what photography related item did you buy this week?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Picked up an unused Lumix G Vario 12-32 f3.5-5.6 pancake at a very good price locally - I had been wanting something a little more compact then the Oly 14-42 for the EPL-8 to make it more of a fit in a jacket or pants pocket - This lens fills the bill nicely and weighs next to nothing - It appears to be a capable lens - I have had good luck recently on Kijiji -
View attachment 766134View attachment 766135View attachment 766136
Those deep rear m43 lens caps are what I'm looking for! I find they give a better grip when removing and replacing rear caps, but I only have one.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Two mini arca swiss plates, and as you can see the top one has been machined upside down :confused:
For ~$5.00 each I am not going to leave a negative review but I will let the seller know.

I suppose I got what I paid for, but it would cost as much for a spare screw, and I will grind a new dovetail on it myself, nothing to loose.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Two mini arca swiss plates, and as you can see the top one has been machined upside down :confused:
For ~$5.00 each I am not going to leave a negative review but I will let the seller know.

I suppose I got what I paid for, but it would cost as much for a spare screw, and I will grind a new dovetail on it myself, nothing to loose.

View attachment 767266
I got the same. I didn’t get upside down dovetails though.. :)
But I have to put one in the vise and file away some metal to make it fit my ball head. Quite good really.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I was looking forward to trying it out but it never worked so had to file a return.
Oh man, keep it on your "watch list." This one is a keeper!

I got mine for $525 from BorrowLenses.com when they closed out all their 4/3rds gear at 50% off! I was a bit worried about buying a rental that might have been abused, and they rated it 3.5 out of 5, which by evilBays standards, evidently equates to "MINT ++++++!!!" They don't have any more 4/3rds gear, but I heartily recommend them for used gear.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Well I found myself buying yet another HLD-6 tonight (refurbished from Roberts Camera). I like to do steampunk and science fiction events with my camera in a steampunk case. The case is always designed around a camera, and in this case it was the E-m5 mark I with HLD-6. While I don't tend to use the battery portrait grip normally, I find it is useful for the steampunk cases, since it can double the runtime. Usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to disassemble the case enough to take the camera out to change the battery, and another 5-10 minutes to put things back.

The other time I like to use the grip is when I'm shooting video with my G85 so I don't have to worry about running out of battery (I can switch batteries in the grip while the camera is still recording on the tripod when it has switched over to using the body battery). But for normal shooting, I don't like the extra heft the grips add to my cameras.

I attended a small steampunk event in Maine today. I was trying to attach the E-m5 mark I to the HLD-6 in the case. Evidently some of the pins in the bottom part were bent or pushed in, and it just wouldn't attach. Now, I had a backup steampunk camera (Olympus Stylus-1 in a box that looks like a book that is an ancient tome of knowledge), but I saw potential storm clouds and that stayed in the car. So I had the novel experience of doing a steampunk event with the E-m1 mark I that wasn't disguised.

I need to rethink how to make it easier to insert and remove the camera from the steampunk camera case when I get the replacement HLD-6.

Here is what the steampunk camera looks like after I did an event in May (photo was taken in the Hunts photo store after the event). This iteration has the E-m5 mark I + MMF-3 adapter + Olympus 14-54mm mark II lens. I recently got the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 native lens to replace the classic 4/3rds adapted 14-54mm mark II lens. I was looking forward to using the Sigma lens for the first time.

2019-05-12-14-11-016-hidewc.jpg

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just bought the ArgyllPRO Color Meter app (~$99) for my old Samsung tablet. Offers a lot of different readings too! Ambient, flash colors and t-times (If I can find it!), CR#s of LED lamps (Mine are all 1,000K lower than what they claim!). Bunch of other stuff too. They have a free demo version in the Play Store to see if your hardware will work with it, but the number the demo shows may not be accurate and just a close approximation of 3-4 free demo ones to try out.

Luckily, I have three heads for it and all worked on the demo. These three: An x-rite i1 Display Pro (Not full color spectrometer so it has limitations and will not show the spectrum line.), Colormunki Photo, and their better i1 Photo Pro 2 spectrometer. So far, the i1 Photo Pro 2 spectrometer seems to be the most accurate and close to agreeing with my old Sekonic C-500 color meter, but it costs more too.

This app: ArgyllPRO Color Meter app for Android.

Colormeter-Testing.jpg

As shown, you can see the 4031.0 Kelvin reading with the top i1 Photo Pro 2 head plugged into the tablet. The Sekonic C-500 shows 3,990 K so not too big a difference. I think this was a daylight LED lamp given the spectrum dip. The flash unit's spectrum seems a lot flatter and even (i.e. Godox TT685-O) except when changing power output which also changes color temperature and spectrum curve.

Surprised the 5-year old tablet can power the heads off its internal battery which seems to hold up pretty well too. Supposedly, reading their EULA, the app can also be downloaded since already paid for and used with the Android phone too, but I haven't tried it.

Youtube on its operation:

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Bought cheap-ass body and lens caps. The rate at which I seem to lose them, eBay cheapos are best for me.
Hopefully they work for you. I bought some of the generic body/lens caps, and I've found that the generic body caps don't seem to fit tightly on some of the Olympus bodies. The G85 seems fine, but I tend to use the Panasonic body cap for it. So I recently bought two BC-2's when I was buying a second MMF-3 at keh.com.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
After a year of internal debate, I bought a DJI Mavic Air drone. The places I can fly it are somewhat limited near where I live but I intend to use it for recording footage when we're riding our dirt bikes so that won't be a problem.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom