1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what online service would work best for a small photo club?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pondball, Jul 26, 2016.

1. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

Need: an online presence for our small (no more than 40 member) Photo Club.

I am familiar with FB groups but we have at least half of this seniors oriented group who do not have, nor will get a FB account. From my knowledge it appears that you need a FB account to be able to join a FB Group... correct? Otherwise I'd set up a Private FB Group and I'm sure things would be ok with them to move forward.

I know of Flickr and other services, but we would like to keep this a private group (paranoia and other reasons) and really have zero budget to join an online gallery host.

Initially we would like to use it for purposes of:
    • posting club photos
    • posting news of club events
    • setting up a Photo Club archive of photos
    • ability to comment on photos and keep a string of comments on the posted photos going where applicable
    • site maintenance without a lot of work (once it's set up)

Any suggestions?

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Smugmug?

There's a yearly fee, but it's not that bad. I've been using them since 2007. If you need a coupon for a discount off your first year, let me know.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  4. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

Hi DoofClenas... I looked at SM too but believe it or not even their plans are beyond our club's budget! scary I know, but true... guess I'm looking for a free option... like FB would be but without the requirement of being a FB account holder.

5. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

HI PDK42... same story as above... no funds for even that small amount. I have my own CMS site where I could build a subdomain for the club... but what if I decide my days of photography with that club are over? I'm looking for an independent place to set something up... is there an alternative to FB that doesn't require setting up an account, rather just require an email registration... and last time i looked wix used Flash... and that would turn off the Mac users in our club, myself included.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If free is a major concern, I think you'll have to lift some other constraints. Flickr is probably your best route.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    40 members = $1 per member per year for unlimited photos and videos...tough to beat.

But...if that's not an option, then likely it's either a closed group on Facebook or Flickr.