What Noise Reduction do you use?

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been a loyal user of Imagenomic's Noiseware noise reduction software for several years. Although not the most aggressive, I find it retains more fine detail compared to other products.

Noise Ninja is more aggressive, but I found that it destroys too much fine detail.

Would you be so kind as to share your experience with the products you use for noise reduction?

Thanks

walt_tbay

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been a loyal user of Imagenomic's Noiseware noise reduction software for several years. Although not the most aggressive, I find it retains more fine detail compared to other products.

Noise Ninja is more aggressive, but I found that it destroys too much fine detail.

Would you be so kind as to share your experience with the products you use for noise reduction?

Thanks

I Use LR3 to reduce noise. It seems to work OK :smile:

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
I use LR3 to remove colour noise. But generally I don't bother with luminance noise reduction. I find that noise is LESS distracting than the smearing and loss of detail NR gives when applied aggressively. If I do need it I'll use Nik Dfine to reduce noise locally rather than a global approach.

Gordon

banana101

Mu-43 Regular
Out of interest: how much does reducing noise actually matter? I've never really reduced noise in a photo, usually I do the opposite and add some for a grainy effect!

shinobi

Mu-43 Regular
I take pictures with noise filter off, and noise reduction at auto (only kicks ins at 1 second and slower, still important for night shots on a tripod).

I can then selectively clean out noise, if desired, using Dfine with Photoshop. The key word is selective, it's about control of your own picture.

For example, I can apply the noise cleaning on the blurred background only, not the main subject. Or some spots that need to be cleaned up a bit.

The smearing caused by the in-camera noise filter is high to my eyes, even at normal levels. What a waste to use sharp lenses if it's going to be filtered anyway across the whole picture.

However, not really a problem at all for in-camera noise filter if posting little pictures only on the internet and do not intend to do anything more with the picture.

Robert Spoecker

Mu-43 Regular
NoiseNinja Sample

Here is a sample of what NoiseNinja did with a previous image that I posted. It was done in the fully automatic batch mode. I do not know what else I could ask for in noise reduction.

NoiseNinja.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glenn S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use Topaz Labs Denoise 5 and am very satisfied with it, you can try it for free.

JohnMetsn

Mu-43 Veteran
Here is a sample of what NoiseNinja did with a previous image that I posted. It was done in the fully automatic batch mode. I do not know what else I could ask for in noise reduction.

I guess everybody has different preferences how they want their picture look after noise reduction. Just for reference I added to your picture one processed by LR3 by my preference :)

Attachments

• NoiseNinja.jpg
    NoiseNinja.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 225

Latest threads

Top Bottom