What Panasonic camera is best?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by NayM, Jun 6, 2014.

1. NayM

NayM New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2014
    A am looking to buy a digital camera, I am buying from a friend who sells panasonic?
    I need advice on the best camera available for a budget up to around £250-£300. Camera will be used by both mid level and by a novice. Have had a Canon IXUS 800 which we were happy with but has to be Panasonic this time. Please advise.

PS video recording feature is required

2. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Don't really know pounds, but for what it sounds like your budget is, I would go used.
    The GH2 and the G5 and G6 are all excellent cameras that are available at significant discounts from their original new price.
    The G5 would probably be the least expensive.
    The GH2 would be more, but is known for its superb video features.
    It also has a lot of nice external control dials and buttons - very well equipped camera.
    G5 & G6 both do good video also, however.
    Any of the 14-42 kit lenses are good and very inexpensive used.
    Shop the items being sold in this forum - good deals there.
    There are several good primes you could get for below $300.

Don't be afraid to buy used -
    these are well-built cameras and enthusiasts upgrade often -
    so many of the used cameras have very low shutter counts
    and are often in like-new condition.

Also, m4/3 cameras have a habit of dropping in value from new prices rapidly -
    so there are very good deals in not that old cameras -
    and if you resell to upgrade you won't lose as much on your investment.
  3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    If you have to buy new, the GX7 and the GH3 are both excellent.
    Different body types - you would have to try them to see which you prefer.
    But neither one is inexpensive new.
    There is at least a $200 difference between the new and the used price on the GX7, for instance.
    You may be able to get better new pricing from your friend.
  4. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I still love my GF5. I'm sure you can get the newer GF6 well within your budget, leaving some money for a good stabilized prime. The GF line is meant for beginners and people coming from a compact camera (like your Canon) but still allow a ton of control and have good video.

What are your video requirements? 1080p is a given, of course, but are you okay with 30fps or do you need 60fps? Do you need the files in a specific format?
  5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    For £250 to £300, it can only be the Panasonic G5 if you are buying new.
    Check out this website where to buy new http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/...Cameras/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G5-+-14-42mm-Lens
    It is roughly the same size and shape of your average bridge camera. It has a 16mp sensor and a good electronic view finder. One of it features is a silent electronic shutter.
    I have this camera myself and I enjoy using it.
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Affordable? GX1, G5 - best bang for buck, but slightly old sensors.
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If video is important, G6 is your best budget option, hands down.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  8. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5.

They're going for £250 at Jessops and the same at Currys but with a 2 year warranty included in the price.

I just bought one last week and am delighted with it - let your friend know of the deals I mentioned and ask him/her to match that price. :thumbup:
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    OP, you don't say you want an interchangeable lens camera. Is that what you want? Or do you just want a Panasonic?

What will you mostly use the camera for? You mention video, but what kind of subjects? Virtually every digital camera shoots video, but quality can vary widely. Do you need really good quality, or is average OK? Are you a serious videographer, or are you just capturing kids running around playing? Will your images be family snapshots, sports, vacations? Does size matter? Do you want something that will fit in a pants / shirt / jacket pocket?

Without knowing something about your requirements, we can't really make a meaningful recommendation, in spite of the posts above.
  10. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    I'd go for a G5
  11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    +1 for the G5 kit at the price they are going for nowadays
    PS don't forget the great (and Panasonic exclusive) 'Touch Pad' feature which enables you to select and manipulate the active focus points by touching the LCD screen (when it is switched off) whilst simultaneously viewing through the EVF (viewfinder) Superb feature !
    See additional thread 'What is the best Panasonic Camera to Buy' where members have gone ahead and bought G5s recently

• Like Like x 1
  12. dgt

dgt New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2011
    I'd try and stretch to a G6 with the 14-42mm mkii lens. It may be a bit more than £300 but it's a lovely camera. Have a look on the Ffordes' website; I know they have a silver lens and I think they have a G6 or three. You get a guarantee and their stuff is immaculate; I use them all the time.

Dave. (UK)
  13. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    I love my G5 and my hacked GF3'S
  14. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a couple of G3's and they can be had for less than £100 used, if you want a better lens it could be an option. Though if You see buying better lens further down go for the best body you can afford today, I would either got for a used G6 or GH2, the GH2 is tempting being the last with the Multi aspect sensor so you can have 4/3 3/2 and the panoramic with minimal difference in resolution.