What next in photography ?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys .:smile:
    Hope every one is having nice time with cameras or without cameras . I was at a camera store yesterday and had a look at various cameras on display ... Small P&S to Mirrorless FF sony A7 , monster D800E to tiny minuscule GM1. In the last few years camera companies have churned out so many cameras and have given us many products . They manage to squeeze a FF into a small body and gave us a truly pocketable APS-C in form of Ricoh GR . This all should make me happy and more interested in photography but ... yes....but it seems my interest has diminished in photography products . I don't even bother to look at specs of any new camera . I have started to wonder that after offering us everything in a short span of time , what would be the next big thing in photography which will be revolutionary or game changer ? Any thoughts ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Bhupi hi long time no hear, I'll keep on shooting no matter what the gear is; or where these new cameras will lead us. I think the new products will continue to evolve to the hybrid (photo+video), and smaller sensors (like Micro 4/3s) will continue to catch up to their bigger cousins. DSLRs OTOH will reach its marginal prospensity to improve, although we shall expect more megapixels in the years to come?

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not qualified to give much of a technical answer, but it seems to me that one potential game changer could take us away from conventional photography a bit: 4K video. What I'm reading is that you'll be able to pull 8MP stills from 4K video on the upcoming Panasonic FZ1000. That can be done in-camera as you review the video footage. I see awesome examples on this forum of that being done with the GH4. Not sure if the FZ1000 will yield the same results, but if it does it can change how we capture action, or even more static scenes. The LX8 is rumored to be 4K capable as well (seems it'll be a Panasonic staple moving forward). I'd bet that Sony will be right there with them, with Canon and others getting on board as well.

Not sure how pure it will be to choose "the decisive moment" out of 60 frames shot in two seconds, but it does seem to have the potential to change how images are captured.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I'm sure I'll be left behind, I'm shooting 1 frame every few seconds LOL! :wink:

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Maybe it already happened and you just finished describing it. Cameras become so competent that gear heads become bored and move to other fields, and photography returns to its true owners: those with a priority on the message.

Literally a revolution, as in the completion of a cycle.

• Like Like x 4
  6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    im more interested in the future photos that im going to achieve with all the current great m43 gear than whatever new camera that possible will reach the market

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly may be . I have lost interest in cameras and not in photography . I think they all offer much more than my own capability .

• Like Like x 1
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I see 2 game changers on the technology front.

(1) This has already been mentioned. Taking stills from video shoot to capture moving action. It isnt quite there (imho) with the GH4 (although you can certainly get a decent frame grab). But we are only one or two generations away.

(2) The second is much increased dynamic range. This will be achieved by individual pixel exposure rather than global shutter exposure. It sounds very fancy and futuristic doesnt it. But the technology is already in commercial production today for security cameras up to 1 megapixel. I believe the company leading the way here is Pixim which was acquired by Sony about a year ago.

• Like Like x 2
  9. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I saw this happen in the early 80's or thereabout when there was a big upswing of people buying SLR cameras that within a couple of years were lying in the back of peoples cupboards and they were carrying little point and shoots. So I think you will see it go back to those interested in taking photographs, even the 5000 images a wk on a i phone will drop down. These things go in cycles I have seen it with HiFi as well, then people realise its not for them or they feel they can't make the next jump or the shinny shinny new thing did not do what they wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    When I think of how many pictures I go though now I shudder (shutter?) to think of what it will be like to go through video to pull individual frames out. Instead of hundreds on a typical day i will be looking at tens of thousands

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It is scary. When I shot with the Nikon V1 it was almost the same, firing off huge bursts of largely the same image. Picking one at random would've been fine, but of course I was like some obsessed idiot scrolling back and forth trying to find the needle in the haystack best image.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I want a camera that will do my dishes -- and laundry, preferably, but I'll settle for dishes.

It's the only technological advance I crave. All the others are welcome, but that's the one I will move heaven and earth to buy.

13. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Bhupinder, I'd suggest the best idea if you're feeling apathetic. Come up with a project that sounds interesting to you. Go out and do it.

F the Equipment, because it doesn't matter. Bodies are still going to try to upsell you on junk you don't need. Lenses will get better, but the ones you got still work great. All you need is a lens, and a box, and plan to use them.

• Like Like x 3
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    No cameras. Just SD cards with pictures already on them. Mostly of random people on the streets. You can also get them in B&W, but that will cost more.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've gone basically to one camera and three lenses (still debating what to do with the long zoom and cheaper zoom). I sold off all my M mount lenses and one 4/3 lens, and have no intention or real interest in what may come; what I have now is capable of doing anything that I want.

16. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You can get that now, it's called the internet. SD card not needed. :doh:

• Like Like x 1
  17. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
  18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Curved organic sensors with $100 lenses. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  19. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    There have been very few breakthroughs over the past 10 years vs what we've seen in the past few years. The sensor in the Fuji F30 in 2006 I thought was a breakthrough. As was the sensor and 5-axis in the OMD in 2012. I think the Sony full frame mirrorless is something special as well.

I think we're going to continue to see a lot software based changes like we have with cell phones over the past few years. There hasn't really been anything new in cell phone technology for several years except for miniaturization and software. I think they'll give smaller cameras fake bokeh like on the Pentax Q.

20. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    the next major breakthrough is sensor tech

When the Sony A7s ISO performance is standard in M43, smartphones have Ricoh GR IQ.

curved sensors is already coming, after that I dunno what else FF can do, just better ISO performance and resolving power which wouldn't surprise me if FF makers have to remake their lenses to justify the sensor.

that's not including DFD and/or improved AF performance all the way down the line and last of all

more efficient processors that are more battery efficient and bloody fast, that's if not another battery tech came along.

• Like Like x 1