What Photo Sharing Site?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CCRoo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Which photo sharing site should I use? I am not crazy about the Flickr interface. Maybe Tumblr? I definitely want to be able to upload more than one photo at a time. Any advice?

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've been using Smugmug, mmmh, about forever (about eight years). Overall I've been very pleased with the service, the site isn't down very often. Like most sites, I think the first month or so is free to try it out (heck, try out a few). Smugmug is family owned and is quick on the customer service end of the business.

G

PS- I am sensitive to corporate responsibilities. This is just me, but after what Yahoo (owns Flickr) disclosed the names of Chinese dissidents resulting in imprisonment for many ... I pulled all my ties to Yahoo (*shrugs shoulders* thats about all I can do.) I have witnessed Smugmug personal design numerous posters and collages for one of the forum members. The long story is that the photog's youngest client was killed in an auto accident (I think she was 11 y/o). He didn't know how to make a collage that the family requested for the funeral and he was running out of time. Now only did Smugmug pitch in on the designs, but they printed the photos poster sized and FedEx the entire lot across the country to Georgia in time for the funeral ... Smugmug did it all ... and did it on their dime. Not only does Smugmug run a nice tight ship ... but they are a company you don't mind paying.

G

• Like Like x 1
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I like google picasa. Flickr has this annoying and crowded interface

4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I like Picasa also.
    I use Flickr as well, but not very often.

5. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Smugmug for selling, Facebook for sharing.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I use Smugmug for prints and sharing with family when all they want to do is download (nice cause no membership required for them to view). Flickr and Picasa Web have much better community features and general sharing. Picasa is especially nice if you have a google account and use google+ (new competitor to facebook).

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Picasa has been my choice. Had to buy 20 GB of storage for $5/year, but it works well enough.

8. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Which of these sites allows you to do batch uploads?

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Picasa's website didn't mind when I dropped 150 photos into their web interface, and the desktop client has full blown management. There's also a Lightroom plugin I believe.

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Someone else here pointed to minus.com which takes full size images which I like.

I also use dropbox to share with select folks full size images.

11. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I liked Smugmug at first- but when I started using the "Digital Grin" forums, that's when my Smugmug problems started.

First, the photo contests there are simply popularity contests, because only those with a *unearned* following (and not any particular skills) will win. I've watched the same woman win two times for marginal photo's.

Second- when posting photo's, guys like "Richard" (street & PJ moderator) and the resident egg-head "B D Colen" who the Smugmug VP Andy describes as an "accomplished and notable lecturer" and Photojournalism Artist-in-Residence" they RUIN a good forum.. to the point that it has become almost inactive!

BD Colen, "an experienced teacher as well as having spent decades in the field, he's here to answer your questions, provide critiques, lead discussions, and much, much more.." really has no skill and has riden one good shot he took for 20+ years.. and is a uber-liberal that stinks up the forum.

Basically- BD Colen.. a know it all, miserable old codger who uses Constructive Criticism as a license to shred folks he don't personally like, and coddle those with liberal views (and maybe the gender) he likes.

Nahhh.. Smugmug struck out in my book.

12. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    try google plus. its a great social network for photography-minded people.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I was speaking to the photo-hosting not the forum. I used to be active on the forum, but due to time constraints I haven't posted on Digitalgrin in a long long time. I've heard the forum has, as you've noted, gone down in activity.

As to contests, I feel that when the general population is allowed to vote ... then a popularity contest becomes a factor often affecting the winning and losing image.

Interestingly, BD Colen is a Pulitzer Prize winning "writer", Washington Post & Newsweek, (not photographer). (Colen did praised my work, lol.)

G

14. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I'd love to audit one of his Photo Classes just to heckle him and give it to him- real good.