What Oly TTL Flash Is Most Popular Here?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Aqualung, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    Hey guys, tired of trying to dial in my Nikon SB-800 - gonna get an Olympus TTL flash. Just curious, what do folks prefer? The Olympus FL-600R Wireless Electronic Flash or the Olympus FL-50R TTL Shoe Mount Flash for my EM-1? I'm happier to stay Oly for my flash....

thanks,

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    i love my FL600R. i hope to buy another.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I get a lot of mileage from the FL300s (I generally use 2 of them) but when I need more power the 600 is enough. Have not found the need for the 50.

I have, on occasion, used 2x300 and a 600 along with a slaved Vivitar 28 something or other from 1970's all at the same time!

And I'm a natural light snob mostly.

Pretty sure the 50R is functionally the same as the 600R except higher GN - not just hot shoe as your description suggests.

I like the FL300R because it fits unobtrusively into my bag. Otherwise I have to bring my "flash kit" which is a whole 'nother separate bag.

4. LensWork

LensWork Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 9, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    I have the FL-600R and I have been happy with it. A bit more power would be nice, but anything physically larger would be out-of-balance on the OM-D E-M1, so it is the best compromise in my opinion.

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    Thanks guys....sounds like the 600 does well, maybe no need to spend the $$$ on the 50...

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's also the DMW-580L which is the new m4/3 flagship with all the bells and whistles.

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    Wow, even more $$$ than the Oly FL-50R - will that do TTL on the M-1? B&H says " shoe-mounted unit compatible with Panasonic TTL", doesn't say Oly TTL.

8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    We really need a Flash FAQ sticky, I keep meaning to write one but I never seem to find the time. There is a ton of good info out there on this topic but it is all over the place

All the 4/3 & m43 first party flashes have the same spec, and they are all capable of TTL attached to the shoe (with one exception the Kodak flash which does not adhere to the m43 spec).

Other than the obvious differences around guide # and recycle speed the primary difference is whether they can use the wireless RC functions. Any of the Olympus 4/3 flashes with the "R" can be controlled remotely. The non-R flashes only work in the hot shoe or via a cable. The 600R is the only flash other than the little built in flashes that can act as a remote commander.

If you only want to use the flash in the hot shoe or via a cable and you want lots of light, the FL50 is a great value used.

Personally I have a FL600r and two fl36rs. My oldest son has an E-PL2 and an FL36, he only uses it on the camera and it works great.

I am not really familiar with the Panasonic flashes although most of them appear to be virtually identical to the Olympus ones. The new DMW-580L looks to be very interesting, it seems to be an updated FL50r.

One thing to be aware of about the FL600r, the LED light acts as the active slave notification and it is very bright, really annoyingly bright. The FL36r and FL50r both use red LEDs which seem to be more appropriate.

HTH

• Like Like x 1
  9. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Just FYI, Oly FL-600R and Panasonic FL-360L look like they're the same unit.

And right now on B&H, the Panasonic version's $70 cheaper ($299 vs. $229).

10. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    Good info, thanks guys...