what photography related item did you buy this week?

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sold my Olly 9-18 earlier to buy the loawa 7.5 but the loawa turned out to be a lemon so I've returned it for a refund. So,............not wishing to risk another loawa lemon, I've bought back into the Olly. My new one, a demo with 12 month warranty, only cost me $20 more than the one I sold so I'm not that devastated. :thumbup:
The 9-18 is far from being my most used lens, but it comes so handy when I need it that I wouldn't consider parting with it (and I got it extremely cheap, so there's that, too).
M.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
The 9-18 is far from being my most used lens, but it comes so handy when I need it that I wouldn't consider parting with it (and I got it extremely cheap, so there's that, too).
M.
@mauve Yes, I use the 12-40 more but there's the odd occasion when it just isn't wide enough and the fact that it was only the "odd" occasion had me thinking that perhaps I would take more pics with something wider. Not to be though as when I get a bad copy of a lens, (only twice before that I recall which from memory were Rokinon and 7artisan, as in this case, manual focus), I'm never likely to buy into another copy of that same lens..............all trust is gone regardless of positive reviews. Gone are the days when you could trust the hyperfocal scales.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Bought the film scanner accessory for a Canoscan 700F LIDE scanner, which gives me the ability to scan negatives at a decent resolution. Now I just need to figure out how to make the dusty old scanner take clean and sharp scans.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I found a deal on the 7artisans 55mm f/1.4 so it has replaced the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 in my lightweight, three manual focus primes kit. I had to add some closed cell foam to the tiny Domke F-5XB as it's now a little big since the lens swap.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Figured I had better buy one of the Godox studio AD600 Pro HSS/TTL heads given Adorama (Rebranded as Flashpoint Xplor.) had them on sale for $729 last week. Now they are back up to the normal $899 again. No telling where they may end up with the tariff increase ($1,000+ ???) so I couldn't wait. I wanted more HSS output than what the speedlights were giving me and the need to keep them very close to the subject.

Flash

Metal beauty dish. (I would have preferred the silver one for more output too than the white paint model. My ordering error. :dash2: )

Aside, my local hobby shop owner said his Futaba RC radios are going up 25% due to the tariff. It seems a lot more than some which are only 10%. I thought Futaba was Japanese and made there, but guess not. Now with Olympus being made in Vietnam maybe they won't be targeted for the tariff. I read where Sony 135mm f/1.8 lens was targeted being made in China and went up $200: Sony lens price increase.

A Zeiss Biotar Jena 58mm f2..
listed ‘ugly’ at KEH.. wouldn’t have afforded it otherwise.
seems to have oily blades but I’m excited with it! Tempted to reach out to Henry Scherer for a rehab has anyone used this business of late?

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bought a Laowa 7.5 f2 manual lens (last week Friday), tested it over the weekend and didn't really like it. My friend, who's also looking for a non-fisheye lens for MFT also didn't like it.

I used my Prime account to express order a Panasonic 8-18 for him on Sunday for 882 Euros (used, but with Amazon warranty).

This morning, my German buy/sell forum sported a brand new Panasonic lens for just 750 Euros. Needless to say, I bought it.

Now I'm desperately waiting for Amazon to refund me for the Laowa, and for my friend's money to appear on my bank account 😂

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That spontaneous trip to the Dolomites is costing me.

Just ordered a set of NISI m75 filters (hoping they won't vignette on my lenses), and a pair of Vallerret Pro 2.0 photographer gloves so I won't freeze my fingers off anymore in winter.

Neil_jo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Neil Johnson
I like photographing insects with the 40-150 pro lens on a monopod and find adjusting the height up or down a pain because I have to lift the whole rig up to get at the adjusters usually scaring the insects away. So I bought a Neewer T222 monopod with a foot that screws onto the bottom leg. I unscrewed the camera plate from the top and attached the legs there and put the camera plate on the bottom leg, so basically turned the whole thing upside down. now the leg adjustments are right under the camera. Can't wait to try it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You should consider one of the EM10’s. Almost as small as a PEN, smaller than a PEN-F, and has a good EVF. That’s what I did. Picked up an EM10 II body refurbed for $299.
Well the E-m10 mark II or mark III have a good EVF. The original E-m10 mark I had the TFT LCD viewfinder that is problematical with polarized sunglasses.

If you are used to Olympus menus, and/or want a wired shutter release, go for the E-m10 mark II.

If complex menus frighten you (and you won't miss the stuff dropped or 'hidden'), or you want to use a standard micro-USB cable, or you want to record 4K video, go for the E-m10 mark III.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bought a large 8" diameter Styrofoam ball in the craft store today.

The bin full of them got me thinking about the ETTR and the red over-exposure blinkies in the Olympus. "Could it maximize the ETTR without relying on the meter?" :confused-53:

Using FastRawViewer, that 8" diameter white Styrofoam ball really lights up the red over-exposure blinkies in the sunlight. Easy to see where they disappear at too at which point that becomes the exposure setting. Could be some of the specular highlights on the Styrofoam ball cause the camera's O-E blinkies to respond faster than a matte object or card.

Odd part was as the wind was blowing the ball around the yard, I could see the red blinkies change the exposure on the 12-100mm f/4 Pro lens. Might be due to some slight f/stop variance with the zoom or distance and the internal focusing part. Whatever it was, that white ball causes the O-E binkies to be on steroids!

Couple shots below at 1/400 and 1/500 second from E-M1 II and 12-100mm f/4 Pro lens. Luckily, the blue scrub jay showed up to be the model. At 1/400 second, the red blinkies were on the top of the ball. At 1/500 they disappeared, and that is where the FastRawViewer seemed to indicate the proper exposure was found for the RAW file. :yahoo:

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
You should consider one of the EM10’s. Almost as small as a PEN, smaller than a PEN-F, and has a good EVF. That’s what I did. Picked up an EM10 II body refurbed for $299.
Yup, that or a GX85 was what I was thinking. I have quite a bit on my wish list right now, so thats on the backburner.

Interesting finds Mack, that also reminds me, I finally purchased FastRawViewer. After a month with the trial playing around with it I have no idea why I havent purchased sooner.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Pretty sure this setup is the first of its kind... Got the Xiaomi Mi 4K action cam. Interested in trying it out, and seeing if I enjoy making POV videos.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom