLR had one, same with my Electro. I just assumed this was a standard feature.

I've never shot an Olympus SLR. I like how it feels in the hand, compact but steady. It feels as good as my AE-1, which is my favorite camera body based on how it feels in hand. I really like Olympus' EC dial; it's implementation with the light meter is dead simple, though I'm not sure of it's placement - that's where shutter speed selection goes *arms folded in childlike defiance* :)

My car broke down on the way to that estate sale. I took it to what has to be the worst mechanic in that town and had the privilege of paying by the hour for his ignorance. Off topic rant: I told him what I thought it might be and why and he completely ignored me and started looking at the fuel system - it turned out to be ignition like I thought it was. I've only been wrenching on that truck for 20 years now, what could I possibly know about it? (Ok, I'm done) Moral of the story is I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to sell the 50mm f1.2 to try to break even for the day. I may sell the body too if I don't love it after a few rolls. Without that 50mm, I don't have much reason to have an Oly body. At least I'll get to shoot a different camera for a bit!

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I ran through the manual (it came with the original printed manual) and saw where to turn the meter off (it's kind of annoying that it can be left on all of the time) but found nothing about the shutter.
I've said it before, back in the 1970s, it was a dumb place for Olympus to put the power switch, and it is still a dumb place for the power switch.
At least with the EM1 it is easy to turn the switch on/off, with one finger. On the EM10, it is like your OM2, you have to pinch the switch with your fingers to turn it.

But there is a worse switch.
The Minolta SRT-101 has a thumb pressure switch on the bottom of the camera.
You put your thumb on the dial, pressed in, and turned.
It was such a PitA to use, that my friend would turn it on at the beginning of a shoot and turn it off after the shoot.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes I know, I already have the P12-60 f3.5/5.6, and that I could have got a dekitted PL12-60 f2.8/4.0 for far less on eBay, but I tend to go for new if a lens is going to cost me more than £300. So I bit the bullet and got me the following brand new.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I decided to by the PL12-60 after having some issues with the P12-60 when trying out video. One is the jerkiness of the zoom ring. The other is that I can sometimes pick up the IBIS noise from the lens. This is also a problem when using the P14-140mm.
The PL12-60mm has no such issues from initial tests. The zoom ring also has a firm but smooth rotation action.

When used with the Panasonic MS2 microphone it also activates the auto lens/mic zoom function in the MS2 menu option on the G90. The MS2 menu option only shows up on the Panasonic cameras by the way when you have a MS2 plugged in. With the lens and mic fitted I need the battery grip to stop the camera tilting forward.

I think that's me covered for the next year and beyond as far as lens and camera is concerned. Unless the GX10 does 8K :D

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
You will love that little beauty, I just put it at aperture 5.6 and line up the Infinity mark with the 3.5 aperture mark, hyper-focal! From about 0.3m to Infinity.
@BosseBe
@Brownie

My experience has shown that there has always been a huge variation in infinity settings with Samyang/Bower/Rokinon. Confirmed today when my copy arrived. Mine is best set as you say to 5.6 but I line infinity up with the 5.6. My copy seems much better than my 0lly12.40 for sharpness and even the edges aren't too bad. I like the rendering as well although it's raining/overcast atm but shot from my front door the images have "punch"

Z750Jay

New to Mu-43
Second hand G9 from iBay to join the GX80. Came with the cheapy battery grip and 4 batteries plus there is a second hand Pany 14-140 mk on its way as well. Just got to work out what other lens to get to complement what I already have (Pany kit 12-32, Pany 15 1.7, and Pany 40-150).

Eventually will get some thing for wild life (thinking 100-400 ) but that will have to wait several months of saving.

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
In a thinning-down of kit quite some time ago, I moved my 45-1.2 Pro on but kept the 45-1.8 in the bag mainly due to its form factor. I still hankered after a narrow DoF 'portrait' prime but whilst the 45 Pro is superb (it's an incredible lump of glass when all's said) I just didn't feel for me it was worth £700 - used - more than the tiny 1.8. In its place comes this, which arrives tomorrow:

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
couldn't resist the temptation and bought a used Pen-F from my usual camera store. Built like a tiny and very sexy looking tank. Came with all the accessories and cables, a 6 months store warranty, but no original box. Looks hardly ever used, brand new. The tiny add-on flash was still packed in its original plastic bag. Exactly 1/2 price of the new Pen-F.
Another buy is a PeakDesign 6l Everyday Sling in midnight blue, my old 5l sling was a bit too small, this one looks perfect with a few improvements compared to V1 slings.

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Scrolling down eBay last night looking for a Pana12-32mm I noticed a GX80 with the 12-32mm zoom on offer for £100. It's even in good condition. Not that I need a GX80, because I already have one. But at £100 for camera plus lens it's no way I could turn that down. It's already in the post even. So that was a bit of a bargain :D .

Andy H.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fuji X-H1 Body in VG+ condition at a very reasonable price with guarantee. Been lusting for one of these forever!
X-H1.jpg

Now if FedEx would only Hurry Up!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom