What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

Real Name
Andrew L
This doesn't really qualify as an "almost bought," but I finally had the chance to go into a physical store with an inventory of cameras including all the newest ones from the past couple years which I hadn't had a chance to see. So I had a bit of a kid in a candy store vibe, no doubt. I appreciate the patience of the Glazier's Camera staff.

My biggest takeaway was from the G100, which I've been really curious about since it launched. It's got a really very nice EVF, if they can put that into an entry level hybrid camera, how come they can't put it in a GX series camera? Overall the ergonomics and build of the G100 are very nice, I could see picking one up eventually, maybe as a replacement for my wife's GF7.

And of course the other things I saw were fun too: wow, the Hasselblad 907X looks nice, the Sigma fp with 45mm 2.8 is cool, the Fuji XE4 is a very nice overall size...

Slinky Malinki

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil
This is more a case of “failed to buy”, rather than “almost bought”. I logged into my B&H account this evening to purchase several hundred dollars of accessories that I had in my cart, but discovered B&H are closed for 9 days for Passover!

As a Canadian I appreciate how B&H will also display prices in CAD$, and that they offer a reasonably priced all-in-one shipping option that includes import duties (so no hidden extortion fees from UPS or DHL!).

[ Short rant ] However, the frequency and duration that they are closed for religious observations is over the top, and frustrating when you are caught on the wrong side of it.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is more a case of “failed to buy”, rather than “almost bought”. I logged into my B&H account this evening to purchase several hundred dollars of accessories that I had in my cart, but discovered B&H are closed for 9 days for Passover!

As a Canadian I appreciate how B&H will also display prices in CAD$, and that they offer a reasonably priced all-in-one shipping option that includes import duties (so no hidden extortion fees from UPS or DHL!).

[ Short rant ] However, the frequency and duration that they are closed for religious observations is over the top, and frustrating when you are caught on the wrong side of it.

haha!

When I worked in a camera store, we had a rabbi who'd come in and rent a 16mm film projector every month. He told me, "He'd make me Jewish if I bought him a six pack of beer." Rationale was him doing so would give me a reason to take some Jewish days off from work - actually many days off in a year - and he'd verify it with the boss if questioned. He was a character!

I just saw they got my lens in ( Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 S mount for the Z7 II ), but it won't ship until April 5 due to their Passover. Oh well, least I still got the cash for a while.

Real Name
Andrew L

I think the correct response is, "Oy vey!"

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
I was just about to shake hands over a 100mp Fuji with a full set of lenses and a Wista Field camera with a 65 Schneider, when who walks in but Ron Howard and wants me to buy a camera he used on some early film of his. As I start to shake Ron's hand ...
The damned alarm goes off!@!@!!

I guess it's another chance to practice letting go.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
This could also be classified as an almost almost buy, I think...

Update on the above linked "Almost almost buy" post.

It's reverted back to an "Almost buy"!

I'd paid for my stuff, and started the process of waiting. Got the notification that my shipment was dispatched. Kept on waiting.

After two weeks of no further action at the "Shipment Dispatched" tracking status, I contacted the seller.

After some mail to-and-fro, the most likely scenario was that the seller lost my package on the way between the dispatch station and the front door.

Got my money back. So, after all, it was just an "Almost buy".... ?

But I tried! This must be some karmic stuff at work. I'll try to spend that money again, and see how it goes.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I almost bought an E-PM2 that @John King has been enthusing about lately and I've been keeping my eye open for.
One came up on eBay at a good price, so I snapped it up straight away.
It arrived yesterday and it's an E-PL2.
Seller's error not mine, though I should have possibly checked the one photo more thoroughly.
It's going back today.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Damn, damn, damn.
I'd spotted a lovely Zenith M complete with Helios 44 lens yesterday evening and was supposed to be keeping an eye on it.
However, I've been busy all evening trying to sort out some house searches for my sister-in-law.
I'd just finished and went for a shufty, to find it had just gone.
And the price?
£14.50p :doh:?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
As the summer months near, I start feeling the pull of the lighter side of M43. E-M5iii, small primes, etc. My problem is I have a short memory of why I don't have things I've had before. It's just hard to give up the PL glass and the convenience of zooms. The E-M5iii + 14-150ii combo is very compellingly-priced, but I think I'd be underwhelmed with the 14-150ii based on some trials with that lens in the past. So I'll buy nothing this week as I try to remember why I use what I do. Or maybe I just go get a cheap used E-M5ii?

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
No pics; almost bought a Pentax K-3ii. Local shop had one and someone saved me from myself by buying it before I got there. The K-5 I have is fine. I mainly adapt Pentax lenses to the Pen-F anyway...

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
No pics; almost bought a Pentax K-3ii. Local shop had one and someone saved me from myself by buying it before I got there. The K-5 I have is fine. I mainly adapt Pentax lenses to the Pen-F anyway....

Okay, that was a partial lie. I did buy an HLD-2 grip for the E-1; forgot that the battery was a honking big dedicated item, not a holder for the camera battery.

Real Name
Andrew L
No pics; almost bought a Pentax K-3ii. Local shop had one and someone saved me from myself by buying it before I got there. The K-5 I have is fine. I mainly adapt Pentax lenses to the Pen-F anyway....

Okay, that was a partial lie. I did buy an HLD-2 grip for the E-1; forgot that the battery was a honking big dedicated item, not a holder for the camera battery.
Besides, a Pen-F user needs the dial-y KP, anyway ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom