1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What Olympus do you recommend photographing moving subjects?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 2mnycars, Sep 18, 2015.

1. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    My Oly O.mD M5 is sold to a happy new owner

Should I get an M1?

Dave
    no Oly in Toronto :(

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    What kind of moving subjects? E-M1 or the latest Panasonic with DFD should be the better options.

3. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Toddlers. Running dogs off lead

4. Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2015
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Bob Rockefeller
    Well, following fast action is not one of any m4/3 cameras strengths. Having said that the E-M1 is reasonably good at that with it's PDAF pixels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Phocal had good luck shooting jumping and swimming dogs with his e-m1. Fast focusing lenses help. Large apertures help with low light focusing. I've done okay shooting my girls lacross games. Keeper rate wasn't D4S high, but I got plenty of good shots.

Random, fast motion is tough with any camera. Not a strength of m43, but e-m1 would be best.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The lens is more important than the body.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Were you happy with the E-M5 for these tasks? If so, just about any recent body will do fine. if not, I'd get an E-M1.

If you have Panasonic lenses, the DFD in the G7 and GX8 may be something to look at.

8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    For shooting action the only camera I would use is the EM1. With none of the other models having PDAF they are just not as good at continuous focus as the EM1 is. I have had great success shooting action with my EM1 and ZD 50-200 SWD and from what I hear using the 40-150 Pro on the EM1 is even better. One day I will get the 40-150 and find out for my self. Here is the thread I started after shooting at the airshow: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/70408/ Here is the thread I started about my experience shooting the Dock Dogs competition (which was after firmware update 3 which improved C-AF): https://www.mu-43.com/threads/74463/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think it's important to say that shooting moving targets is about the percentage of good shots you get. Numbers like 60%, 80% or 90% can be considered good depending on the subject.
    This is an old thread about the E-M5 with the 75-300 (a lens with an average fast AF):

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/28126/

On this site, of a member of this forum @GRID@GRID, you can find many great samples with GH1, GF-2, E-M5 and even PowerShot S5 (with the 45, 75, 14-140, etc.).

http://www.3dluvr.com/grid/

So the E-M5 can shoot moving subjects, it's more a matter of how easy and fun it can be.
    Also technique and practice matter a lot, choosing the right mode depending on the specific situation, etc. This for running dogs, for toddlers I think any camera/lens will do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Skill and technique more important than lens and lens more important than body. :biggrin:

Anyways, if I wanted to shoot fast moving action and wanted to stay with m43, my choice would be the E-M1 with a fast AF lens. Having said that, I don't think there's a huge difference between my current E-M5 Mk.II and my previous E-M1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks everyone. Problem is the choice I made. Henry's in Brampton misrepresented the camera. I am glad I kept my D300S. They said the M5 was an absolute DSLRs replacement.

Its not when I use it.

Great posts here. great community.

I am looking for a replacement.

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Agree. If you were going to stick with Olympus, I'd concur with E-M1 and the Pro lenses, like the 40-150 Pro. I get pretty good results with the adapted 50-200 SWD too, but I think the 40-150 Pro would be even faster.

13. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    try spy lenses.... They are really good at tracking subjects :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Question... For the EM1, when PDAF sensors active? Does the body automatically switch between contrast and phase?

Mostly interested in using it with the 12-35, 35-100, 100-300 panasonic lenses... does that matter on the Olympus EM1. Currently shooting with the EM5 mark I. The AF performance on moving subjects is the only thing that bothers me about it...

15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Others have researched this more, but I believe the EM1 uses PD-AF exclusively when shooting with adapted 4/3rds lenses. At least that's the case with my Zuiko 50-200. I think it uses PD-AF in conjunction with CD-AF when using native MFT lenses on C-AF. On S-AF, it uses CD-AF with MFT lenses. I presume the same happens with those Panasonics, as they're all native MFT lenses. Others have said that the software in the body decides when to switch and Olympus is a little cagey about the details. Perhaps they're considered proprietary information. More knowledgeable people can correct or verify. The question is, does whatever the camera decides work?

Yeah, my EM5 was lousy at C-AF, especially C-AF TR. But, I shot mostly with S-AF anyway with native MFT lenses and it was fine. I dunno if a firmware update would improve on that for the Mk. I, but Olympus has not seen fit to provide any upgrades for it for a long time. :-(

Sometimes, I've resorted to manual focus and pre-focused to get the action shot. This was true especially during airshows on cloudy/overcast days when the AF is hunting or for sports action. For we oldtimers who hail from the old 35mm SLR days, there was no such thing as autofocus or even autoexposure. You had no choice but to pre-focus and wait for the right moment. And, you wouldn't even know until the film was developed whether you got it right or not. Imagine that! :-O

Anyway, it helps to practice those old skills sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  16. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The Nikon D300(s), 700, and newer models are some of the best available. Of course those cameras did or do cost considerable more when new than a m4/3s!

But near to what @tyrphoto@tyrphoto stated, skill and technique are very important. There is not much I have not been able to capture since starting with E-410 then on to the E-30, E-5, E-M5 and E-M1. But I did have to experiment and practice to get the best out of them that I think they an provide.

An alternative is just buy a Nikon D4s. Oh, did mention that is about $6500 new! BTW - don't forget the lenses.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The one with the highest shutter speed :biggrin:

18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup... i am an old timer so to speak... my primary camera is still a manual focus camera and I do shoot moving subjects with it. However, this is a modern system built around AF. If I intended not to take advantage of the system, I would still be shooting film with an old camera. I am also coming froma Canon 1d, which had one of the best AF in its time.... i dont expect that type of performance out of this system butmit would be nice to have a CAF that is useable.

There are some settings that make the em5 a bit more usable but it is still set SAF and pump the focus. Its ok... but still feels like a bandaid.

I just trying to get a sense of how effective the em1 is with regards to its newer AF system... some used ones are dropping into range.

19. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Here's what Olympus says about PD-AF and CD-AF sensors with M43 lenses.
    http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/em1/feature5.html

I can state unequivocally that the EM1 is far better than the EM5 in CAF. I would certainly say its usable. I've used it on my EM1 with both a 40-150 R and the adapted 50-200 SWD and it worked very well to get shots of kids playing soccer. Other people have posted examples in various threads here getting good results using CAF on the EM1 with the v3.x update.

Here's some of my examples. https://www.mu-43.com/threads/39832/page-5#post-817753

Whether it's good enough for you is something only you can decide. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1