What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
You have enough interest in it, and it sounds like you can afford it.
Then do it.
Because, you will forever be thinking "I should have bought it."

I've "missed the boat" many times.
Example, I passed up the Olympus MC20 on prior sales, then a month later decided I wanted it. Well I had to WAIT till it went on sale again, a year later.

As for the lens, I'm a zoomie. So I would go with the 18-55.
Though I did start with a normal lens on my first SLR. When it is the only lens you have, you MAKE it work.
As for the 35/0.95. How often would you be in a DARK place? If you shoot available light indoors and similar often, then it makes sense. I don't know the IQ of that lens, but sometimes/often, the IQ is sacrificed for the max speed.

The other side of the coin is, you will probalby want a fast indoor lens.
I have the Olympus 17/1.8 for m4/3, and a 35/1.8 for APS-C.
Having the 12-40 on my E-M1 basically all the time had made me into a "zoomie" myself, I guess. Prior to getting that lens I shot a lot with primes. I think I could go back to primes, but I also want to give the Fuji system a "fair shake" as I decide if I want to keep it in addition to my (or maybe eventually to replace?) m43 kit - perhaps limiting it to one MF prime isn't the best way to evaluate it. Besides I already have the 25mm 0.95 m43 Mitakon.

I guess the XF 16-55 2.8 would be the closest comparison to my Oly setup, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of investment right now.

Of the XF primes, the new 28mm 2.8 pancake looks interesting (if I'm comfortable with higher ISOs) as does the 35mm 1.4.

Obviously I know that this isn't such a screaming deal that if I pass it up I'll never have another chance. At the same time I've become convinced that the thought of trying Fuji isn't going to quit nagging me until I give it a shot.

- K

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I think the Mikaton sounds remarkably tempting, and the 18-55 sounds pretty boring. Keep in mind that the X-H1 has to have some sort of fast electronic shutter (I assume, without doing any research), putting that large aperture within more reasonable lighting than just the dead of night or with an ND filter. You could explore the character of the lens's bokeh!

There's nothing wrong with trying a different format and system if it is a decent enough bargain to move it along again if you don't like it. "Extended rentals" like that are great. In my case, I think I found that APS-C doesn't differentiate itself enough from M4/3 to make me happy (having gone the route of a Pentax DSLR instead of Fuji). But as always, YMMV!
Yeah I have no issues at all with the 4/3 sensor nor any real thought that APS-C will represent a big improvement. It's funny, every counter person to whom I mention I'm a Fuji-curious m43 shooter leaps to the larger sensor first, but that really doesn't factor into it at all for me. I guess it's just more "proof" of the perceived inadequacy of the "tiny" 4/3 sensor among the larger photo community.

It's mostly just the ergonomics (aperture ring, dials, etc), the jpg film simulations and the rumored "Fuji magic" that has me wanting to give it a shot. Frankly, I'm kinda hopeful I don't like it and can come back to m43 having learned something.

And here I'd just about talked myself out of the Mitakon and you come along selling it. 😉

- K

BruceRH

Mu-43 Regular
As I have mentioned in another thread I've been considering indulging a recurrent longing to see what the Fuji X-system is all about. Well, today I had a bit of free time so I decided to go to a local camera store just to fondle some Fuji cameras to see if I could narrow down my targets.

As a cheapskate, my typical haunt in this (or any other) camera store is the used gear section. That's normally where I head directly when I enter. But in this case I'd checked their inventory on-line a couple of days ago and so I knew their used X-series inventory was unexciting. Thus, I went directly to the (new) Fuji section of the counter.

Coming in I wanted to put my hands on basically the full range from the X100 to the X-Pro to the X-T series to see if anything clicks. In the back of my mind, I continue to have a thought that what I really want to try is an X-H1, but since that model's been discontinued I didn't think I'd have the chance.

I started with an X100V. It felt okay, but no real sparks. Even though the 35mm equivalent focal length is one I typically like, I couldn't shake the feeling that restricting myself to that single angle of view would be something that would bother me (I know they make wide and tele converters, but to me those kill the major advantage of the X100 which is size and simplicity). Maybe if I come across a -T or -F model at a great price, but I determined the X100 line wasn't going to be my main focus.

Next I picked up an X-E4, but again I didn't feel it tugging at my wallet. It's a nice camera, but the lack of IBIS is a bit of a deal breaker, since I've been spoiled for years by Olympus's implementation of that system.

Next I looked at the X-Pro3. One look at the price tag and I knew I wasn't going to walk out of the store with this camera, but perhaps an affordable X-Pro2 will pop up some day. So I was focusing on the ergonomics and features. I'll admit that the hybrid OVF, which is one of the main selling points of the X-Pro, didn't really do much for me. I have no experience with a film rangefinder, so perhaps that's part of the reason. I've also grown accustomed to an EVF that provides a full, live image preview. I guess I could see how having the extra context outside the frame could be useful in some circumstances, but I don't think it's something I'd ever really find myself using. Beyond that, the overall ergonomics of the X-Pro weren't something that felt comfortable. It's just a little too bulky, I guess.

Next up was the X-T4. This one reminded me a bit of my old E-M5. It was comfortable, but not "just right". And again, I'm not going to pay full retail for the X-T4 (or any camera, for that matter) and its predecessors lack IBIS.

As I was handing the X-T back to the salesperson I lamented the fact that the X-H1 had been discontinued and they didn't have any remaining stock. He mildly (or perhaps just politely) agreed, probably at this point lamenting the fact that it looked like I was going to be leaving the store without making a purchase. I thanked him for his time and said something about having to think it over.

I turned to head toward the door, but after taking a couple steps I remembered that I hadn't checked the used cases on my way in. I walked past the Canikon inventory until I got to the m43 section. Nothing jumped out at me there and I moved over to the Fuji gear and I see a couple of X-Pros (still with price tags that didn't pique my interest) and then I spotted an X-H1. Turns out it had only recently come into the shop and the sales agent I was dealing with previously wasn't even aware of its existence.

I asked to look at it and immediately it felt "right" in my hand. The large grip is very reminiscent of my E-M1, which fits my hand better than any other camera I've held. The X-H1 felt natural in my hand, similar to how the E-M1 had felt the first time I picked it up. I guess I have a type.

I played around a bit with the camera and although the menus were foreign to me, I was able to navigate them okay. I really liked having the aperture ring on the lens like it is on the MF and legacy lenses I love to shoot with. I looked at the used lens selection, but all of the Fuji primes they had were either too wide or too long to be the only lens I had on hand. They had a couple of "kit" 18-55s and a Mitakon 35mm f/0.95. I tried each and again, not wanting to limit myself to a single focal length, I settled on the 18-55, which, if the reviews I've read are to be believed, is unexciting but capable.

At this point, I knew I was leaving the store with that camera. I started doing the little dance of "is that your best price?" and "can you do anything if I buy both the lens and camera?". He did the thing where he needed to go "check with someone in the back", but knowing that the camera had just come in I was prepared to pay the (reasonable, I think) ticket price. At this point I reach for my wallet, and discover that I had somehow left home without it. Argh!

Sales guy comes back after 15-20 seconds and explains that sadly they have no wiggle room on that item. At this point I explain that I've forgotten my wallet, but ask if I can pay via PayPal or Google Pay or just with my credit card number. Unfortunately, none of those are viable options. The store is set to close in about a half-hour and it's at least that far from my house, so there's no way I can retrieve my card and return before they're closed. He agreed to hold it for me for 24 hours.

TL/DR: I almost bought a used X-H1 kit (but for a bit of forgetfulness with my wallet), and may do so tomorrow.

The upside is that I get some time to think on it, I guess. Do I really need (want) to jump into a new system? Is the X-H1 the right choice? Is the price (roughly US$1K out the door for the body and lens) right? Which lens should I choose? (As I think back on it that Mitakon lens felt really nice and perhaps a 50mm equivalent lens could work for an only lens, at least for a while).

What do you guys think?

- K
Just a quick look on FredMiranda B&S and an X-H1 and 18-55 is probably going to be somew between $900 and $1100 depending on your negotiating skills and how motivated the seller is so your $1000 sounds reasonable.

As for Fuji, I’ve tried an X-E3, an X100F and now an X100V. All purchased used. I keep using and adding to my MFT gear. Fuji is an itch that you probably need to scratch but MFT has so much going for it that it is hard to beat. I like the X100V but I prefer using the Pen-F. The X100V is mainly there for a specific use, people in social situations where a flash can be helpful. I picked up a used Olympus EM10iv recently and with the built in flash, 20mp sensor, IBIS…well, I‘m glad I got a great deal on the X100V because it may be the odd man out again. I really like the Fuji styling/ergonomics but again, I really like the features available in the MFT world, particularly with Olympus.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
As I have mentioned in another thread I've been considering indulging a recurrent longing to see what the Fuji X-system is all about. Well, today I had a bit of free time so I decided to go to a local camera store just to fondle some Fuji cameras to see if I could narrow down my targets.

As a cheapskate, my typical haunt in this (or any other) camera store is the used gear section. That's normally where I head directly when I enter. But in this case I'd checked their inventory on-line a couple of days ago and so I knew their used X-series inventory was unexciting. Thus, I went directly to the (new) Fuji section of the counter.

Coming in I wanted to put my hands on basically the full range from the X100 to the X-Pro to the X-T series to see if anything clicks. In the back of my mind, I continue to have a thought that what I really want to try is an X-H1, but since that model's been discontinued I didn't think I'd have the chance.

I started with an X100V. It felt okay, but no real sparks. Even though the 35mm equivalent focal length is one I typically like, I couldn't shake the feeling that restricting myself to that single angle of view would be something that would bother me (I know they make wide and tele converters, but to me those kill the major advantage of the X100 which is size and simplicity). Maybe if I come across a -T or -F model at a great price, but I determined the X100 line wasn't going to be my main focus.

Next I picked up an X-E4, but again I didn't feel it tugging at my wallet. It's a nice camera, but the lack of IBIS is a bit of a deal breaker, since I've been spoiled for years by Olympus's implementation of that system.

Next I looked at the X-Pro3. One look at the price tag and I knew I wasn't going to walk out of the store with this camera, but perhaps an affordable X-Pro2 will pop up some day. So I was focusing on the ergonomics and features. I'll admit that the hybrid OVF, which is one of the main selling points of the X-Pro, didn't really do much for me. I have no experience with a film rangefinder, so perhaps that's part of the reason. I've also grown accustomed to an EVF that provides a full, live image preview. I guess I could see how having the extra context outside the frame could be useful in some circumstances, but I don't think it's something I'd ever really find myself using. Beyond that, the overall ergonomics of the X-Pro weren't something that felt comfortable. It's just a little too bulky, I guess.

Next up was the X-T4. This one reminded me a bit of my old E-M5. It was comfortable, but not "just right". And again, I'm not going to pay full retail for the X-T4 (or any camera, for that matter) and its predecessors lack IBIS.

As I was handing the X-T back to the salesperson I lamented the fact that the X-H1 had been discontinued and they didn't have any remaining stock. He mildly (or perhaps just politely) agreed, probably at this point lamenting the fact that it looked like I was going to be leaving the store without making a purchase. I thanked him for his time and said something about having to think it over.

I turned to head toward the door, but after taking a couple steps I remembered that I hadn't checked the used cases on my way in. I walked past the Canikon inventory until I got to the m43 section. Nothing jumped out at me there and I moved over to the Fuji gear and I see a couple of X-Pros (still with price tags that didn't pique my interest) and then I spotted an X-H1. Turns out it had only recently come into the shop and the sales agent I was dealing with previously wasn't even aware of its existence.

I asked to look at it and immediately it felt "right" in my hand. The large grip is very reminiscent of my E-M1, which fits my hand better than any other camera I've held. The X-H1 felt natural in my hand, similar to how the E-M1 had felt the first time I picked it up. I guess I have a type.

I played around a bit with the camera and although the menus were foreign to me, I was able to navigate them okay. I really liked having the aperture ring on the lens like it is on the MF and legacy lenses I love to shoot with. I looked at the used lens selection, but all of the Fuji primes they had were either too wide or too long to be the only lens I had on hand. They had a couple of "kit" 18-55s and a Mitakon 35mm f/0.95. I tried each and again, not wanting to limit myself to a single focal length, I settled on the 18-55, which, if the reviews I've read are to be believed, is unexciting but capable.

At this point, I knew I was leaving the store with that camera. I started doing the little dance of "is that your best price?" and "can you do anything if I buy both the lens and camera?". He did the thing where he needed to go "check with someone in the back", but knowing that the camera had just come in I was prepared to pay the (reasonable, I think) ticket price. At this point I reach for my wallet, and discover that I had somehow left home without it. Argh!

Sales guy comes back after 15-20 seconds and explains that sadly they have no wiggle room on that item. At this point I explain that I've forgotten my wallet, but ask if I can pay via PayPal or Google Pay or just with my credit card number. Unfortunately, none of those are viable options. The store is set to close in about a half-hour and it's at least that far from my house, so there's no way I can retrieve my card and return before they're closed. He agreed to hold it for me for 24 hours.

TL/DR: I almost bought a used X-H1 kit (but for a bit of forgetfulness with my wallet), and may do so tomorrow.

The upside is that I get some time to think on it, I guess. Do I really need (want) to jump into a new system? Is the X-H1 the right choice? Is the price (roughly US$1K out the door for the body and lens) right? Which lens should I choose? (As I think back on it that Mitakon lens felt really nice and perhaps a 50mm equivalent lens could work for an only lens, at least for a while).

What do you guys think?

- K

Buying discounted (used/returned/demo) with a warranty isn't much of a financial risk, so long as the price is right.

If you don't get on with it, then you have the inconvenience of selling it on. Sounds like buying it is the only way to scratch that pesky Fuji itch.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus 14-150 ii as a waterproof lens for my upcoming trip to Costa Rica since I'm going at the height of the rainy season. I tried to buy from here, but nobody would be able to ship in time, so I ordered from MPB. It arrived Saturday, but at 14-20mm it won't focus beyond a couple of meters, so back it goes. I guess this is the cosmos telling me I don't need a new lens. Now all I have to do is get MPB to answer their phones or emails.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Olympus 14-150 ii as a waterproof lens for my upcoming trip to Costa Rica since I'm going at the height of the rainy season. I tried to buy from here, but nobody would be able to ship in time, so I ordered from MPB. It arrived Saturday, but at 14-20mm it won't focus beyond a couple of meters, so back it goes. I guess this is the cosmos telling me I don't need a new lens. Now all I have to do is get MPB to answer their phones or emails.
What a bummer. Not sure what your plans are in CR, but I was really glad to have a weather resistant long zoom. How soon do you leave?

- K

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
What a bummer. Not sure what your plans are in CR, but I was really glad to have a weather resistant long zoom. How soon do you leave?

- K
Oh, only outdoorsy stuff most of the time - nothing I would want a waterproof setup or a long zoom for :)

I'm leaving a little less than 3 weeks from now. I can't get through to MPB and I'm pretty ticked about it.

edit: MPB finally got back to me. It seems like they will be willing to do a return instead of their typical repair/exchange. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I haven't exactly almost bought it, but I'm weirdly intrigued by this "vintage camera stabilizer" that was posted recently for sale locally.

237052727_10158543733288022_8609411968146994337_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've just got so many questions. What vintage? How big and what type of camera was this thing designed for? Would it actually serve the stated purpose? How silly would one look with something like a GM5 or EM2 or maybe a GoPro mounted on this thing?

- K

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I haven't exactly almost bought it, but I'm weirdly intrigued by this "vintage camera stabilizer" that was posted recently for sale locally.

View attachment 904081

I've just got so many questions. What vintage? How big and what type of camera was this thing designed for? Would it actually serve the stated purpose? How silly would one look with something like a GM5 or EM2 or maybe a GoPro mounted on this thing?

- K

That's a nice bit of shagpile.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...

View attachment 904081

- K
It's a shoulder brace, for use with a cable release. Possibly the camera would have been fitted with a motor drive (3-5 fps) and bulk film back (up to around 250 shots, 35mm).

Gorgeous, hand made thing.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thankfully, B&H Photo sold out of the Sekonic C-800 color temperature meters. I got an old C-500 but I don't trust it given its age and it doesn't read Magenta/Green either. I think the white dome on it has yellowed over time throwing it off.

I want to try comparing old blue flash bulbs to my electronic flash units to see if the color spectrum is more true or flat with the bulbs. Electronic always seems cold and blusih to me where some old flash bulbs seemed warmer, especially flesh tones. Need to find some old M6B or FP26B flash bulbs on eBay too.

Someday..... ⏳

Quite happy I lost the auction for the Voigtlander 25mm f.95

would love to have this lens the auction started at 99$ so I bid BEFORE seeing the photos…. very well used is all I can say…

Final price was 219.20.

I think it will be more meaningful to save for a pristine one.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

View attachment 904081

- K
How perfectly steampunk! I was going to attend a steampunk festival this weekend, but Covid restrictions have us locked down again. That gadget would be about perfect for it.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A used Domke F-6 in RuggedWear. Someone else snapped it up while I was trying to come up with a reason/justification/excuse for buying yet another camera bag and what would have been my third F-6.

Last edited:

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
I almost bought a Sony A7 riii with 35mm and 85mm lenses. I thought about a macro lens as well, but put it on my “to almost buy soon” list.

I’ve almost been considering some bigger strobes, but I’m not ready to commit to putting off buying them.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I almost bought a Sony A7 riii with 35mm and 85mm lenses. I thought about a macro lens as well, but put it on my “to almost buy soon” list.

I’ve almost been considering some bigger strobes, but I’m not ready to commit to putting off buying them.
I've been nearly buying some AD200PROs for about three weeks now.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I almost bought a couple those more time than I can count. Lately I've been almost buying two AD100's and an AD300. That would be a great kit to nearly have.

I caved yesterday. Used a £100 voucher that I've been sitting on for three months. 1x AD200PRO remaining in the 'almost' category - although if I acquire a second, something will have to go. I do a bit of paid work but this is mostly a hobby.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom