What Olympus camera did you start with?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A Olympus D220L digital camera with 350,000 pixel CCD sensor.

Same here. Got it in February of 1998, a birthday gift from my wife. For what it was, it actually took fairly good photos if you had good light for such an early digital with a very small resolution (only 640x480). Of course in true Olympus fashion, like the later xD cards that replaced them, Oly used SmartMedia cards which were very expensive, limited in storage capacity, and not as readily available at many retailers as other more popular flash cards types.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My first Olympus was an OM-1. I later owned a Pen F (film) and Pen FT, OM-G, Infinity P&S (weatherproof!!!), C-150 digital P&S (more like a "POS" :laugh:) and finally my E-M10.

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
My first back in the '70s was a Trip 35 and then I graduated to an OM 10 - My first digital was an E410
2 lenses kit - I have been an Olympus fan ever since except for a brief period with a Panasonic DC-G9
which I just couldn't get along with and soon sold in favour of an EM1- Mkii -

It must've been around 2000/2001 when I bought my first own camera and it was an Olympus digital point and shoot camera, most likely a D-340R or D-360L. Just a bit later I stumbled over a decent ebay deal with a used Olympus C-2100 UZ, which was completely different beast.
Then I switched over to a DSLR system with a Nikon D70.

It wasn't until mid 2015 when I got my next Olympus camera, the original E-M1, because I found the Nikon kit too bulky and heavy.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
later I stumbled over a decent ebay deal with a used Olympus C-2100 U

That one being notable because I believe it was the very first Oly with image stabilization. Oddly after that it took a long time (and many models) before IS was re-introduced to their cameras. I recall a rumor it was because the C-2100 used a system licensed from another company and Oly didn't want to pay the license fee anymore and so took a while for them to develop their own IS system. Not sure how factual that is, but it makes for a nice little story so I am sticking with it! :p

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That one being notable because I believe it was the very first Oly with image stabilization. Oddly after that it took a long time (and many models) before IS was re-introduced to their cameras. I recall a rumor it was because the C-2100 used a system licensed from another company and Oly didn't want to pay the license fee anymore and so took a while for them to develop their own IS system. Not sure how factual that is, but it makes for a nice little story so I am sticking with it! :p
There were 3 cameras with similar specs and IS (Olympus, Sony, and Canon). Canon was the one with the patents. Whether it was Olympus/Sony did not want to pay the license fee, or Canon just decided not to offer it any more, who knows.

Note, the C-2100UZ had lens based stabilization, much like Panasonic uses. The Olympus solution is to use sensor shift stabilization that is similar to the anti-shake mechanism that appeared in the Minolta DiImage A1. Minolta was then purchased by Konica and had the stabilization in their DSLRs. Konica in turn was purchased by Sony.

If memory serves, the Olympus E-510, E-410, and E-3 DSLRs were the first cameras to support sensor shift stabilization.

rameshiyer

New to Mu-43
I started my DSLR journey with Olympus E-500 in 2007 and continue to use Olympus system since then.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
E-P1. I looked at the E-6xx series, but went Canon Rebel instead at that time. It wasn't until m43 market innovation in mirrorless that I jumped on Oly. Stepped off, though, at the EM5.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If memory serves, the Olympus E-510, E-410, and E-3 DSLRs were the first cameras to support sensor shift stabilization.

I believe the E-4x0 series, besides being smaller, were the more budget options and compared to the E-5x0 series, did not have IS. So one of those decision agonizing features popular in discussion groups back in the day if it was worth the extra money to get IS or not.

As I recall (I had the E-520), the E-510 added IS but basic single mode and the E-520 added some panning modes to it, so ON/OFF, then portrait or landscape panning which turned off the IS in the axis you were panning along.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I believe the E-4x0 series, besides being smaller, were the more budget options and compared to the E-5x0 series, did not have IS. So one of those decision agonizing features popular in discussion groups back in the day if it was worth the extra money to get IS or not.

As I recall (I had the E-520), the E-510 added IS but basic single mode and the E-520 added some panning modes to it, so ON/OFF, then portrait or landscape panning which turned off the IS in the axis you were panning along.
You may be right. I never used the E-410/E-420 except as a test in the store (and the E-400 was not available in the USA). The E-600 and E-620 models that were roughly the same form factor did include IS.

I had had the C-2100UZ and loved the stabilization.

When it was time to upgrade to a DSLR, I looked at the Konica-Minolta DSLR which had sensor shift stabilization and the Olympus E-1. I was horrified when reading the K-M forums that it took users 2-4 times to buy and return cameras to get one to work.

Meanwhile over in the Olympus forum, it was replete with tales of I was shooting under a water fall, and every thing was fine after I dried off the gear and my dog pissed on my camera bag, and after thoroughly rinsing off the camera under a sink, it worked fine. So I decided, that I didn't need IS, but having a camera that everybody liked and was tough was important.

I would carry the E-1 + 14-54mm mark I lens for the close stuff, and the good old C-2100UZ for the long range stuff.

When the E-510 was announced, I went for it to get stabilization (but lose weather sealing). Unfortunately the E-510 was a mixed blessing. Yes it had sensor shift IS, but the metering and colors were somewhat jarring from my previous Olympus cameras. It tended to be a little cool compared to the previous cameras. Eventually I (and others in the forum) came to the conclusion that the metering was off at ISO 100. If I used ISO 200, it was a little noisier, but the Olympus signature blue returned. Olympus also added a new option for ESP metering and made it default. If I went into the 2 level sort-of hidden menu and turned off that option, I had a lot less burn-out of skys.

So when the E-3 was announced, and I could afford to do the upgrade, I bought an E-3, and later sold the E-510.

The E-5 was the last of the DSLRs that I bought. It had a number of improvements over the E-3 (cross shaped phase detect auto focus sensors, being able to focus in live view mode, being able to record movies were the 3 things I did use). I have used the E-5 from time to time. Until I got the E-m5 mark III, it was the best camera to use my 50-200mm mark I lens.

Steveee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
My first Oly was the AZ-300 Superzoom, which I won in a prize draw as part of a Jacobs photo event in Sheffield about 1988. Available on eBay for about £20 or less. No idea what they cost new! (Any ideas?)

It was a bit bulky but a massive step up from the point and shoot I’d had previously.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
XA2. Carried it in my fanny pack in 1990 as I followed the Tour de France

1617656024617.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I really wanted an E-420 to pair with the 25mm f/2.8 pancake. But. after seing the sketchy autofocus performance while trying out the pair at B&H, I held off. I had already bought a Panasonic G1 by the time I bought an Oly E-PL1. It was a great camera. But the rear EVF was completely unusable in bright sunlight, so it didn't last very long. It was followed by an E-PM2, EP-3, E-M5, E-M1, E-M1 II, Pen F and EM5 III. I'm not sure if it stops there.

EDIT: I only own the last three cameras right now.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran

As my cameras are tripod mounted for the serious stuff I went for the smaller E-410. The fourth shot I took with it was used in a tourist guide. A camera magazine wanted to use the 11th shot taken with it after seeing it online. When I enquired about usage rates I was told they didn't pay for photos. Needless to say they didn't get to use it.

My first Olympus was an OM1 and silvernose OM Zuiko 50mm lens in the summer of 1976.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom