1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What Olympus camera is this a partial photo of? (taken from latest Oly email)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pxpaulx, Jan 23, 2013.

1. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    So I was reading through the Olympus email newsletter and noticed this partial top-down image, shown on the right below. It isn't an xz-2 (buttons are not the same, no switch next to the lens either and the grip is different). I checked out the compact current micro 4/3 camera images and all of the current models have the mode dial to the left of the shutter. So what gives, is this a new model?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If this needs to go in the rumors section feel free to move it!

3. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I believe it says "Olympus XZ-2" right on the pop-up flash

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    there are strong rumors of an XZ-10

K

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah but the smaller picture on the right isn't an XZ-2.
    Is it an XZ-1?
    Is it a new m4/3rds inside the body of an XZ with a fixed zoom lens?
    No "A" mode on the dial, hmmm.

6. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    He is asking about the partial picture of a camera, not the full picture. The full picture is there to show that it is not the XZ-2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Looks like the product shots of the XZ-2 to me, the product shots at Olympus looks very similar to the partial photograph... I do notice a few small differences, the mode dial is different.

And Oly offering a rebate so perhaps they about to announce a new camera, especially since their facebook page says there will be an announcement soon.

Oly XZ-2

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I did find something new (it isn't an xz-1 or older m4/3 camera either, I checked those as well)! I did see that rumor, I'm also thinking probably a good chance this is it (no A or S mode is kinda strange).

9. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :doh: -- looked too quickly

But it also has a zoom rocker switch, so it's gotta be a pocket cam, no?

10. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I also like that the text in the mailer right next to the dial without the A and S modes says

"Shooting More than Auto: A Look at P, A, S & M
    Want to shoot blurred waterfalls or traffic light trails, but don’t know how? The trick is to use your camera’s P, A, S & M modes. Plus, learn how Program Shift can be used to adujst your Aperture and Shutter Speed while in P mode."

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Haha, that is funny. It was the picture for a linked article...the camera used in the article was an e-pl1, here is the linked article:

Shooting more than Auto: A look at P A S M

12. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Also -- what does the "Magic" mode setting do? And there's also a sweep pano setting. I think this is not real. But, I would like a "magic" mode on my camera!

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The picture I posted on the left in the original post is the xz-2 from the same angle - definitely not the same camera - different mode dial, no video recording button, different grip, no button next to the lens on the front, different top plate contouring.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If it isn't real then it must only exist in a magical place known as the Olympus R&D lab.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The even MORE magical place is the Olympus Marketing lab (though I hear they've lost the magic beans which allow you to climb up there)

16. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Which is why I said similar, not the same ;) 

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm hoping for a fixed lens mFT sensor based camera. That would be absolutely fantastically be pimptastic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010

Except, when I looked at the linked article, I saw what looks like an E-PL1 back, but then it doesn't look exactly right either...

All the E-PL1 bodies I've ever seen used silver buttons instead of black buttons. And they weren't shiny. Is this a missing link in the E-PL family?

19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    oh yeah i just meant the camera in the article was an e-pl1, but it isn't the same as the half photo i posted.

20. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    This reminds me of the old joke about the fella that put his car in R for RACE!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.