What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’m not often tempted by used lenses since they can hold their value well and I’d rather pay a little extra for the benefits of buying new, however last night I saw an appealing offer on a used PL15mm. I thought about it overnight and mid morning I checked it was still available. At lunchtime I finally decided to go for it, but it had sold. Oh well, snooze, I lose!

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Also, I'm nowhere near buying it, but I just found out the Voïgtlander Bessaflex TM existed, and man it looks so nice... I have some decent Super Takumar M42 lenses, too...

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Also, I'm nowhere near buying it, but I just found out the Voïgtlander Bessaflex TM existed, and man it looks so nice... I have some decent Super Takumar M42 lenses, too...
That Voigtländer is pretty! But a real Asahi Pentax Spotmatic is even prettier! And, note the light meter switch on the Bessaflex. Spotmatic rip off!

But if the Spotty isn't expensive enough, go for an original AP. If you can find a mint one, it'll be at least as expensive as a Bessaflex!

Also check the Zeiss Ikon Icarex 35S TM. Get that with an Ultron! Unfortunately the build quality of the body isn't the best. There's a reason why the Japanese took over the market completely in that period of time.

But if I find a Bessaflex, I'll get it! Certainly!

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
That Voigtländer is pretty! But a real Asahi Pentax Spotmatic is even prettier! And, note the light meter switch on the Bessaflex. Spotmatic rip off!

But if the Spotty isn't expensive enough, go for an original AP. If you can find a mint one, it'll be at least as expensive as a Bessaflex!

Also check the Zeiss Ikon Icarex 35S TM. Get that with an Ultron! Unfortunately the build quality of the body isn't the best. There's a reason why the Japanese took over the market completely in that period of time.

But if I find a Bessaflex, I'll get it! Certainly!
The advantage as I see it with Cosina's cameras is that they contain circa-2000's parts, instead of being forty-plus years old, and often taking mercury batteries with inexact modern counterparts. I've got a bunch of old SLRs, or have a few and have had others, and frustration around broken light meters has been a common occurrence. But I do see their value as objects. If I could find one-owner cameras more often that have been carefully handled and preserved, I'd be more into relics. But I like the way my Bessa-T rangefinder always works.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
The advantage as I see it with Cosina's cameras is that they contain circa-2000's parts, instead of being forty-plus years old, and often taking mercury batteries with inexact modern counterparts. I've got a bunch of old SLRs, or have a few and have had others, and frustration around broken light meters has been a common occurrence. But I do see their value as objects. If I could find one-owner cameras more often that have been carefully handled and preserved, I'd be more into relics. But I like the way my Bessa-T rangefinder always works.
Just give a Spotty a good CLA, and I don't think it would be beyond your abilities to adjust the exposure yourself, if the battery is inexact.
Or get a good app for your phone!

Only real advantage I can see with the Cosina is that I think it has a Copal shutter. But after the CLA of the Spotty it would just boil down to whether you really need 1/2000 sec or not!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Garry's Camera Repair

Garry returned my dad's SRT-101 in less than a week, cleaned, lubed, timed, new seals and everything working for $55...shipped. He has parts to fix these older cameras scavenged from other bodies. If you email him and tell him what the problem is he'll tell you if he has parts and can fix it. In my case the light meter wasn't broken, the needle was bound up with a piece of crumbled light seal.

Yes, I had to come up with an alternative battery, but that's part of the charm of these older cameras. The good news is you only have to figure that part out once.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I was scanning my favourite dealers websites a couple of days ago and noticed a used Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD lens, listed as Excellent+ for £219.
I was sure that this is the lens mentioned on here oodles of times and currently the fave lens of @CD77.
As I'm always one for checking things out quite seriously, I thought this was a bit of a bargain and my only doubts were the state of my back.

I've just been back on the site, and.................
yes, it's gone!

I've now seen a used 75mm f1.8 at a truly fantastic price and am dithering again. :hmmm:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I was scanning my favourite dealers websites a couple of days ago and noticed a used Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD lens, listed as Excellent+ for £219.
I was sure that this is the lens mentioned on here oodles of times and currently the fave lens of @CD77.
As I'm always one for checking things out quite seriously, I thought this was a bit of a bargain and my only doubts were the state of my back.

I've just been back on the site, and.................
yes, it's gone!

I've now seen a used 75mm f1.8 at a truly fantastic price and am dithering again. :hmmm:
If you continue to dither you'll be stuck in this thread forever. If you want to graduate to the "what did you buy" thread, you'll actually need to spend money. C'mon now, put on those big-boy pants, stop dithering, and CLICK THE BUTTON!

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fujifilm X-T2 and 10-24mm f/4 lens. About $1,200 on the used market. There is always tomorrow.

There actually were two items on my watchlist: First it was an Olympus 45 1.2 Pro on ebay for 690€. New condition, most likely from the E-M1 Mk II promotion last year. I wasn't sure wether to get it or not, first I don't really want to spend additional money at the moment, second I am still torn deciding between the 17 and 45 Pro.
The next item was a used X-Pro2 also on ebay, it was in very good condition, with box and all accessories, no lens though, however considering how well Fuji lenses hold their value, I might've bought on of the smaller f2 primes.

Of course my laziness saved me the money, the Pro lens was already sold when I almost made up my mind, I missed the X-Pro2 while I was out for a walk and had no decent cellphone reception - it sold for just 600 EUR, considering the condition that was a real steal.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom