What photography related item did you ALMOST buy this week?

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I kind of feel like we need this thread. At least I do. I almost bought a Sigma Merrill DP2. Great camera. Best images I've ever taken. But oh what a pain in the butt to use. Totally incompatible with how I feel about photography these days, but I was still very tempted. Someone was selling for $400, which is a pretty decent price as the Merrills don't seem to come up for sale as often as they used to. I was happy to see it was sold. Only have a slight twinge of regret :).

Gotta say I'm also eyeballing an Oly 25/1.8 for $139 here in our classifieds. I don't think I'll succumb to temptation on it, but it still might be good if someone else snagged it.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Almost snagged a Olympus 25/1.8 too, but I got busy as the auction ended and someone else got it. Gutted! :(

Alex2

Mu-43 Rookie
Nice topic (although your avatar made me hesitant for a moment)!

I have an E-M5 Mark II. Bought it last year second hand, after using my first m43 camera, the original E-M5, for nearly seven years. Around 2016 I also owned a second hand E-M1 for a brief amount of time, to see if I was missing out. I was not at all, so I sold it. So you guess what almost happened...

I had the E-M1 Mark II in the cart, my mouse pointer was hovering over the Buy button, but I could not bring myself to click it. It is fast, it can track subjects better, it has a few additional buttons that I would like to use, and a longer battery time. But in the end it was just not enough to press Buy...

A few reasons to not do it. I dislike the sensitive shutter button (and yes, I acknowledge it is better for action photography but that is not what I do), I like the design far less than that of the E-M5 (which is to me the most beautiful camera ever built), I have decided some time ago that the 1.2 lenses are not for me so I do not need the grip (yeah, that was hard to decide), and it does not look nice with my silver metal lenses...

But still, it hurts a little...

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fuji X100V. I emailed the seller asking questions but then the ad disappeared off Craigslist. A week and a half later, I see the ad is back. Will try contacting the seller again.

I did order a mac-mini with some good guidance from members on this forum I also indicated I was going to get the BenQ SW2700PT 27" monitor, B&H had no indication of a delivery date on the mini so I ordered that thru apple with some coupons I had, (exciting news the power cord shipped two days ago!)
That leaves the BenQ which I have held off but wanted to ask if anybody has something they think might be better in the $600 price range, that might be a cheaper or clearly better deal.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The 7artisans 35mm f/0.95. I don't need it, I already have the tiny 7artisans 35mm f/1.2 plus 5 more manual focus 35mm primes and 4 zooms that cover the focal length.

Despite that I still want one.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Zeiss Planar 50mm-1.4 C/Y mount in local ads for reasonable price.
One part of me says I want it, another part says I don't need it as I have many other lenses that cover the intended usage... I still haven't put a definitive X on it.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
I did order a mac-mini with some good guidance from members on this forum I also indicated I was going to get the BenQ SW2700PT 27" monitor, B&H had no indication of a delivery date on the mini so I ordered that thru apple with some coupons I had, (exciting news the power cord shipped two days ago!)
That leaves the BenQ which I have held off but wanted to ask if anybody has something they think might be better in the $600 price range, that might be a cheaper or clearly better deal.

The SW2700PT is an excellent display. I have one and that now has over 7000 power on hours. I would like a second to replace a very good but much older sRGB display HP ZR2440w (23000+ power on hours). It's largely out of stock everywhere and no official refurbished units I could find. Asus ProArt would be a reasonable alternative but there no 27" QHD AdobeRGB displays from them. Only 32" 4K displays. They do have a selection of 100% sRGB/Rec 709 displays at QHD but so does BenQ. It seems to me a lot of higher-end models are being released because of Rec2020 and HDR catering more to video pros than photography even though most of the those displays with proper config will do for photo work just fine.

The newest BenQ display models like the SW371C have some nifty features like "dual gamut" where it can compare the same image split screen in two different color gamut for comparison. They also have some software-based tools for the newer models like "Display Pilot" for display feature controls like split screen, window snapping, etc. and "Paper Color Sync" for simulating print output for various paper types. Sadly, the SW2700PT does not support them. I tried the Display Pilot software on it and all it allowed me to do was rotate display orientation. While the entire feature set was available to my friend with the SW371C.

The SW2700PT is an excellent display. I have one and that now has over 7000 power on hours. I would like a second to replace a very good but much older sRGB display HP ZR2440w (23000+ power on hours). It's largely out of stock everywhere and no official refurbished units I could find. Asus ProArt would be a reasonable alternative but there no 27" QHD AdobeRGB displays from them. Only 32" 4K displays. They do have a selection of 100% sRGB/Rec 709 displays at QHD but so does BenQ. It seems to me a lot of higher-end models are being released because of Rec2020 and HDR catering more to video pros than photography even though most of the those displays with proper config will do for photo work just fine.

The newest BenQ display models like the SW371C have some nifty features like "dual gamut" where it can compare the same image split screen in two different color gamut for comparison. They also have some software-based tools for the newer models like "Display Pilot" for display feature controls like split screen, window snapping, etc. and "Paper Color Sync" for simulating print output for various paper types. Sadly, the SW2700PT does not support them. I tried the Display Pilot software on it and all it allowed me to do was rotate display orientation. While the entire feature set was available to my friend with the SW371C.
Thanks for the info it makes the decision easier (plus with a avatar like your's who would doubt ya!) I tried to find a 371 but I think its 271 ? I am sure that this price range and all the good reviews will have me pretty content.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
I don't know if this counts, as I've neither almost bought nor decided against - getting a more compact 2nd body, like an O E-PL7/8/9 or PX850 or maybe even GX85

They've never carried much Panasonic but they used to be willing to order Olympus and had the more common items in stock. Right bow they are just selling off what they have in stock, which does not include the 8mm Pro that I had planned on making a Christmas gift to myself.

I'm going in next week to figure out what to do about the situation as if I can't buy a lens from them I don't have anything else I want to spend that much with them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom