what photography related item did you buy this week?

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Finally broke down and bought the overpriced L-bracket component for the RRS plate for the E-M1 II. I had been using an add-on generic L-bracket, but it was just a PITA. The integrated L-bracket is much nicer, but it's a blatant rip-off at $100 for just the L-bracket IMO.

Jason Stamper

Mu-43 Veteran
Someone on this forum posted that Olympus had re-stocked their reconditioned outlet, though I can't find the thread at the moment. Thanks, but no thanks whoever you are! My wallet is stinging today, and Olympus is about to send me a reconditioned Pen F in silver. Yes I paid extra for the silver, and just because I think it looks awesome! Now I already have some nice native glass, but I am thinking about snagging one of those cheap Russian lenses for occasional fun on the Pen F. Likely not something to use for my serious work, but would be a whole lot of fun to mess around with.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a great condition E-M1 in silver... Gotta feel it to help lessen the sting of the Pen F lol...

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Someone on this forum posted that Olympus had re-stocked their reconditioned outlet, though I can't find the thread at the moment. Thanks, but no thanks whoever you are! My wallet is stinging today, and Olympus is about to send me a reconditioned Pen F in silver. Yes I paid extra for the silver, and just because I think it looks awesome! Now I already have some nice native glass, but I am thinking about snagging one of those cheap Russian lenses for occasional fun on the Pen F. Likely not something to use for my serious work, but would be a whole lot of fun to mess around with.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a great condition E-M1 in silver... Gotta feel it to help lessen the sting of the Pen F lol...
Outlet Store - Digital Cameras, Lenses, Accessories | Olympus

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Completing my trio with the 496.

On the weekend I bought my son a used EM1-MK1 from @turbodieselvw for his trip to Vancouver in a couple of weeks. Btw, great meeting you Konrad!

My son is a very talented 3D graphic artist now working on VR projects, has a keen eye and was expressing an interest in photography so while asking questions about my own needs (GAS, really, not needs) the MK1 offer came up. I also picked up Greengo’s excellent video tutorial for him, available at Creative Live. So far he’s got a Panny 14/2.5 to use but I’m sure he’ll have his eye on some of my own glass to “test out”

While looking for a camera for my son (results of that on post 5227) I noticed a posting in buy and sell for a 300/4, from a fellow Canuck no less. The 300/4 has been on my drool list as a birding and nature lens but has been out of reach. Also I would have had to find a way to justify the expense on the home front. No harm in asking price though. While conversing with @RenaudVL the offer of a 300/4 + EM1-MK2 works it’s away into the conversation. The MK2 was the camera I had originally been looking at when I first got into Mu-4/3... but $$$$ took that out of the equation, especially as I had no experience with 4/3 then.
After almost pulling the trigger on the combo at a Vistek show in Toronto last autumn, and probably sleeping on the couch for a month, I hadn’t really looked at the MK2 as I was perfectly happy with my EM5MK2.
I have to admit I’ve been super busy lately and Renaud was extremely patient with me as I tried to find a way to broach the topic of another camera body... not to mention the long glass... coming into the home.
I can now report that my wife is the most wonderful person in the world and I am the happy owner of an EM1-MK2 + 300/4 combo.
I met Renaud in the parking lot Starbucks/IKEA in Ottawa on Saturday and had a very interesting conversation. Hope to meet up again sometime... and maybe a meetup with Konrad as well if he ever stops travelling so much!
Looking back at the meetup with Renaud it must have looked very clandestine though. Here we were sitting in the front of his SUV, in the back of the parking lot, facing the lot, with some guy (me) pointing a very long lens towards traffic and passers by. Hmmm... secret service?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Finally broke down and bought the overpriced L-bracket component for the RRS plate for the E-M1 II. I had been using an add-on generic L-bracket, but it was just a PITA. The integrated L-bracket is much nicer, but it's a blatant rip-off at $100 for just the L-bracket IMO.
A few weeks ago I got the even more overpriced Manfrotto Q5 l-bracket to fit the bargain Q5 ball and socket head I bought the week before. I'd have been better off getting a new Arca Swiss compatible head and buying a much cheaper l-bracket :(

Now bought an EM1.2 battery grip to make the camera tall enough to centre the lens in the new bracket and change batteries without having to dismantle the newly centred bracket!

It's never ending.

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
Made another small purchase to go with my O12-40 and ordered up a b+w pro kaesemann mrc-nano polarizing filter.

leungw

Deal Hunter
Real Name
Willy
New toy. :)

Jeff Storck

Mu-43 Regular
I just picked up one of those chinese knock-off battery grips for my G85. It looks and feels identical to the $350.00 version from Panasonic, for only $50.00. I got a chance to use it today, and so far the verdict is good!

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Battery arrived today. The light meter needle seems unresponsive. I guess the first roll will be shot using sunny 16....
It's a common problem for the solder on the bottom plate to become oxydized over time, especially if a mercury battery has been forgotten. Sometimes it's even the wire that connects the battery compartment to the needle that's eaten through. Unscrew the bottom plate and check the wire connection (only one wire, the minus current goes through the metal of the camera).
HTH,
M.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Two softboxes with stands and extra bulbs.

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
New camera bag is ordered, went with a lowepro hatchback 250 AW II, Think I'm all set for our vacation in July now with all these additions!

Last edited:

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's a common problem for the solder on the bottom plate to become oxydized over time, especially if a mercury battery has been forgotten. Sometimes it's even the wire that connects the battery compartment to the needle that's eaten through. Unscrew the bottom plate and check the wire connection (only one wire, the minus current goes through the metal of the camera).
HTH,
M.
Thanks Mauve, I'll open a separate topic on that. I just realized my Olympus 35RC uses exactly the same kind of battery, in that case I have an ordinary Duracell (which probably biases the light meter reading a bit). I swapped the two batteries, and I'm now 100% sure the Wein Cell is fine while something is wrong with the body. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to unscrew the bottom plate, I might go for CLA, I hope I have someone reliable to do this in town...

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks Mauve, I'll open a separate topic on that. I just realized my Olympus 35RC uses exactly the same kind of battery, in that case I have an ordinary Duracell (which probably biases the light meter reading a bit). I swapped the two batteries, and I'm now 100% sure the Wein Cell is fine while something is wrong with the body. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to unscrew the bottom plate, I might go for CLA, I hope I have someone reliable to do this in town...
Opening the base plate is nothing, just a couple of screws to assess the condition of the electrical conductivity. Soldering on the other hand is hard. I gave it to my uncle (who's been hacking electronics since his teens) and he had a really hard time repairing it. The wire was "rotten" so he had to first shorten it to get back to the point where it was still in good shape, then solder another bit of good wire on that end and protect the solder under a sleeve, which was difficult because the solder wouldn't stick, and finally connect it to the terminal on the plate. He told me it was common for mercury cells to destroy the leads over time due to the chemicals used in the cell that reacted badly with certain metals. Anyhow, I was glad he did it because I was way out of my depth there. He's the type to etch his own PCBs at home, so when he says it's difficult, I do not question his findings.
The other option would have been to change the electrical wire, but this would have required a complete dismantling of the camera instead of simply opening the base.
M.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom