What PASM Modes Do you Use ?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by retiredfromlife, Oct 7, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    I am interested in what people use most out of the PASM modes

Since film my E-P5 is my first non point & shoot camera, and I have mainly used “A” & “S” modes as these directly translate from my old film days. I suppose the modes I am most interested in is how people use “P” & “M” modes.

So far I have only used “M” in two types of shots. Where I meter on something take note of the exposure setting then apply them in manual so the camera will not change them and when I tried to take macro photo’s of bees where I set a very fast speed and small aperture to let he flash light the subject and hopefully freeze movement. (nice try but did not work)

So far I really cannot see what advantage shooting in “P” would give me, I have just used iAUTO for that sort of shot.

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I use A-mode for nearly everything. Only exceptions are (a) for video, and (b) for long exposure photography like astro. In both of those exception cases, I use M-mode.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    most of the time A, sometimes M....

my usage of P and S&M are not really relevant to a photo forum :)

• Funny Funny x 8
  4. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    M mode for everything, usually with auto-ISO outside of tricky exposure situations.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I found using M was a necessity for low light venues such as weddings.
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
  8. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    A and M the most.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    90% A with auto-iso 10% M
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I use A-mode when I'm concerned with the depth of field or light, S-mode when I need to control the shutter speed to stop motion or add a blur (such as on prop planes), M-mode when I typically am shooting on conditions that won't change - most likely while using flash. Seldom, if ever, have I used Auto or P-mode, I just figure if I wanted the camera to make my choices I'd get a P&S.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    A & P mostly, and yes there are plenty of times I find P mode is perfectly fine for what I am doing. If I am using a external flash, then Manual mode usually.
  12. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I thought about it and I can't remember the last time I took my camera off of A mode... even when I'm trying to freeze motion I just open the aperture. I do use auto ISO (200<->1600) unless I need to go higher then I set ISO manually.

I do use M mode for long exposure astro shots, but for that I have a myset asigned to the dial in place of one of those silly creative modes. So I never use M mode on the dial in technicality. The other modes may never have been used...o_O
  13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    S for street shooting. P for almost everything else, even before A. I trust my E-P5 in that regard.
  14. Debbie.Cato

Feb 23, 2016
  15. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    How do you use the "P" mode, I guess what settings do you change, as I must be missing something as "A" & "S" for me do the same thing. P seems to be iAUTO with a bit of flexibility, unless I am missing the point of that mode.
  16. Debbie.Cato

Feb 23, 2016
    In Program mode the camera chooses both aperture and shutter values. I'm sure iAUTO is similar but I have never used it so am unsure if iAUTO contains additional tweaks to the settings. Scott Kelby suggested using P mode for street shooting in a book that I read.
  17. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Yes I guess for my style of taking photos "P" is not so relevant, especially sine I emulate my use of film cameras. But I probably should have a go with that setting as I could be missing out on some functionality for quick grab shots.
  18. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    A mode most of the time and M when I'm using off camera flash.
  19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    M. Always.

When I had my Canon 1D Mark III, since it didn't have a physical mode dial, it was possible to disable modes you didn't want...I had everything but M and Bulb disabled. :D

I do wish, however, that my E-M5 had some C spots on the dial!
  20. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    If you use "M" how do you obtain the correct settings. Do you use another mode to obtain the correct exposure?

In my film days I used a hand held spot meter to get the exposures if I did not trust the camera light meter or if the camera did not have one like some twin lens reflex cameras did not. Do people still use external light meters?