what photography related item did you buy this week?

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’m getting the Olympus 30mm f/3.5 macro for my birthday this weekend, so I’ve been investigating the weird and wonderful world of macro flash setups.

I’m an m43 user because I want lightweight, unfussy gear, which isn’t that compatible with all the wacky duct-tape-and-milk-bottle solutions people come up with.

Eventually decided to go with the following for my Pen-F:

- Olympus FL-14 flash - picked up a boxed one for £15 delivered on eBay.
- Generic elastic-mount flash reflector (silver one side, white the other).
- Generic collapsible lens-mounted flash diffuser (like an inverted baby bib) with a little zip up case.
- Miniature bulldog clip to hold them together.

We’ll see how that works! I can see one hell of a learning curve coming up either way. Never had a macro before, so pretty excited.

I’m looking forward to honing macro skills as well. I’ve never done it and from a quick test last night on a few different objects that were close to me - it ain’t easy. Macro requires a different skill set that I’m determined to master. I used single point AF for these.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/olympus/35mm-f3.5-zuiko-digital-macro/review/

E-M1 w/35mm macro - f5.0@1/160@3200 ISO
1C07E322-DB5D-4AD1-AAD4-BA5D43FA2136.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ink Dots Visible - text on Amazon Gift Card - uncropped full frame approx 3/4” x 1/2”
Edge to Edge Sharpness
E-M1 w/35mm macro - f5.0@1/10@3200 ISO
CE9E389C-E1BC-4A7D-A8B4-57F2DC9C0243.jpeg

Razor Thin DOF
E-M1 w/35mm macro - f5.6@1/40@3200 ISO
F4647F63-1EC3-48EA-9836-4A930502D9C4.jpeg

Microscopic M - the flower head that these petals are part of are around 2-3” across
E-M1 w/35mm macro - f16@1/60@3200 ISO
0FACC931-64EA-4664-ADCD-EC6BD19DDE49.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting. I knew of old 4/3 50mm macro but not 35mm. There are some gems from that time.
I used to own the 50mm f2 macro for four thirds. It was a wonderful lens for image quality. This 35mm was brought out at a lower cost than the 50mm. I never tried it as I didn’t need it. When this one came used recently, I decided to grab it instead of forking out big bucks for a dedicated micro 4/3 macro lens.

The 35mm has a higher magnification than the 50mm - up to 2:1 (2 times life size) on micro 4/3. However to get those magnifications, requires the subject to be almost right up to the front of the lens making light more difficult. You can see that by the shutter speed listed on the different shots where as I got closer, the shutter speed dropped drastically because the end table light was getting blocked.

I am determined though to find a use for the lens and figure out how to best configure it for successful images. There is no doubt that it can produce quality shots - photographer technique will be the most important though.

Real Name
Amol
The 35mm has a higher magnification than the 50mm - up to 2:1 on micro 4/3. However to get those magnifications, requires the subject to be almost right up to the front of the lens making light more difficult. You can see that by the shutter speed listed on the different shots where as I got closer, the shutter speed dropped drastically because the end table light was getting blocked.

I am determined though to find a use for the lens and figure out how to best configure it for successful images. There is no doubt that it can produce quality shots - photographer technique will be the most important though.
Agree with this. I recently got into macro and it is a whole new world out there. Apart from superb Oly 60mm, I also bought Mitakon 20mm super macro 1:4.5 ratio lens and has the same problem as what you are facing, in fact more severe. I am planning to build tiny LED ring around the front element of that lens since my FL600R with diffuser isn't working well with it. It is also near impossible to focus without rails, so there's that too. If nothing works, look for my post on B&S forum for Mitakon 20mm super macro soon :D

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
35mm has a higher magnification than the 50mm - up to 2:1 (2 times life size) on micro 4/3
Minor aside: the 35 mm is 1:1 and the 50 mm just under 1:2. Olympus just likes to market their 1x (m)43 macros as the equivalent of 2:1 on full frame due to the crop factor. There are a few 2x macros built as conventional lenses, such as the Laowa 60mm and pending Laowa 100mm but, offhand, I think all of them require adaptation to m43 mount.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Minor aside: the 35 mm is 1:1 and the 50 mm just under 1:2. Olympus just likes to market their 1x (m)43 macros as the equivalent of 2:1 on full frame due to the crop factor. There are a few 2x macros built as conventional lenses, such as the Laowa 60mm and pending Laowa 100mm but, offhand, I think all of them require adaptation to m43 mount.
Yes that is true. The 50mm f2 becomes 1:1.

tobahl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tobias Åhlander
Got my GM1 today, with a 3D printed grip it's almost the size of the gx800 :)

Alexlotl

Mu-43 Regular
Got my £15 FL-14 in the post today. Surprisingly solid little flash, the metal casing surprised me. I guess it was designed to match the production quality of the original E-P1. It’s the silver one, aesthetically a good match for my silver/black Pen-F.

Obviously it’s a wash features wise with no tilt or bounce, but it should hopefully diffuse nicely for Macro. Not that the aesthetics will matter much when it’s part of a jury-rigged macro setup!

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
Took advantage of Olympus trade up offer - Traded in my EM1-1 for a new EM1-Mkii -
Still getting used to the newness of it all - With my 12-100 it seems to make an unbeatable
combo -

MonikaO

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Monika
I have a bid in on a Panasonic lens 45-150mm MFT, so fingers crossed this will be my buy for this week :)
I am on a very tight budget so 70 euro would be great for me.

Real Name
Amol
Got Gordy's neck and hand strap made from pure leather. They seem ok. Not the finest in the world nor the most comfortable but go well with EM1.2's retro look.

For the price it's good and is made in USA, so there's that too. I am just a little skeptical about the string that connects to camera, but on Gordy's website he's shown how strong that material is. Let's see. I'm getting a little tired of Peak Designs tabs and seat belts.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
BidKev, where did you get the "extra pair of hands" Really useful looking.
@Bidkev

Just putting the @ in front so he gets a message to respond.
I have the sellers page booked marked at home but are away at present. The seller had a few differnt versions, one with I think 4 arms for virtually the same price. The web page sorting was a bit hard but lots of interesting things

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom