what photography related item did you buy this week?

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I've wanted one of these since I was a spotty teenager (which is more years ago than I like to dwell on!). Whilst it won't be as forensically accurate, nor anywhere near as easy, quick and convenient to use as a half decent digital camera, I just know I'll derive great pleasure from shooting with it. However, having been seriously ill in the latter half of this year, and still thankful to be breathing God's air, I just thought 'f**k it - life's too short not to'.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Richard
I bought Raya Pro 4 for Photoshop luminosity masking. I wasted my money. I can achieve what I wanted Raya Pro for in Lumenzia (already had it) and by making changes in mask density/contrast.

It's over complicated. The included tutorials are good, but are often along the lines of 'well you can use Raya Pro this way, but if you want to see what it can really do, you are going to have to pay me some more money'. If I wanted a screen full of clutter, I would use channels.

There are an impressive number of buttons on the Raya Pro main dashboard, but a lot of them do things that are already built in to the Photoshop menus (stack, align, delete layer etc etc). It's good though if you want to pretend to be on The Starship Enterprise.

I find myself switching mostly to Lumenzia - it's easier to use, better laid out and simpler. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say it's better though. I just find it easier to understand how to make it work. Greg Benz's free tutorials are more comprehensive.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
My desktop pc started acting weird and I feel it's going to break any day now so made some hasty moves and ordered new components to build a new one.
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
- MB: ASUS Prime X570-P
- RAM: G.Skill Aegis 64GB DDR4
- SSD for OS: Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus M.2 250GB
- GPU: Palit GeForce GTX1050 TI KalmX passive cooling

Hopefully this will keep running smoothly & silently for the next +5 years. The downside is that I will be force to switch from Win7 to 10 but I guess I'll survive... :D

Ordered the Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7. The reviews have been stellar - reviewers have said it can replace all the primes in that range. Focus Camera via Rakuten offered it with 20% back in points so I got $377 in Rakuten points I can use on something else. I also had $178 in Rakuten points so I bought it for around $1600. Very excited to try this lens. The PL 50-200 is my currently favorite lens - Panasonic has really knocked it out of the park with these Panasonic Leica zooms.

Real Name
Butch Oakey
I purchased Luminar 3 (Windows), which has some great features, last year, but it was buggy and at times almost unusable for the first 4 months after the initial release. It's mostly stable now, but can be still quite slow when switching between edited images. I wouldn't buy Luminar 4 at its initial release. The Luminar forums are full of complaints of instability and bugs; wait to see if patches resolve these issues.
Have you tried Faststone? It works very well for me on a Windows 10 computer, ymmv

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
Just ordered a QZSD Q999H Pro Diamond Edition Tripod

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
A £0.99 Bluetooth remote release for my phone. Works!

mpresley

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I wanted a bag that was slightly bigger than what I had that would have room to add the 7-14 to the collection that I carry for travel. That little bit space was pretty expensive but it's a perfect fit. Bag by Gitzo.

IMG_20191210_220758.jpg

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Bonus received. I don't need the lens right now. With Black Friday already gone, not sure if I should try and shop late sales or wait until everything slows in Jan-Feb. Also considering used, but it's have to be perfect used like my 50-200.

Real Name
Cynthia
Well, I was forced to sell all of my Canon gear (thoracic disk issues) to KEH at our local photog store, and I was given a choice. I could receive a check or check and gift certificate for the camera store. The check (with gift certificate) only had a $120 difference between the check only and check with gift certificate—gift certificate was $500! It was a no brainer, so took the check and gift certificate. I have all the lenses I need, I have my beloved G9 (you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands), and newly purchased GX85. So, what did I purchase? Oly omd 10 III. It was on sale, and I figured I would bite the bullet. I literally didn’t pay a dime for it. I definitely prefer my G9 and this will continue to be my main camera, as I love the features and most importantly, the menu system. The GX85 fits nicely in my purse for unexpected photo ops, and the omd 10 will be my street camera.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom