What other system do you find drool worthy?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My choice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DA70MM_LIMITED_SILVER_1_S.

If I couldn't have my current kit, that's the one I'd pick :wink:.

I think I could get used to the added size/weight of the above kit, but I'd sure miss my Panasonic 20/1.7. With all of their marvelous primes, I don't think Pentax has one which could replace that little Lumix for me.

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Ditto. I love the Pentax K-7/5 build-so compact and nice.. If it weren't insanely crazy, I'd sell my canon and panasonic gear and get the Pentax lineup w/ pancakes. What's keeping me? Loss of investment, Pentax's long term viability, and those pancakes on crop are a bit off for my liking =(

If we're talking about complete drool way out of my league... Phase One stuff, heh.

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Pentax 645D with 55mm and 25mm lenses
    Alpa or Cambo technical camera with Rodenstock digital lenses and the IQ180 80MP back

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Leica M9. :)

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Anything I don't currently own.........

What interests me at the moment is the Pentax 645. What I want is a medium format panoramic digital.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    That is no good and potentially very expensive.

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I used to think that. Then I found out you buy one and send it back to Leica for a few months so they can put it together properly. What you want is an S2 with the lenses. :)

8. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Sony Alpha ( yes i might get hit ) the sharpness of Minolta lenses , and more recently the only Zeiss AF collection i think if you want to shoot Full frame this is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No problems with mine..... I am an early adopter of the first M8 digital RF from Leica. I did have my sensor replaced because of a dead read causing a line visable at high ISO. They fixed it in a couple weeks (no charge even out of warranty)... as with any 1st run generation product, ther are risks. Other than that... no problems with either M9 or M8. My only complaint... battery life sucks relative to other DSLRs...

Internet tends to blow things out of proportion. The few have the voice that sounds like the majority. Its a small production item too...

I wouldn't mind the S2 but its big and its an SLR design.. which is totally opposite of why people buy rangefinders. S2 isnt' a replacement/alternate to the M9 but another beast of itself.

I'm totally happy with what I have... but I wouldn't mind a 645D if I had funds to burn. I have a whole system of 645 lenses I'd like to see in use again. I'd probably use it for a while then leave it home for long periods of time... I much prefer small cameras.

Amin's choice does invoke oooOOos and AAAAhhhs..

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    :eek:

:wink:

Don't take my post too seriously. Just havin' fun thinking about things I will probably never afford..

11. usayit

lol... didn't mean to come off too "pressed". Its fun to drool... just keep a napkin nearby.

You can nearly afford anything... its simply a matter of savings and cutting other expenses out. Buy Many Inexpensive things or Few Expensive things. Never Buy Many Expensive Things.

12. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    No other system - for me it's Panasonic G and m4/3.

13. floppymoose

floppymoose Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2010
    But.... that's the most fun!

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am in the "few expensive things" category, but still an S2 system is out of reach. For a good reason, the resulting divorce would be too expensive. But the Pentax 645D...

15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    For you or the collection agency?

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For what an M9 costs, the defect rate HAS to be ZERO.

If it was some other, less fanboy driven company than Leica, the outcry would be 1000000x worse. For some brands, though, the passion for the logo overcomes "normal" consumer behavior, and Leica gets away with A LOT because of it.

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Then you never be able to afford it--there will never be a perfect production line. I agree Leica QC is not impressive, particularly for such an expensive camera, but we don't have be condescending to people who enjoy them. If someone forks over for an M9 knowing about its limitations, that is fine. I wear pink slippers, but why should that bother you?

• Like Like x 1
  18. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    G2 to GH2 , ill wait till the "GH3" comes out then move up to the GH2, so pretty satisfied.

19. usayit

Expensive items don't necessarily mean a less defects.... there is no correlation

One such example: Ferrari's have been known to catch on fire. Cheaper Japanese autos have done very well on reliability. (shouldn't they charge more for those then?)

Cost of an Item has nothing to do with manufacturing costs; its supply versus demand and how much the market is willing to pay

One such example: Leica (niche product, low manufactured numbers) and Teeny babies back way back (collectibility). I doubt certain brands of purses are worth several $1000 in manufacturing costs.

Basic business topics.

Literally zero defect ratio is an impossibility. BMW's Mercedes etc.. had for many years high problems than the typical Japanese 4 wheeled appliance. There's a reason why those brands are still sought after highly even though Toyota Corolla holds the title for manufacturing numbers.

-----

Those who buy Leica know what its like to buy low production hand built items.... AND if you want a digital rangefinder there is no other option. If another company duplicated the M RF experience in digital, Leica would have some problems to deal with. So far the closest was Epson with the R-D1 (I have one too).

Someone once told me the brand that literally has the highest number of problems is Lamborgini when you account for limited manufacturing numbers.

---

20. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Funny how many people mentioned Pentax 645D. Me too.... and a Sherpa to carry it : 0