1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What other digital interchangeable lens systems do you own?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just wondering what other camera brands people shoot with on mu-43 besides micro four-thirds? :biggrin:

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I probably could have added leica to my list... but technically they are owned by my other half.

K

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think I listed all the current digital ILC systems on there. Can't think of any others, outside of MF format cameras.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I had a flirtation with Nex, but it was fairly brief. I had some Pentax and Nikon SLR gear waaaaaay back in the film days, but in terms of digital I'm pretty much all-in with m43. I have a couple other cameras, but they're both fixed lens, fixed focal length.

-Ray

5. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    London
    Have got a Canon DSLR system (40D, 16-35L, 28-135, 100-400L, 90 macro (Tamron) and 50 macro plus 1.4x converter) which I use mainly for motorsport and nature macro shooting, and until I got the E-PL3 it was my main system for those types of shooting. However the E-PL3 has impressed me enough for motorsport that my poor neglected 40D will probably remain in the cupboard most of the time from now on! :sad010:

I can't bear to sell it though as I've been a Canon (D)SLR shooter since I first got into photography seriously, so I will probably keep it (along with my film EOS 5 and my ancient AE-1, which was my first SLR camera) for posterity's sake and for those increasingly rare occasions when I still think it's worth carrying several kilos worth of kit around to get the right shot! :tongue:

Oh and edited to add, the manual FD lenses I had for my AE-1 are now finding a new lease of life on my E-P1 and E-PL3 too!

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I came into m43 thinking it would just be my small walk around camera when I didn't want to bring my Nikon kit. Big mistake, haha! The nice thing about m43 is that it's actually pretty friendly with other camera systems. I can use my Nikon flash on my G3 in A mode by dialing focal length and aperture (with the flash handling output) and I can adapt my f-mount lenses shooting in manual focus. On my recent trip to Asia, there were many pros and hardcore enthusiast with both Canon/Nikon and m43 cameras.

7. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    only mu43.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Nikon ..... lots & lots
    Leica ...... lots
    m43 ....... not too much, but I may be expanding it when the Oly m43 PRO is available :biggrin:

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    my digital roadmap went

Canon 10D
    Olympus 510
    E-P1
    Canon 5D Mk 2

next move will probably be a GH2/3 or hopefully some groovy Olympus.....hoping and dreaming of built in EFV and 24P video

K

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I come from an Olympus background with the E-System DSLRs. When I got my first E-P1 Digital PEN, I was shooting the Olympus E-3. I still use my Four-Thirds Zuiko glass for almost all my commercial lenses, though I no longer carry digital glass in my light carrying bag. The Zuiko Digital lenses are the sharpest wide open that I've found. My light carry-bag comprises mostly of OM Zuiko glass, though that gets mixed and matched. I'm still waiting for my adapter to arrive for my Zeiss mid-telephoto lens!

11. Canon, plus a selection of Zuiko and PL 4/3 lenses which I use mostly on Micro 4/3. I also still have an Oly E-410 body which I bought with the aforementioned lenses. I have gotten a lot of use out of it's battery as a spare for my E-P1 and now E-PL1, but not so much out of the camera itself.

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Funny how Sony is split between Alpha and Nex systems, but Pentax with their K APS-C DSLRs, MFD camera, and the Q system only get one choice. Leica has M and S series cameras.

13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    :43: all the way! I have had Olympus and Nikon dslrs in the past but I really don't get on with slrs other than the 70s style small film bodies like OMs.

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Right now I don't own any other digital interchangeable lens cameras, just Micro 4/3. However, I also own a high-end compact camera (Samsung EX1), a high-quality fixed lens digital camera (Sony DSC-R1) and a good amount of Canon FD film gear (2 bodies, 5 lenses, 2 dedicated flashes). I also own some very good fixed lens film cameras (a Canonet and a Hi-Matic).

But I'm also considering getting a NEX-7 and/or Sony Alpha A900 or Canon EOS 5D Mark II (still not sure if I will really use it or it will just sit on the shelf collecting dust).

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm soon to become a Pentaxian. Im guessing I'll use it half the time and m4/3 half the time. It really doesn;t seem that much bigger weight-wise and the additional performance seems very real to me.....especially in regards to dynamic range, speed (for sports) and general IQ.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah, so you couldn't resist the cute little Pentax Q either huh? :biggrin: (j/k)

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Did you the "Holga" lens with your Q, Ned?

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Of course! Now I'm just waiting for the new Lensbaby "Baby Q" lens to arrive. :D

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    People actually own the Q system? I also didn't bother listing medium format cameras. :wink:

20. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I had Olympus ultra zooms for about 10 years and then I decided to try a big Canon DSLR (T3i) thinking I'd be blown away with the image quality of such a large, heavy camera. Big mistake. Although the image quality of the video with the T3i is very good, the jpegs I get from it don't have the detail and vivid, yet life like colors of Olympus cameras. So I'm back to Olympus using an E-PL1 though I'll probably keep the T3i for video purposes (until Oly comes out with a M4/3 that excels in video as well as jpegs).