What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
A lens for a camera I don't own. I've made up my mind on this lens, should I end up getting the body I'm waiting to be released. Found a good deal on the lens used and almost pulled the trigger, then slapped myself in the face and woke up.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
A Sony A6000 and 24-240 lens. Sent a Sony SLT-A65 and a Tamron 17-50/2.8 off to MPB as a trade, we couldn't come to terms, so I told them to send it back.

Odd, I bought the body from them last year in excellent condition, used it maybe a half dozen times. It looks and functions same as when they sent it to me, but now it's in 'good' condition. Oh well, they saved me from myself.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I also decided NOT to buy a new tripod. I have two travel tripods and one big one. The travel tripods aren't terribly sturdy when the center columns are extended, which is necessary for eye level use. The big guy is too big and heavy (almost 8 lb with head and leveling base) to carry around. It mostly stays at home. I wanted a midweight one that still got up high enough to avoid raising the center column, was sturdy, but lighter, and easier to carry around. Found some candidates, but resisted clicking the mouse. I'll save my money for an 8-25 Pro. :)

I went through that.
I got a really nice Bogen/Manfroto 3021 tripod + 3047 head, then I took it to the rose gardens to shoot flowers. UGH the WEIGHT.
Then I took it on a LF outing, with the heavy pan head, and UGH UGH.
Now, I limit it to home, only when I shoot close to the car, or when I can put it into a cart to wheel to the site.
It is the ONLY tripod+head that I will put my 4x5 camera onto.

Then I got a lighter Bogen 3001, that was more like it. I could carry it around.
This was when I learned about the different heads. I started getting different heads, for different tasks and needs; pan, ball, fluid and gimbal. And I am looking for a geared head. And just like tripods, some are HEAVY.​

Then I got a Velbon CF tripod, which I am not convinced is any better than the 3001.
I think there are now better CF tripods at a significantly lower price.
You need to check the specs. Some CF tripods are not much lighter than the AL tripods.

My travel tripod is NOT tall, I have to bend down. Especially for a travel tripod, I do NOT raise the center column.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I almost bought a Leofoto LH-40 ballhead. Seems like a good one, but I just replaced a smaller Sirui G-10X ballhead with a Benro HD-1A panhead. Why? Because the panhead had more controllable and precise movement, especially when I was trying to take moon or night sky photos. The ballhead was just too finicky and unpredictable to move. I was almost swayed by enthusiastic reviews until I stepped back and thought "why am I looking for another ballhead?" Doh...

I never got used to the ball head. It was like you said, not very controllable. I could NOT limit the movement to ONE axis. If I wanted to tilt to the left, it could also tilt in elevation at the same time. While it was fast to use, it was not precise in placement.

Real Name
Walter
I went through that.
I got a really nice Bogen/Manfroto, then I took it to the rose gardens to shoot flowers. UGH the WEIGHT.
Then I took it on a LF outing, with the heavy pan head, and UGH UGH.
Now, I limit it to home, only when I shoot close to the car, or when I can put it into a cart to wheel to the site.
It is the ONLY tripod that I will put my 4x5 camera onto.

Then I got a lighter Bogen 3001 (I think), that was more like it. I could carry it around.
This was when I learned about the different heads. I started getting different heads, for different tasks and needs; pan, ball, fluid and gimbal. And I am looking for a geared head. And just like tripods, some are HEAVY.​

Then I got a Velbon CF tripod, which I am not convinced is any better than the 3001.
I think there are now better CF tripods at a significantly lower price.
You need to check the specs. Some CF tripods are not much lighter than the AL tripods.

My travel tripod is NOT tall, I have to bend down. Especially for a travel tripod, I do NOT raise the center column.
Before I got the Slik Pro 700DX AMT, I had a Bogen 3020 (made by Manfrotto) with the 3028 3-way head on it. That 3-way head was worse than a ballhead, because when you loosened any of the handles, the head would just flop down, and it didn't have a QR clamp. It was also rather heavy, with the tripod and head tipping the scales at 8 lb or so. I sold it cheap, but I'm amazed that it's still being sold on eBay for a fairly high price. The Slik Pro 700DX is much better, but almost as heavy. I got a Manfrotto fluid head for the Slik, thinking it could do double duty for video and stills, but found that I couldn't lock it tight enough for astrophotography. Hence, the Benro HD-1A is much better.

I have been checking the specs, and was interested in the Sirui W2204, Oben CT-2491, and Slik CF-833. Any of these would get almost as tall as the Slik Pro 700DX, and be about 2 lb lighter. That's what I'm comparing them to. However, instead of spending $300-400 on a tripod, I've decided to hold off and think about it. :)

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Before I got the Slik Pro 700DX AMT, I had a Bogen 3020 (made by Manfrotto) with the 3028 3-way head on it. That 3-way head was worse than a ballhead, because when you loosened any of the handles, the head would just flop down, and it didn't have a QR clamp. It was also rather heavy, tipping the scales at 8 lb or so. I sold it cheap, but I'm amazed that it's still being sold on eBay for a fairly high price. The Slik Pro 700DX is much better, but almost as heavy. I got a Manfrotto fluid head for the Slik, thinking it could do double duty for video and stills, but found that I couldn't lock it tight enough for astrophotography. Hence, the Benro HD-1A is much better.

I have been checking the specs, and was interested in the Sirui W2204, Oben CT-2491, and Slik CF-833. Any of these would get almost as tall as the Slik Pro 700DX, and be about 2 lb lighter. That's what I'm comparing them to. However, instead of spending $300-400 on a tripod, I've decided to hold off and think about it. :)

Yup, I have the 3028 head also. And I agree, it is sometimes a PITA to use, for the same reason. And I'm about ready to replace it with the 3047. For me, it's only real value is that it is light, and pairs with a carry tripod.
Also have the 3047, with the 6-sided QR plate. I use this for my 4x5. The QR plate is really handy when mounting the 4x5. But this is NOT a light head.
And the 3126 fluid head. Got it at an estate sale with a 3001 tripod. I don't know if I will ever do video. But as a fluid head, it is SMOOTH to pan with.

My AL tripods are the 3021 (with the 3047 head, it is HEAVY), and the 3001 (my former carry tripod).
And the Velbon GEO E540L, a CF tripod (my current carry tripod). It's primary issue is the 1/4 stud, not a 3/8 stud.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Yup, I have the 3028 head also. And I agree, it is sometimes a PITA to use, for the same reason. And I'm about ready to replace it with the 3047. For me, it's only real value is that it is light, and pairs with a carry tripod.
Also have the 3047, with the 6-sided QR plate. I use this for my 4x5. The QR plate is really handy when mounting the 4x5. But this is NOT a light head.
And the 3126 fluid head. Got it at an estate sale with a 3001 tripod. I don't know if I will ever do video. But as a fluid head, it is SMOOTH to pan with.

My AL tripods are the 3021 (with the 3047 head, it is HEAVY), and the 3001 (my former carry tripod).
And the Velbon GEO E540L, a CF tripod (my current carry tripod). It's primary issue is the 1/4 stud, not a 3/8 stud.

I should clarify. The 3028 didn't weigh 8 lb. The whole kit with the tripod and head did. I used to carry it and a 4x5 into the lava fields on the Big Island. I was young and stupid in those days. Now I'm old and only a bit wiser. :)

My present Pro 700DX AMT w/leveling base and Benro HD-1A head weighs 7.4 lb. So, not much lighter than my old Bogen 3021 w/3028 head. Definitely a stay at home or short distance from the car rig. I'd like something that would weigh around 5 lb or less for a mid-weight setup.

If you want to consider a substitute for the 3047, I was pretty impressed by the Benro HD series of panheads. I bought the HD-1A which is a good size for M43 kit. Very smooth movements and locks tightly in place. Very positive, you don't get the droop that you sometimes get when you tighten up a ballhead. Would probably recommend the larger HD-2A or 3A for larger kits. Benro also makes a geared head, if you want to go that way.
https://benrousa.com/benro-hd3a-3-way-pan-head/
https://benrousa.com/benro-gd3wh-3-way-geared-head/

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I should clarify. The 3028 didn't weigh 8 lb. The whole kit with the tripod and head did. I used to carry it and a 4x5 into the lava fields on the Big Island. I was young and stupid in those days. Now I'm old and only a bit wiser. :)

My present Pro 700DX AMT w/leveling base and Benro HD-1A head weighs 7.4 lb. So, not much lighter than my old Bogen 3021 w/3028 head. Definitely a stay at home or short distance from the car rig. I'd like something that would weigh around 5 lb or less for a mid-weight setup.

If you want to consider a substitute for the 3047, I was pretty impressed by the Benro HD series of panheads. I bought the HD-1A which is a good size for M43 kit. Very smooth movements and locks tightly in place. Very positive, you don't get the droop that you sometimes get when you tighten up a ballhead. Would probably recommend the larger HD-2A or 3A for larger kits. Benro also makes a geared head, if you want to go that way.
https://benrousa.com/benro-hd3a-3-way-pan-head/
https://benrousa.com/benro-gd3wh-3-way-geared-head/

oooo
That geared head looks nice.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
A second hand Panasonic 35-100 f:2.8 MkII and a ditto bargain priced PL25 mm f:1.4, came somewhat close but no cigar.
Week' s not over yet, though.

Probably need both of them about as much as a tooth extraction. The zoom is just to make up a matching pair with the 12-35 and be a semi-light trotting about set, and the PL is just a lust, as I very seldom shoot primes. On the other hand, we are entering another dark period, so all the light gathering capabilities is needed.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom