What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

Well going back a couple of weeks...
An as new Oly 12-45 for less than half retail. [They don't seem to sell too well?]
Iv'e already got that focal range covered as well, or better, with Fuji gear.
But I still see it as a nice fit on my GX85.......maybe another time [of greater weakness]
To console myself I got a discounted PL15 which should be an even nicer fit!

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I'm not sure I should claim "almost" status yet... For no good reason I've been eyeballing M42 200mm lenses. Do NOT need one. But they're cheeeeeeep.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I keep looking at two Lumix 1" travel zooms, the ZS100 and ZS200.

I have exactly one application for such a camera, which is a nearby music festival that does not allow ILCs to be brought in. Musical perfrmances has always been a large portion of my shooting. A fixed zoom that reaches 200mm equivalent would do the job, and both models do that. I might find other uses since either can fit into a shirt pocket or a small belt-mounted bag (I currently use a fanny pack for my E-M10).

The bugaboo for me is price. The ZS100 is $400, the ZS200 $600 (and The $1000+ RX100 mkVI or VII are out of the question). The 200 has some real improvements, higher EVF magnification, actual front and thumb grips and some other stuff but has a 1/2 stop slower lens that zooms out more than I really need. IQ of either is a serious step down from my E-M10 because long range (10X and 15x) zooms are invariably soft, but still better than my phone.

At $600 I think "that's over halfway to an EM5 mkIII body!" :whistling: and "I only paid $500 for my E-M10 kit!" ;) At $400 I go back and forth with "do I really need this camera?", "why save $200 but be unsatisfied?" and "boy, wouldn't an EM-5 be really cool!" :roflmao:

So far the pandemic has kept me from pulling the trigger, but the festival just announced it's on for this year and has a killer lineup. I'm teetering. Now that I can actually get to my local dealer and get one in my hands again I'm likely to succumb.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I keep looking at two Lumix 1" travel zooms, the ZS100 and ZS200.

I have exactly one application for such a camera, which is a nearby music festival that does not allow ILCs to be brought in. Musical perfrmances has always been a large portion of my shooting. A fixed zoom that reaches 200mm equivalent would do the job, and both models do that. I might find other uses since either can fit into a shirt pocket or a small belt-mounted bag (I currently use a fanny pack for my E-M10).

The bugaboo for me is price. The ZS100 is $400, the ZS200 $600 (and The $1000+ RX100 mkVI or VII are out of the question). The 200 has some real improvements, higher EVF magnification, actual front and thumb grips and some other stuff but has a 1/2 stop slower lens that zooms out more than I really need. IQ of either is a serious step down from my E-M10 because long range (10X and 15x) zooms are invariably soft, but still better than my phone.

At $600 I think "that's over halfway to an EM5 mkIII body!" :whistling: and "I only paid $500 for my E-M10 kit!" ;) At $400 I go back and forth with "do I really need this camera?", "why save $200 but be unsatisfied?" and "boy, wouldn't an EM-5 be really cool!" :roflmao:

So far the pandemic has kept me from pulling the trigger, but the festival just announced it's on for this year and has a killer lineup. I'm teetering. Now that I can actually get to my local dealer and get one in my hands again I'm likely to succumb.

I had one the ZS100. I now own the Sony RX100 7. Yea, the price is steep but it's a good camera. Not sure I'd take it to a place crowded with drunks though.

But it is a great travel camera.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I keep looking at the Rokinon 8mm. For...not Olympus (forgive me). I have the Oly 8, which is why I don't "need" the Rokinon. Which brings the circular logic of the 200/3.5 (mentioned as "almost" above) being cheap back into play.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Last week I was considering a Fuji xs10 then decided “go big or go home” and ordered a Nikon z5 + 24-200.

I cancelled it the next day. I have no reason or right to drop $2,000 on a camera right now, so I headed out with my g85 + pl12-60 which still takes great photos

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I almost bought an Oly 100-400 TWICE! 2 authorised UK dealers were showing stock, but on both occasions I was tied up with work projects and by the time I had the chance to order they'd both sold out.

I guess I should just pick a dealer and pre-order.

Real Name
Roddy
There's a hyper-market near me with a small electronics section in-store. By some miracle it has a 100-400 on its shelf, available for about €1100. The store is not currently open under French COVID restrictions, but when it does open up I'm going straight back in there, to gaze upon the lens and dream. I won't touch it, and I am certainly not going to buy it, but it's spring, and we know what a man's thoughts turn to in spring.

In other news I went to sleep last night hoping an eBay auction for a P12-60 would end in my favour. I had bid €106 (that's my €100 max limit plus a little insurance)) and the bloody thing went for €108 while I was in the land of nod. Sigh. Now that would have been a good buy.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
There's a hyper-market near me with a small electronics section in-store. By some miracle it has a 100-400 on its shelf, available for about €1100. The store is not currently open under French COVID restrictions, but when it does open up I'm going straight back in there, to gaze upon the lens and dream. I won't touch it, and I am certainly not going to buy it, but it's spring, and we know what a man's thoughts turn to in spring.

In other news I went to sleep last night hoping an eBay auction for a P12-60 would end in my favour. I had bid €106 (that's my €100 max limit plus a little insurance)) and the bloody thing went for €108 while I was in the land of nod. Sigh. Now that would have been a good buy.
:shakehead:

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I almost bought a GM5, missed out by a some few minutes...:(

And a converterkit - 3CON-P01, untill I actually checked them out and found that they where not threaded but bayonet fits for a few old kit zooms. I liked the idea, though.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
That's what I've read, and that the (less expensive) nFD 50/1.4 is at least as good.
TBH, I liked my OM 50/2 much better, which is why I dropped the FL (also, the f/1.2 was no different in exposure than 1.4, just softer). But my Sigma 56/1.4 AF spanks the FL and is also slightly better than the OM50/2 macro (and brighter). If I was gifted a 50/2 macro, though, I might keep it, but I don't think I'd purposely buy it again. I do keep a takumar 50/1.4 for when I want "character" from an MF lens :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom