what other lenses are there to adapt?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jan 20, 2013.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i am still awaiting my nikon adapter. I was just wondering what lenses are prime with a very fast aperture? I was looking at cine lenses, but do they all have vignetting in the corners? I am looking for a prime lens to adapt that is very light and small without vignetting. Do you have any ideas? I want something that is cheap like 30 bucks and is a great lens.
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    There's the Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 pancake, which makes a nice small package since the AR mount is quite short (for a SLR). I don't know what Nikon lenses you have, but the Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8 pancake is tiny and nice and sharp.

If your interest in adapted lenses isn't merely because adapted glass is cheap, then you'd probably be interested in the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.5, and 40mm f/1.4 pancakes for M mount. They're miniscule, but the cheapest they go for is $350 or so. the 35mm f/2.5 with the adapter is about the size size as the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.
  3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    thanks. I just thought i could buy some cheap lenses until i can get my 20mm 1.7 so i stay interested in using my cameras.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Go find a 28mm 2.8 AIS. That lens is tack sharp and focuses darn close (.2cm). Comes out to a 55mm FF equivalent. Still makes for a good walk-around.
  5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Unfortunately the price of many of these lenses has skyrocketed in recent years due to the arrival of m43 and NEX. $30 is going to be hard.

Here's the problem: due to m43's 2 x crop factor, the effective (FF-equivalent) focal length of all lenses is doubled. So the common-as-hen's-teeth 50mm, which an be bought quite cheaply, becomes a 100mm-equivalent lens on m43--in other words, a medium telephoto. While this makes an excellent portrait lens, most people don't find it ideal for an everyday walkaround lens.

In order to find an adapted lens equivalent to your 20mm, or even 25mm, you'd need an ultra wide-angle FF lens, and these are large and heavy, and usually expensive. The widest reasonably priced adaptable lens is a 28mm, and even these are usually pretty big.

I love cine and other C-mount lenses, but they have a couple of things going against them: (a) they almost all vignette to some degree, as you anticipated; and (b) they've gotten much more expensive in recent years. I can't imagine you can pick up a true Cine lens for $30, though you might find a CCTV lens for about that much if you look around. These can be pretty sketchy optically, but usually are pretty fast and can be fun. Here's an example for only $18 shipped (though you'll need an adapter too, but these can be had for <$10): 25mm F1 4 1 2" CCTV Lens C Mount for M43 M4 3 EPL3 EPM1 NEX 3 5 Pentex Q Nikon 1 | eBay. Many of these CCTV lenses were designed for a much smaller sensor and will vignette, as I suspect this one will. There's a 35mm that might be too long for an everyday lens, but I'm told doesn't vignette very much if at all: 35mm F1 7 2 3" CCTV Lens C Mount for M43 GF2 GF3 GH1 EPL3 EPM1 NEX 5 7 Pentex Q | eBay.

Something like this might be fun as a stop-gap measure until your real m43 lens arrives, and you might enjoy it enough to take out for a spin every once in a while afterwards too.
  6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Is there a thrift store nearby, and have you checked online classifieds like Craigslist or equivalent? If you want a cheap walkaround you might be able to find a used 24mm or 28mm (at f/2 or more likely f/2.8). But most legacy lenses are not going to be lighter or smaller (including adapter) than your kit lens, especially if you're looking for a fast aperture, unless you follow Mellow's suggestion and get a little CCTV lens to hold you over.

What Nikon lenses do you already have? You should be able to get an adapter in less than a week if you order from places like RainbowImaging or Fotodiox, who ship from the US.
  7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have a 50mm 1.8 and another zoom lens, which i believe is made by tamron, but i have not found it yet. I ordered my adapter from fotodiox on amazon.ca it was shipped a week ago i believe but still hasn't come. expected delivery date is next month!. why so long?
  8. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Buy this!

25mm f/1.4 C CCTV Lens for Micro 4/3 M43 Olympus PEN E-P3 PL3 Panasonic G3 GF3 | eBay

I did and it is a lot of fun for the money. f1.4 gives you supper low light abilities and the crazy bokeh. Sure it is not the best IQ but it will be a lot of fun while you wait for your 20mm.

Pictures attached were taken with my version on my - E-p1 - Straight out of camera jpegs.

Lens also comes in sliver with silver adapter.

Attached Files:

File size:
      121 KB
      File size:
      119.8 KB
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Old Russian lenses are poor mans Carl Zeiss. Find a Jupiter-3, 50mm f1.5. Preferably before '65 or so. Gets a little glowie wide open, but has tonnes of character. You'll need an m39-m43 adapter.
  10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    thanks very much, but unfortunately, i don't think it will ship to Canada. I found this one that ships to Canada:
    25mm f1.4 1/2" CCTV Lens C mount for M43 M4/3 EPl3 EPM1 NEX 3 5 Pentex Q Nikon 1 | eBay
    to me, it looks essentialy the same. i cannot say becuase i don't own the other one. Can you tell me if this is the same one? i would appreciate it. All i need to go with that one is a adapter.
  11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

NO, if you get a prime that is a focal length greater than 25mm you should not have much vignetting in the corners if any at all.

I have a fantastic 75mm f/1.3 c-mount lens that I love to use. Its about the size of my 58mm Minolta lens that use with an adapter, but considering the difference between a Minolta-µ4/3 adapter and a c-mount-µ4/3 adapter, its much smaller and lighter over all when I use the 75mm, not to mention faster. But the only C-mount lenses that cover the µ4/3 sensor and are almost as low as 30 dollars, are the low quality TV lenses which fall into the toy lens category.
    Really if you find a good quality C-mount lens that covers the sensor and is fast and is under a hundred dollars that's considered cheap. My 75mm cost 100 dollars shipped and I consider that cheep.
  12. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Yes that one looks fine.

It's is not the EXACT same one but yes it is very much the same thing. I only showed you the one I got because by coincidence it was the first example on eBay that I found to show you. All these lenses are very much the same thing, though I'm sure there can be slight differences between them.

The Vingnet on the example pictures looks more extreme because it seems they were taken with a Sony Nex camera and those cameras need the lens to provide a larger image circle for the larger sensor.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just how "light and small" do you want? If you really want small and light, but still want outstanding quality (much better than C-mount CCTV lenses), then try rangefinder and Pen F lenses. This is not a budget route though, so be warned of that first. The lenses are very compact though, and very good. You can get pretty cheap though, if you go with Russian rangefinder lenses (like the Jupiter-3 or Industar lines). They are mostly uncoated glass though, and certainly do show their age. If you buy German rangefinder lenses (like Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander) you will get better quality but at a much higher cost. For Pen F lenses, your choice is mainly just Zuiko... which is a very nice balance of quality and price.
  14. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    These aren't the best or fastest and you can't change the aperture, but the pentax auto110 lenses would fit the bill. They are very small, the standard lenses are 18mm, 24mm and 50mm, all f2.8, and they are designed for a piece of film roughly the same size as our m43 sensors. The adapters are small and cheap.
  15. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I really enjoyed this review...which made me dig into my closet and lo and behold, I found I had kept my Zuiko 24mm f/2.8.

It's FF, tiny, all metal, and lovely.

And from what reviewers say, world class.

24mm World Cup Final
    • Like Like x 1