What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I did almost put a preorder on the 8-25/4 lens.
But some things got me thinking about it. And also the fact that it comes just when we go for summer holiday to Greece.
So, I went with 8-18/2.8-4 which is already here and seems better suited for me.

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Had a Sony A7 FF camera body in my shopping cart to use with several of my m42 vintage lenses. I've wondered if, and how much I've been missing with my m4/3 sensor size cameras. In the end though the cost just couldn't commit me to click the "buy" button for an experiment.

Web-Betty

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Melissa
An EM1iii. But then reason prevailed. What I really need is the 40-150/2.8, not a new body. My EM1ii is still fantastic.

Real Name
Chris
I had the 10-25/4 in the cart a few times. I am heading to Yellowstone in 10 weeks and think it would be great but do I really need it?????

I meant to say Olympus 8-25.

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Maybe you mean the 8-25 f/4?

It would probably be an ideal companion to a 12-100. I will get the 8-25 if the optics are as good as my 12-100.

;)

Yes. Thanks. I did mean 8-25. Olympus has a potential outdoor vacation lens winner here.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Yes. Thanks. I did mean 8-25. Olympus has a potential outdoor vacation lens winner here.
;)

I do use my f/4 12-100 indoors with my E-M1 MkII all the time.

e.g.
M276636.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course, one could always use it outdoors as well ... :rofl: .

Real Name
Chris
;)

I do use my f/4 12-100 indoors with my E-M1 MkII all the time.

e.g.
View attachment 893607

Of course, one could always use it outdoors as well ... :rofl: .

Indoors may subject it to cat dandruff so the sealing would be critical.

Seriously though, while at Yosemite the other week, I found that my 12-35 was just not wide enough for some of the scenes and waterfalls. There were also two areas where the waterfall mist (mist trail especially) was like rain. An Olympus IPX1 rated 8-25/f4 would have been perfect. I have picked up a PL8-18 for my upcoming trip to Yellowstone but still have my eye on that 8-25.

If I had one, I might even use it indoors :) at some point.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
I am somewhat proud to say that I did not succumb to GAS in the last several months. I was about to buy a 75-300 on the recent outlet sale, but held off at the last minute. I was tempted, but thinking about saving up for the 8-25 f4 Pro. Just don't have a pressing reason to get either lens. Man, it's stressful not giving in to GAS! :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On the Olympus outlet sale
- HLD9 grip/battery holder (I kept dragging my foot then when I went back to order it, out of stock. Then as it turns out, I can't use the grip and my L-bracket at the same time. So maybe not getting it was for the better.)
- 14-150 (I kept dragging my feet, since I have the Panasonic-Lumix 12-60 that I like, then the sale ended)

I did get the MC20, which I missed on the prior outlet sale.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
A new GX9 silver body [to replace my perfectly good GX85] from an authorized dealer for $500 AUD....or approx. $374 USD.
After much internal anguish I decided to pass and was relived to see, on ebay, that all seven copies for sale vanished quickly!
Looks like the GX9 stock is getting shifted......with a GX10 in the wings?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Attempted to buy the Olympus 50-200 SWD version lens for sale on the UK LCE website.
I clicked the link, asking for a possible trade-in but the lens sold before they got back to me.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
So far, nothing as per usual, but I have the Mindshift Backlight 26 in a shopping cart. Have been oogling that one for a couple of years and its on a summer discount putting it at about $199ish, down from 270ish.

I am also seriously tempted by the G100, which currently is at $499,- including that tripod/grip thingy. I dont need it by a long shot and am somewhat skint, but, boy, am I seriously tempted by it.

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In search of more resolution, I almost bought a Sony a7R iii. Decided to learn to get better at panorama stitching instead, and buy a license of PTGui Pro.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
As I have mentioned in another thread I've been considering indulging a recurrent longing to see what the Fuji X-system is all about. Well, today I had a bit of free time so I decided to go to a local camera store just to fondle some Fuji cameras to see if I could narrow down my targets.

As a cheapskate, my typical haunt in this (or any other) camera store is the used gear section. That's normally where I head directly when I enter. But in this case I'd checked their inventory on-line a couple of days ago and so I knew their used X-series inventory was unexciting. Thus, I went directly to the (new) Fuji section of the counter.

Coming in I wanted to put my hands on basically the full range from the X100 to the X-Pro to the X-T series to see if anything clicks. In the back of my mind, I continue to have a thought that what I really want to try is an X-H1, but since that model's been discontinued I didn't think I'd have the chance.

I started with an X100V. It felt okay, but no real sparks. Even though the 35mm equivalent focal length is one I typically like, I couldn't shake the feeling that restricting myself to that single angle of view would be something that would bother me (I know they make wide and tele converters, but to me those kill the major advantage of the X100 which is size and simplicity). Maybe if I come across a -T or -F model at a great price, but I determined the X100 line wasn't going to be my main focus.

Next I picked up an X-E4, but again I didn't feel it tugging at my wallet. It's a nice camera, but the lack of IBIS is a bit of a deal breaker, since I've been spoiled for years by Olympus's implementation of that system.

Next I looked at the X-Pro3. One look at the price tag and I knew I wasn't going to walk out of the store with this camera, but perhaps an affordable X-Pro2 will pop up some day. So I was focusing on the ergonomics and features. I'll admit that the hybrid OVF, which is one of the main selling points of the X-Pro, didn't really do much for me. I have no experience with a film rangefinder, so perhaps that's part of the reason. I've also grown accustomed to an EVF that provides a full, live image preview. I guess I could see how having the extra context outside the frame could be useful in some circumstances, but I don't think it's something I'd ever really find myself using. Beyond that, the overall ergonomics of the X-Pro weren't something that felt comfortable. It's just a little too bulky, I guess.

Next up was the X-T4. This one reminded me a bit of my old E-M5. It was comfortable, but not "just right". And again, I'm not going to pay full retail for the X-T4 (or any camera, for that matter) and its predecessors lack IBIS.

As I was handing the X-T back to the salesperson I lamented the fact that the X-H1 had been discontinued and they didn't have any remaining stock. He mildly (or perhaps just politely) agreed, probably at this point lamenting the fact that it looked like I was going to be leaving the store without making a purchase. I thanked him for his time and said something about having to think it over.

I turned to head toward the door, but after taking a couple steps I remembered that I hadn't checked the used cases on my way in. I walked past the Canikon inventory until I got to the m43 section. Nothing jumped out at me there and I moved over to the Fuji gear and I see a couple of X-Pros (still with price tags that didn't pique my interest) and then I spotted an X-H1. Turns out it had only recently come into the shop and the sales agent I was dealing with previously wasn't even aware of its existence.

I asked to look at it and immediately it felt "right" in my hand. The large grip is very reminiscent of my E-M1, which fits my hand better than any other camera I've held. The X-H1 felt natural in my hand, similar to how the E-M1 had felt the first time I picked it up. I guess I have a type.

I played around a bit with the camera and although the menus were foreign to me, I was able to navigate them okay. I really liked having the aperture ring on the lens like it is on the MF and legacy lenses I love to shoot with. I looked at the used lens selection, but all of the Fuji primes they had were either too wide or too long to be the only lens I had on hand. They had a couple of "kit" 18-55s and a Mitakon 35mm f/0.95. I tried each and again, not wanting to limit myself to a single focal length, I settled on the 18-55, which, if the reviews I've read are to be believed, is unexciting but capable.

At this point, I knew I was leaving the store with that camera. I started doing the little dance of "is that your best price?" and "can you do anything if I buy both the lens and camera?". He did the thing where he needed to go "check with someone in the back", but knowing that the camera had just come in I was prepared to pay the (reasonable, I think) ticket price. At this point I reach for my wallet, and discover that I had somehow left home without it. Argh!

Sales guy comes back after 15-20 seconds and explains that sadly they have no wiggle room on that item. At this point I explain that I've forgotten my wallet, but ask if I can pay via PayPal or Google Pay or just with my credit card number. Unfortunately, none of those are viable options. The store is set to close in about a half-hour and it's at least that far from my house, so there's no way I can retrieve my card and return before they're closed. He agreed to hold it for me for 24 hours.

TL/DR: I almost bought a used X-H1 kit (but for a bit of forgetfulness with my wallet), and may do so tomorrow.

The upside is that I get some time to think on it, I guess. Do I really need (want) to jump into a new system? Is the X-H1 the right choice? Is the price (roughly US$1K out the door for the body and lens) right? Which lens should I choose? (As I think back on it that Mitakon lens felt really nice and perhaps a 50mm equivalent lens could work for an only lens, at least for a while).

What do you guys think?

- K

Last edited:
Real Name
Butch Oakey
I had the 10-25/4 in the cart a few times. I am heading to Yellowstone in 10 weeks and think it would be great but do I really need it?????

I meant to say Olympus 8-25.
Went to Yellowstone in 1999 before my M43 days and used a Nikon with a 24-85mm lens and did fine. There are surely places in there where the 10mm would be required but I never saw anything that needed it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Went to Yellowstone in 1999 before my M43 days and used a Nikon with a 24-85mm lens and did fine. There are surely places in there where the 10mm would be required but I never saw anything that needed it.

Morning Glory pool.
My 24 could not get the entire pool.
Those things are wide and you are close, a bad combination.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As I have mentioned in another thread I've been considering indulging a recurrent longing to see what the Fuji X-system is all about. Well, today I had a bit of free time so I decided to go to a local camera store just to fondle some Fuji cameras to see if I could narrow down my targets.

As a cheapskate, my typical haunt in this (or any other) camera store is the used gear section. That's normally where I head directly when I enter. But in this case I'd checked their inventory on-line a couple of days ago and so I knew their used X-series inventory was unexciting. Thus, I went directly to the (new) Fuji section of the counter.

Coming in I wanted to put my hands on basically the full range from the X100 to the X-Pro to the X-T series to see if anything clicks. In the back of my mind, I continue to have a thought that what I really want to try is an X-H1, but since that model's been discontinued I didn't think I'd have the chance.

I started with an X100V. It felt okay, but no real sparks. Even though the 35mm equivalent focal length is one I typically like, I couldn't shake the feeling that restricting myself to that single angle of view would be something that would bother me (I know they make wide and tele converters, but to me those kill the major advantage of the X100 which is size and simplicity). Maybe if I come across a -T or -F model at a great price, but I determined the X100 line wasn't going to be my main focus.

Next I picked up an X-E4, but again I didn't feel it tugging at my wallet. It's a nice camera, but the lack of IBIS is a bit of a deal breaker, since I've been spoiled for years by Olympus's implementation of that system.

Next I looked at the X-Pro3. One look at the price tag and I knew I wasn't going to walk out of the store with this camera, but perhaps an affordable X-Pro2 will pop up some day. So I was focusing on the ergonomics and features. I'll admit that the hybrid OVF, which is one of the main selling points of the X-Pro, didn't really do much for me. I have no experience with a film rangefinder, so perhaps that's part of the reason. I've also grown accustomed to an EVF that provides a full, live image preview. I guess I could see how having the extra context outside the frame could be useful in some circumstances, but I don't think it's something I'd ever really find myself using. Beyond that, the overall ergonomics of the X-Pro weren't something that felt comfortable. It's just a little too bulky, I guess.

Next up was the X-T4. This one reminded me a bit of my old E-M5. It was comfortable, but not "just right". And again, I'm not going to pay full retail for the X-T4 (or any camera, for that matter) and its predecessors lack IBIS.

As I was handing the X-T back to the salesperson I lamented the fact that the X-H1 had been discontinued and they didn't have any remaining stock. He mildly (or perhaps just politely) agreed, probably at this point lamenting the fact that it looked like I was going to be leaving the store without making a purchase. I thanked him for his time and said something about having to think it over.

I turned to head toward the door, but after taking a couple steps I remembered that I hadn't checked the used cases on my way in. I walked past the Canikon inventory until I got to the m43 section. Nothing jumped out at me there and I moved over to the Fuji gear and I see a couple of X-Pros (still with price tags that didn't pique my interest) and then I spotted an X-H1. Turns out it had only recently come into the shop and the sales agent I was dealing with previously wasn't even aware of its existence.

I asked to look at it and immediately it felt "right" in my hand. The large grip is very reminiscent of my E-M1, which fits my hand better than any other camera I've held. The X-H1 felt natural in my hand, similar to how the E-M1 had felt the first time I picked it up. I guess I have a type.

I played around a bit with the camera and although the menus were foreign to me, I was able to navigate them okay. I really liked having the aperture ring on the lens like it is on the MF and legacy lenses I love to shoot with. I looked at the used lens selection, but all of the Fuji primes they had were either too wide or too long to be the only lens I had on hand. They had a couple of "kit" 18-55s and a Mitakon 35mm f/0.95. I tried each and again, not wanting to limit myself to a single focal length, I settled on the 18-55, which, if the reviews I've read are to be believed, is unexciting but capable.

At this point, I knew I was leaving the store with that camera. I started doing the little dance of "is that your best price?" and "can you do anything if I buy both the lens and camera?". He did the thing where he needed to go "check with someone in the back", but knowing that the camera had just come in I was prepared to pay the (reasonable, I think) ticket price. At this point I reach for my wallet, and discover that I had somehow left home without it. Argh!

Sales guy comes back after 15-20 seconds and explains that sadly they have no wiggle room on that item. At this point I explain that I've forgotten my wallet, but ask if I can pay via PayPal or Google Pay or just with my credit card number. Unfortunately, none of those are viable options. The store is set to close in about a half-hour and it's at least that far from my house, so there's no way I can retrieve my card and return before they're closed. He agreed to hold it for me for 24 hours.

TL/DR: I almost bought a used X-H1 kit (but for a bit of forgetfulness with my wallet), and may do so tomorrow.

The upside is that I get some time to think on it, I guess. Do I really need (want) to jump into a new system? Is the X-H1 the right choice? Is the price (roughly US$1K out the door for the body and lens) right? Which lens should I choose? (As I think back on it that Mitakon lens felt really nice and perhaps a 50mm equivalent lens could work for an only lens, at least for a while).

What do you guys think?

- K

You have enough interest in it, and it sounds like you can afford it.
Then do it.
Because, you will forever be thinking "I should have bought it."

I've "missed the boat" many times.
Example, I passed up the Olympus MC20 on prior sales, then a month later decided I wanted it. Well I had to WAIT till it went on sale again, a year later.

As for the lens, I'm a zoomie. So I would go with the 18-55.
Though I did start with a normal lens on my first SLR. When it is the only lens you have, you MAKE it work.
As for the 35/0.95. How often would you be in a DARK place? If you shoot available light indoors and similar often, then it makes sense. I don't know the IQ of that lens, but sometimes/often, the IQ is sacrificed for the max speed.

The other side of the coin is, you will probalby want a fast indoor lens.
I have the Olympus 17/1.8 for m4/3, and a 35/1.8 for APS-C.

Real Name
Andrew L
What do you guys think?
I think the Mikaton sounds remarkably tempting, and the 18-55 sounds pretty boring. Keep in mind that the X-H1 has to have some sort of fast electronic shutter (I assume, without doing any research), putting that large aperture within more reasonable lighting than just the dead of night or with an ND filter. You could explore the character of the lens's bokeh!

There's nothing wrong with trying a different format and system if it is a decent enough bargain to move it along again if you don't like it. "Extended rentals" like that are great. In my case, I think I found that APS-C doesn't differentiate itself enough from M4/3 to make me happy (having gone the route of a Pentax DSLR instead of Fuji). But as always, YMMV!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom