1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what percentage of used lenses on sale are...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by brainhulk, Aug 3, 2012.

1. brainhulk

brainhulk Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2010
    "With Imperfections" that pros/pixel peepers deem not perfect enough for their use?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A near negligible percentage. You can take fine photos with a lens that's scratched to hell, especially with a wide aperture (scuffs, marks, and scratches don't show up until you stop down), but no buyer in their right mind would pay any decent amount of money for a scuffed up lens. Nor should we, when we have enough choice of cleaner glass to pick from.

If you're considering buying an "imperfect lens" then sure, why not? if you can get a killer deal on it because of the imperfections.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    FWIW, almost every used lens I've bought has been pristine. There are a lot of people with GAS, who are constantly trying hardware and then reselling when they decide they don't like it, or see something else they want more.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Probably not that many - most amateurs take great care of their equipment, as it costs them $$$ from their own pocket, with no funds recouped from a photography related income. I'd be much more wary of buying something used from an actual pro, as they are more likely to treat their gear strictly as one of many tools in the tool bag, and ditch it when it no longer performs. Ultimately it is upto a seller to be accurate in their descriptions, and to the buyer to find value in something being sold at a particular price.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not many. For people who really care about the condition of their lenses, they'll buy new, and exchange with the retailer until they get a satisfactory sample.

Most secondhand gear appears because folks buy stuff that proves to be less interesting in practice than it was in theory. At least from what I've seen...

DH

6. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Always had good luck with used.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have a feeling some pros would be taken back a bit being classified alongside "pixel peepers".

I don't think many professionals really would let a scratch get in their way... especially while on assignment. Professionals in larger media outlets often don't own the equipment and some do look pretty beat up... but still deliver results.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with everyone else that this percentage is probably close to zero.

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    +1 - all my lenses are second hand. But then I may not be a proper pixel peeper.