What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

Vermont3133

We Both Love M43
Well going back a couple of weeks...
An as new Oly 12-45 for less than half retail. [They don't seem to sell too well?]
Iv'e already got that focal range covered as well, or better, with Fuji gear.
But I still see it as a nice fit on my GX85.......maybe another time [of greater weakness]
To console myself I got a discounted PL15 which should be an even nicer fit!

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I'm not sure I should claim "almost" status yet... For no good reason I've been eyeballing M42 200mm lenses. Do NOT need one. But they're cheeeeeeep.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I keep looking at two Lumix 1" travel zooms, the ZS100 and ZS200.

I have exactly one application for such a camera, which is a nearby music festival that does not allow ILCs to be brought in. Musical perfrmances has always been a large portion of my shooting. A fixed zoom that reaches 200mm equivalent would do the job, and both models do that. I might find other uses since either can fit into a shirt pocket or a small belt-mounted bag (I currently use a fanny pack for my E-M10).

The bugaboo for me is price. The ZS100 is $400, the ZS200 $600 (and The $1000+ RX100 mkVI or VII are out of the question). The 200 has some real improvements, higher EVF magnification, actual front and thumb grips and some other stuff but has a 1/2 stop slower lens that zooms out more than I really need. IQ of either is a serious step down from my E-M10 because long range (10X and 15x) zooms are invariably soft, but still better than my phone.

At $600 I think "that's over halfway to an EM5 mkIII body!" :whistling: and "I only paid $500 for my E-M10 kit!" ;) At $400 I go back and forth with "do I really need this camera?", "why save $200 but be unsatisfied?" and "boy, wouldn't an EM-5 be really cool!" :roflmao:

So far the pandemic has kept me from pulling the trigger, but the festival just announced it's on for this year and has a killer lineup. I'm teetering. Now that I can actually get to my local dealer and get one in my hands again I'm likely to succumb.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I keep looking at two Lumix 1" travel zooms, the ZS100 and ZS200.

I have exactly one application for such a camera, which is a nearby music festival that does not allow ILCs to be brought in. Musical perfrmances has always been a large portion of my shooting. A fixed zoom that reaches 200mm equivalent would do the job, and both models do that. I might find other uses since either can fit into a shirt pocket or a small belt-mounted bag (I currently use a fanny pack for my E-M10).

The bugaboo for me is price. The ZS100 is $400, the ZS200 $600 (and The $1000+ RX100 mkVI or VII are out of the question). The 200 has some real improvements, higher EVF magnification, actual front and thumb grips and some other stuff but has a 1/2 stop slower lens that zooms out more than I really need. IQ of either is a serious step down from my E-M10 because long range (10X and 15x) zooms are invariably soft, but still better than my phone.

At $600 I think "that's over halfway to an EM5 mkIII body!" :whistling: and "I only paid $500 for my E-M10 kit!" ;) At $400 I go back and forth with "do I really need this camera?", "why save $200 but be unsatisfied?" and "boy, wouldn't an EM-5 be really cool!" :roflmao:

So far the pandemic has kept me from pulling the trigger, but the festival just announced it's on for this year and has a killer lineup. I'm teetering. Now that I can actually get to my local dealer and get one in my hands again I'm likely to succumb.

I had one the ZS100. I now own the Sony RX100 7. Yea, the price is steep but it's a good camera. Not sure I'd take it to a place crowded with drunks though.

But it is a great travel camera.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I keep looking at the Rokinon 8mm. For...not Olympus (forgive me). I have the Oly 8, which is why I don't "need" the Rokinon. Which brings the circular logic of the 200/3.5 (mentioned as "almost" above) being cheap back into play.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Last week I was considering a Fuji xs10 then decided “go big or go home” and ordered a Nikon z5 + 24-200.

I cancelled it the next day. I have no reason or right to drop $2,000 on a camera right now, so I headed out with my g85 + pl12-60 which still takes great photos

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I almost bought an Oly 100-400 TWICE! 2 authorised UK dealers were showing stock, but on both occasions I was tied up with work projects and by the time I had the chance to order they'd both sold out.

I guess I should just pick a dealer and pre-order.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
There's a hyper-market near me with a small electronics section in-store. By some miracle it has a 100-400 on its shelf, available for about €1100. The store is not currently open under French COVID restrictions, but when it does open up I'm going straight back in there, to gaze upon the lens and dream. I won't touch it, and I am certainly not going to buy it, but it's spring, and we know what a man's thoughts turn to in spring.

In other news I went to sleep last night hoping an eBay auction for a P12-60 would end in my favour. I had bid €106 (that's my €100 max limit plus a little insurance)) and the bloody thing went for €108 while I was in the land of nod. Sigh. Now that would have been a good buy.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
There's a hyper-market near me with a small electronics section in-store. By some miracle it has a 100-400 on its shelf, available for about €1100. The store is not currently open under French COVID restrictions, but when it does open up I'm going straight back in there, to gaze upon the lens and dream. I won't touch it, and I am certainly not going to buy it, but it's spring, and we know what a man's thoughts turn to in spring.

In other news I went to sleep last night hoping an eBay auction for a P12-60 would end in my favour. I had bid €106 (that's my €100 max limit plus a little insurance)) and the bloody thing went for €108 while I was in the land of nod. Sigh. Now that would have been a good buy.
:shakehead:

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I almost bought a GM5, missed out by a some few minutes...:(

And a converterkit - 3CON-P01, untill I actually checked them out and found that they where not threaded but bayonet fits for a few old kit zooms. I liked the idea, though.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
That's what I've read, and that the (less expensive) nFD 50/1.4 is at least as good.
TBH, I liked my OM 50/2 much better, which is why I dropped the FL (also, the f/1.2 was no different in exposure than 1.4, just softer). But my Sigma 56/1.4 AF spanks the FL and is also slightly better than the OM50/2 macro (and brighter). If I was gifted a 50/2 macro, though, I might keep it, but I don't think I'd purposely buy it again. I do keep a takumar 50/1.4 for when I want "character" from an MF lens :)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Desperate for a P20mm. Still too slow for focusing.
Really want an O75mm. Very expensive. Why does the black version cost £100 more than the silver version? Why does the silver lens hood cost more than the black version? do I go to a Lumix 30min consultaion, where the emphasis is on rhe S full frame models and L-lenses. Maybe a new m43 body or lens will be out by July?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
do I go to a Lumix 30min consultaion, where the emphasis is on rhe S full frame models and L-lenses. Maybe a new m43 body or lens will be out by July?
Somehow Panasonic has it in their database that I own an S1, which is incorrect. I'm afraid to have them remove me from the list because the same incompetence that put me on it will probably remove me from the G9 list, which is correct. Not that they have much content for the G9 anymore. I think the last one I attended was @Mike Peters presentation.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom