What Now?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by snkenai, Feb 13, 2014.

1. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Starting over, with an almost clean slate. Selling almost all my gear. Kept a couple of OM mount lenses, (one of them is the OM 50mm, f3.5 macro) at least for now. Due to fixed income, that allows for very limited money, for my lifelong photography "habit", I will have to buy used. I almost always have and do.

Now for some criteria requirements/limitations on choices.

Just cannot move back to a sensor smaller than m4/3.
    Don't really need or want anything shorter or longer than 28mm - 135mm equiv.
    I have been shooting with 24/25mm and 50mm (mostly the 50mm), on 4/3 and mostly content with them.
    Due to aging eyes, I need very good viewing, LCD, etc. Flip up would be nice, but not required. I mostly shoot with the LCD, even when I have a VF.
    I love close-up, macro work.
    And here is the biggest obstacle (other than money:smile: ). My hands are becoming arthritic and jerky/ twitchy, when making precise movements, such as camera adjustments, mouse movements etc. So, camera controls need to be usable with thin gloves, which then makes easier for my old hands. And for the same reasons, too light in weight, makes it impossible to hand hold steady. So, I mostly shoot with tripod, mono pod, or "locked down" on some steady surface.
    I don't usually walk and carry equipment, more than an hour. Almost never carry a bag, although, I will sometimes use one to leave in the vehicle.

I've been looking back over the last several cameras that I have owned, to try to determine which meets those requirements, and there are not many, even close. My wife's Panasonic GF5, with the Olympus 14-42 IIr, is a cute and very capable tiny bundle that I some times use in a pinch, Just is not an option, Too small and fiddly for the old stiff hands.

This, is not so much a cry for help, as a discussion of "starting over", within strict limitations. I have kept abreast of the camera market, and trends. There are many choices, but limited options, when you put specific limitations in place.

If physical and financial limitations, suddenly (or not so suddenly) caused you to rethink your photography "needs", where would you look? (there is, just no thinking about, not doing photography, as long as possible:smile: )

Thoughts?

2. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    UK
    Colin B
    If the GF5 is too fiddly, perhaps something from the G series (e.g. G5, G6) ?

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    For MFT, you might try finding a used G5. Good sensor, easier to hold and control thanks to the ergonomic design. I've seen them used or refurbed with the kit lens for $350 and under. Or sometimes with the 45-150 lens added in for around $430.

Aside from MFT, the Sony A-3000 might work too.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Tough question...if small and fiddly is a problem, I'd seriously consider an SLR, or SLT (Sony's transulcent mirror systems), which can be found for decent prices. Mirrorless isn't the best for everything. Alternately, an E-M5 (if you can swing it) with its IBIS and dials should work pretty well, although a lot of the function buttons are annoyingly tiny. It's not an easy balance to strike - in a few years, an E-M1 would probably fit the bill very well, for example.

5. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    I have owned several DSLRs and am considering another. Did I also add, that I am a "pixal peeper"? :biggrin: For close-up, I like a very detailed, clean look.

6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    A GF1 with the panasonic leather case?
    It's a lot bigger and heavier than the GF5 unless you are going to do alot of indoor low light photography. I mention this because all the basic functions are assigned to buttons and I find it easier to use than my E-PL5 and G5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  8. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    G5 should be available cheap(ish). The new Olympus EM-10 is really tempting me as well, lots of features and usability for ~$650, and just released. I'm really hoping we see the price go down a little in the near future.

10. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    SO, What Now?

Not going to believe what I actually bought. I wouldn't have. But the price was so right, that I just could not resist. E-pm1! Yep. And, I am really surprised at how well I like it. No, it's not the end-all answer for my picky likes and dislikes. But with the OM 50mm f3.5 macro wearing it, I am back to functionality. I'm actually going to recommend one to my 19 year old granddaughter. The two buttons-wheels, on the E-p3, that aggravated me the most, are better on the E-pm1. The on/off, and control/rocker wheel.
    So, come on Spring! :smile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Looking good there.

Tell me, with my own E-PM1 arriving any day, what is the technical/make name of that wee grip on the front of the camera?

The one I bought doesn't have it and I'd like to know what to search for.

12. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    It says: "Flip bac G2". It really helps. It was on it when, I got it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    This is interesting, well as I have fybromyalgia and the on set of arthritis information might help in the future.

14. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    As we age and develop more human aliments, we have to adjust and adapt, or give up. Give up is not an option, if we want any kind of life. My daddy was a little man. We were farmers with man and mule power. He would say, "son, find a way, but get it done." "I don't want to hear you say, I can't."

I am actually getting better, cleaner pictures, since I've had to "adapt" my shooting methods. When I thought I was very steady, I wasn't quite as good as I thought. My keeper rate wasn't all that great. I don't take as many now, but the "clean" rate is up.

The nearest tree, post, car, rock or shoe, is my friend, even while using a collapsible mono-pod. But over half of my shooting is with a cheap light tripod, with quick release leg adjusters and ball head, with a focusing rail. (I like close up and macro) Both of mine were a cheap units with plastic "pan heads" Throw that mess away. Put a decent ball head on (less than $20.00 on ebay), and your in business. I take out the center column and use a piece of 3/8" all-thread, washers and nut to mount the head. Makes a lighter, steadier, stronger setup.

Get it done. And, have fun! :smile:

15. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I carry around my Manfrotto ART 134 monopod which has the quick release on a ball head.

The thing is built like a scaffold pole - no chance of anyone trying to snatch my kit. Aye it's heavy but the sheer peace of mind while wandering around Glasgow outweighs the (ahem) weight.:thumbup: