1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What Olympus camera is this a partial photo of? (taken from latest Oly email)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pxpaulx, Jan 23, 2013.

1. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    So I was reading through the Olympus email newsletter and noticed this partial top-down image, shown on the right below. It isn't an xz-2 (buttons are not the same, no switch next to the lens either and the grip is different). I checked out the compact current micro 4/3 camera images and all of the current models have the mode dial to the left of the shutter. So what gives, is this a new model?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If this needs to go in the rumors section feel free to move it!

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I believe it says "Olympus XZ-2" right on the pop-up flash

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    there are strong rumors of an XZ-10

K

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah but the smaller picture on the right isn't an XZ-2.
    Is it an XZ-1?
    Is it a new m4/3rds inside the body of an XZ with a fixed zoom lens?
    No "A" mode on the dial, hmmm.

6. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    He is asking about the partial picture of a camera, not the full picture. The full picture is there to show that it is not the XZ-2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Looks like the product shots of the XZ-2 to me, the product shots at Olympus looks very similar to the partial photograph... I do notice a few small differences, the mode dial is different.

And Oly offering a rebate so perhaps they about to announce a new camera, especially since their facebook page says there will be an announcement soon.

Oly XZ-2

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I did find something new (it isn't an xz-1 or older m4/3 camera either, I checked those as well)! I did see that rumor, I'm also thinking probably a good chance this is it (no A or S mode is kinda strange).

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :doh: -- looked too quickly

But it also has a zoom rocker switch, so it's gotta be a pocket cam, no?

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I also like that the text in the mailer right next to the dial without the A and S modes says

"Shooting More than Auto: A Look at P, A, S & M
    Want to shoot blurred waterfalls or traffic light trails, but don’t know how? The trick is to use your camera’s P, A, S & M modes. Plus, learn how Program Shift can be used to adujst your Aperture and Shutter Speed while in P mode."

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Haha, that is funny. It was the picture for a linked article...the camera used in the article was an e-pl1, here is the linked article:

Shooting more than Auto: A look at P A S M

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Also -- what does the "Magic" mode setting do? And there's also a sweep pano setting. I think this is not real. But, I would like a "magic" mode on my camera!

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The picture I posted on the left in the original post is the xz-2 from the same angle - definitely not the same camera - different mode dial, no video recording button, different grip, no button next to the lens on the front, different top plate contouring.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If it isn't real then it must only exist in a magical place known as the Olympus R&D lab.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The even MORE magical place is the Olympus Marketing lab (though I hear they've lost the magic beans which allow you to climb up there)

16. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Which is why I said similar, not the same ;)

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm hoping for a fixed lens mFT sensor based camera. That would be absolutely fantastically be pimptastic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010

Except, when I looked at the linked article, I saw what looks like an E-PL1 back, but then it doesn't look exactly right either...

All the E-PL1 bodies I've ever seen used silver buttons instead of black buttons. And they weren't shiny. Is this a missing link in the E-PL family?

19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    oh yeah i just meant the camera in the article was an e-pl1, but it isn't the same as the half photo i posted.

20. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    This reminds me of the old joke about the fella that put his car in R for RACE!