1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What Noise Reduction do you use?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Wasabi Bob, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've been a loyal user of Imagenomic's Noiseware noise reduction software for several years. Although not the most aggressive, I find it retains more fine detail compared to other products.

Noise Ninja is more aggressive, but I found that it destroys too much fine detail.

Would you be so kind as to share your experience with the products you use for noise reduction?

Thanks

2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I Use LR3 to reduce noise. It seems to work OK :smile:

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I use LR3 to remove colour noise. But generally I don't bother with luminance noise reduction. I find that noise is LESS distracting than the smearing and loss of detail NR gives when applied aggressively. If I do need it I'll use Nik Dfine to reduce noise locally rather than a global approach.

Gordon

4. banana101

banana101 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    London
    Out of interest: how much does reducing noise actually matter? I've never really reduced noise in a photo, usually I do the opposite and add some for a grainy effect!

5. I don't touch noise but then I am not a high ISO user. I agree with flash re: smearing being worse than noise.

6. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I take pictures with noise filter off, and noise reduction at auto (only kicks ins at 1 second and slower, still important for night shots on a tripod).

I can then selectively clean out noise, if desired, using Dfine with Photoshop. The key word is selective, it's about control of your own picture.

For example, I can apply the noise cleaning on the blurred background only, not the main subject. Or some spots that need to be cleaned up a bit.

The smearing caused by the in-camera noise filter is high to my eyes, even at normal levels. What a waste to use sharp lenses if it's going to be filtered anyway across the whole picture.

However, not really a problem at all for in-camera noise filter if posting little pictures only on the internet and do not intend to do anything more with the picture.

7. Robert Spoecker

Robert Spoecker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2010
    NoiseNinja Sample

Here is a sample of what NoiseNinja did with a previous image that I posted. It was done in the fully automatic batch mode. I do not know what else I could ask for in noise reduction.

NoiseNinja.

8. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I use Topaz Labs Denoise 5 and am very satisfied with it, you can try it for free.

9. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I guess everybody has different preferences how they want their picture look after noise reduction. Just for reference I added to your picture one processed by LR3 by my preference :)

Attached Files: