what photography related item did you buy this week?

A used Olympus 25mm f1.8 in black and Crumpler 4500 Photosling - which came in stock after almost 2 months! Also note to anyone who shopped at Adorama because no tax: its done. They now charge tax in WA. Adorama was the last holdout. Now I guess I will just buy camera stuff from Amazon.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
Also note to anyone who shopped at Adorama because no tax: its done. They now charge tax in WA. Adorama was the last holdout. Now I guess I will just buy camera stuff from Amazon.
You might check out B&H's "PayBoo" card. They charge your state sales tax where required but then apply the tax amount as a discount at checkout when you use PayBoo. In effect, B&H "swallows" the tax required by your state. They want to keep our business.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
A used Olympus 25mm f1.8 in black and Crumpler 4500 Photosling - which came in stock after almost 2 months! Also note to anyone who shopped at Adorama because no tax: its done. They now charge tax in WA. Adorama was the last holdout. Now I guess I will just buy camera stuff from Amazon.
This depends on your state laws, not the company. At Amazon I get charged tax most of the time, once in a great while something gets through without. These laws are being passed because states are losing sales tax income due to online shopping. They are being pushed very hard by Mom and Pops who see this as an advantage to those who don't have to charge it. Enjoy retailers not hitting you with sales tax while you can, it is quickly coming to an end.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Earlier on I bought a Voigtlander Bessa T kit with viewfinder and lens. I sold both of the latter items, leaving me with just the body. Yesterday I was able to find the lens I wanted (Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f2.5) with a cheap Bessa L body and a 35mm viewfinder. I don't need the L, may or may not keep the viewfinder, as I am going to test how well the old Olympus VF1 works on the T/35mm setup. It's cheap and 4/3 format, but it also works pretty well with glasses.

Real Name
Roel
For 2020 I've added a new tripod (Sirui W-2204 with K-20ii ball head) to get a more stable base.

And upgraded my filter system with a Kase K9 100mm square set (circular polarizer, 6-stops ND and 3 stops soft grad). Mainly because it doesn't add vignetting like stacking circular filters does (on the Oly 12-40mm 2.8 I got quite a bit vignetting when stacking a Firecrest circular polarizer and Hoya ND). And it does have the benefit of using graduated filters, although with the options in post-processing it's more a nice to have.

Did one afternoon shooting so far with the tripod and filter system but I'm really happy with the setup. I will do a post on my experiences with the filter system which maybe could help someone also looking for a flexibel ND-filter system.

You might check out B&H's "PayBoo" card. They charge your state sales tax where required but then apply the tax amount as a discount at checkout when you use PayBoo. In effect, B&H "swallows" the tax required by your state. They want to keep our business.
PayBoo has been on my mind of late. I never paid attention because Adorama was still there a week ago (no tax) and more often than not I have found Adorama prices more competitive than B&H.

This depends on your state laws, not the company. At Amazon I get charged tax most of the time, once in a great while something gets through without. These laws are being passed because states are losing sales tax income due to online shopping. They are being pushed very hard by Mom and Pops who see this as an advantage to those who don't have to charge it. Enjoy retailers not hitting you with sales tax while you can, it is quickly coming to an end.
You are right. When I said I will shop from Amazon I meant, if Adorama, B&H and Amazon all have same prices (and taxes) I will gladly give my money to Amazon than other two. Amazon's customer care and shipping are reasons enough for me to go to Amazon.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
PayBoo has been on my mind of late. I never paid attention because Adorama was still there a week ago (no tax) and more often than not I have found Adorama prices more competitive than B&H.

You are right. When I said I will shop from Amazon I meant, if Adorama, B&H and Amazon all have same prices (and taxes) I will gladly give my money to Amazon than other two. Amazon's customer care and shipping are reasons enough for me to go to Amazon.
I dunno, while I find Amazon's replacement policy to be a mark in their favor, I've had a number of issues with Amazon's shipping, that unless I can get an expensive item delivered to an Amazon locker, I will likely look around for another seller that uses USPS, UPS, or FedEX.

Because I live on a private road, and all of the delivery drivers (FedEX, USPS, UPS, etc.) seem to deliver packages to the wrong house and leave things in non-obvious places, I often times will send deliveries to my work or my wife's work address where there are people to sign for packages. Amazon drivers have been known to leave packages on the loading dock without knocking on the mail room door or calling the number listed on the dock wall, trying to attempt delivery after hours, or even leaving the package by one of the other employee entrances. And I do tend to complain when they do this, and for a time things are better, and then they get a new round of drivers, and it starts over again.

In the case of cameras, I tend to buy new gear if I can from my brick and mortar store, even if the B&M store has a higher price within reason. There are things that I don't tend to buy at the B&M store (flash memory cards for instance), but I do want my local B&M store to be successful, so that I can go in and try things out before buying them.

In the case of cameras, I tend to buy new gear if I can from my brick and mortar store, even if the B&M store has a higher price within reason. There are things that I don't tend to buy at the B&M store (flash memory cards for instance), but I do want my local B&M store to be successful, so that I can go in and try things out before buying them.
Almost 95% of my gear purchases are used (FM, Reddit, mpb, ebay, Craigslist and of late from here) I understand it's hard to beat personal sale prices found on Fred Miranda but I wish local stores here had better prices and choices for used gear. So I buy things locally (Kenmore Camera) which I must have a "feel" before like straps, bags, cases, tripod/monopod.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Almost 95% of my gear purchases are used (FM, Reddit, mpb, ebay, Craigslist and of late from here) I understand it's hard to beat personal sale prices found on Fred Miranda but I wish local stores here had better prices and choices for used gear. So I buy things locally (Kenmore Camera) which I must have a "feel" before like straps, bags, cases, tripod/monopod.
Kind of backwards a bit from a $ standpoint. Accessories are always at higher markup than the main event. This is true with everything from musical instruments to cars to guns to cameras. There are much better deals on the net for accessories because there are so many aftermarket suppliers. My local store matches internet prices for cameras and lenses, sometimes a few bucks more, sometimes a few bucks less. Their accessories are very high.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Ordered a JJC autofocus calibration test chart. With the 40-150 and 300 Pro, plus the MC-14 and MC-20 teleconverters in my optics collection, I figured that it was time to make sure everything focuses properly.

Real Name
Roel
Received a new camera bag today (Lowepro flipside trek 450), quite roomy but perfect for current my setup. Nice muted colors on the bag.

Waiting on an L-bracket which will come in handy with shooting portrait orientation which I currently prefer for most of my landscape shots.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Well recently I sold four Panasonic 12, 42.5, 45 and 45-175 lenses and got a very good price, so in came Nikkor S 14-30mm and 35mm lenses as I’m experimenting with a Nikon Z6 to explore FF photography. :th_salute:

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Bought a used Panasonic G9 and while I was at the seller's house, he brought out some other stuff to see if I wanted to buy them so I also ended up with a Godox TT350O. He also showed me an Olympus 75/1.8. It had a small dent near its base where it was dropped but it seemed to be fine, otherwise. Fortunately I managed to get out of there without buying it as well. ;-) It was silver...if it were black then that'd be another story, perhaps.

In the meantime, I'm coming to grips with how I should program all the G9's function buttons and also mourning the small size and weight of my G85. I can't rationalize keeping it so the G85 will have to go on Craigslist soon.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Bought a used Panasonic G9 and while I was at the seller's house, he brought out some other stuff to see if I wanted to buy them so I also ended up with a Godox TT350O. He also showed me an Olympus 75/1.8. It had a small dent near its base where it was dropped but it seemed to be fine, otherwise. Fortunately I managed to get out of there without buying it as well. ;-) It was silver...if it were black then that'd be another story, perhaps.

In the meantime, I'm coming to grips with how I should program all the G9's function buttons and also mourning the small size and weight of my G85. I can't rationalize keeping it so the G85 will have to go on Craigslist soon.
Check to see if it has the newest firmware update, it's a fantastic improvement to focus especially, but has other plusses as well. Lots of G9 threads in the Panny forum.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Check to see if it has the newest firmware update, it's a fantastic improvement to focus especially, but has other plusses as well. Lots of G9 threads in the Panny forum.
Yup, it has ver 2.0. I haven't had an opportunity to seriously try out the various AF modes (just got on the camera on Saturday) but the animal/face detect works very well. Also I'm very much looking forward to using IS Lock when I shoot video.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom