1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What next after wide angle lens?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Olivier1559, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016
    Whitehorse, Canada
    Hi,
    I am the newly happy owner of the OMD-EM5 mark II with the 9-18mm Olympus lens.

I am wondering what lens I should get next?
    I was thinking Panasonic 42.5mm 1.7f or the panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4f. I had my eyes on the 45mm Panasonic Leica Macro for a while as well.

I am looking for a versatile lens that can produce great depth of field.

What are the limitation and advantages of 45mm vs 25mm?

I think I would enjoy a portrait lens, that can also do landscape and street close up. I am not too sure that the macro is very useful but It sounds so fun.

I am planing on renting the 35mm-100mm 2.8f to see If it is worth it or just stick up with primes.

Thanks for any advices

2. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    The P42.5/1.7 is an excellent lens. I really like its sharpness and recommend it without reservation. I would hold off on the 25 to see if you really miss having that FL in your kit. I do like it, but a lot of people manage just fine without it.

3. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Comparing 25mm to 45mm is easy. 45mm has 1.8x the magnification compared to 25mm. Shooting from the same location the area covered by the 25mm is 3.24 times that of the 45mm. To get a rough feel for this, simply engage the 2x digital teleconverter feature in your camera to see what a difference the magnification makes.

When framing the subject the same (being further away with the 45 compared to the 25) the 45mm can be used to get narrower depth of field and flatten the perspective (this provides more flattering portraits), the opposite of how your wide angle expands the perspective.

4. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Well there are several 45ish primes in the system and from what I have read they are all great (I do not own any of them). My money went for the Oly 60mm. I is slightly longer which works for street portraits/close-ups and for Semi tele landscapes. It is a great lens with very high IQ (in my opinion) and macro is super fun. I bought the Oly 60mm macro for UW macro shooting, thinking this was a specialty lens, but I am now using it for all the things you mention. It is in my bag 80% of the time as it is so versatile. A bonus is that it is weather sealed which would benefit you as well.

I would not go for the 25mm, I think the long end of the 9-18mm covers that just fine although it is a bit on the slow side.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Different focal lengths, in practical terms, will give you different perspectives for the same framing of the subject. In practice to keep the subject the same size you need to get closer or more distant and this affects the contents, relative sizes and proportions.
    These are few examples of what this means in practice:

http://www.gavtrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Compression-ALL.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/tcREr5B.jpg
    https://cdn.photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Perspective-Distortion.jpg
    http://cdn4.mcpactions.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/focallengtharticle.jpg
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/MCvYF.jpg
    http://williambeem.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/How-to-choose-a-lens.jpg
    http://genknews.vcmedia.vn/2014/1-i...20thuc-20nhiep-20anh-20-206-1407623940240.jpg

(these are 35mm equivalent focal lengths so you need to multiply by 2 the m43 focal lengths to make a comparison).

So with the 25mm and a 45 you'll get different images even when you have a lot of space to move around because you choose to take a wider view of the scene or because you change the distance from the subject.

Then you have the practical limitations: using a 45 indoor in tight spaces can be a problem, especially for group or full body shots. With a 25mm you can stay closer to the subject. The same for architecture: to take a whole building you need a wide lens or to go extremely far.

About the amount of isolation/background blur this depends on subject distance, background distance from the subject, aperture and focal length. In practice the 25/1.4, the 42.5/1.7 and the P35-100/2.8 on the tele end will give you a comparable isolation, more or less depending on the background distance. The longer focal length make up for the smaller aperture.

Street, landscapes and portraits are usually done with different lenses but it really depends on what you are after, the 45 could be ideal to isolate small elements in a wide landscape.

I think the 9-18 is already a perfect lens for classic street and landscapes, so maybe the 42.5 may be something different. On the other side the 25 is a more versatile lens good for about anything.
    The Pana 30/2.8 macro could be an option but the background blur will be less then the other options. The Oly 60 is an good portraits and macro lens.

One option is to get the P25/1.7 or O25/1.8 and the excellent Sigma 60/2.8. I do not think the P25/1.4 is worth the extra money unless you have some very specific reason to get it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For versatile and shallow DoF the 42.5 f/1.7 is hard to beat - a quick AF, close focus (not quite macro), wide aperture portrait range telephoto.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moula

Moula Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    For versatility M.Z 17/1.8 or M.Z 25/1.8. For shallow DoF M.Z 45/1.8 or M.Z 75/1.8. If you already have M.Z 9-18 and do not miss wider aperture, then M.Z 45 would be very good choice.

8. wjiang

Why only Olympus lenses? Other m4/3 lenses work fine too...

9. Moula

Moula Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    I prefer Olympus on Olympus and Panasonic on Panasonic. Just my feeling, no command.

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 42.5/1.7 will give you plenty of depth of field separation, and while not being a macro, it has closer focus capabilities than the other fast lenses in the system, going to 0.2x magnification, which can give you this:

16295028721_df12d78a5b_b.

(Taken with 14-140/f4 which also goes to 0.2x)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016
    Whitehorse, Canada
    Thank you so much for all the reply. I am glad I have chosen this forum.

I am covering wide angle with the 9-18mm so I guess It makes sense to jump to 45mm or even 60mm so I can isolate my subject with beautiful creamy background.
    I am a little bit scarred to buy Panasonic for the em5 mark II as some people experience rattling sounds.

If I can get the Panasonic Leica 45mm macro for the same price as the pana 42.5 1.7, which one should I get?

12. bmhome1

bmhome1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    The rattling sound is the Power OIS off. The module element snaps into active position powered on.

Same effect with Power OIS on the 45-175 zoom.

Not a defect, part of design.

Power OIS is much more effective than lower tier Mega OIS.

13. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016
    Whitehorse, Canada
    Can you hear it while recording videos?

14. bmhome1

bmhome1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Probably not, it's very quiet. Much less than focus motor (which is barely audible).

15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Personally, I would go for the extra speed of the f1.7 lens, which I find would increase the versatility of the lens more than the increased magnification of the PL45.

However, I do not have personal experience with either. I do enjoy macro lenses, but the only one that I have in that range is a 55/2.8, which I find gets more use these days than my 90/2.8 due to its more versatile focal length.

16. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I had the 45 1.8 its a great lens. I then upgraded to the 42.5 1.2 Noctricron and added the 25 1.4 which is another great lens. I felt for my shooting style and subjects I was missing something a bit wider, so I picked up
    the PL 15 1.7. I have to say since I have acquired it I have yet to use the other two lenses. Mind you I'm focusing more on my two small children and trying to get them both in the shot and in focus.

What I'm trying to say is that our cameras are tools that help us achieve what we are trying to do. Get the proper tools for the job at hand.

Looking at my kit PL 15, PL 25, PL 42.5 I would say that the 25 would be used the least bc I now have the 15. I also will go through phases where I'll only shoot with one lens at a time regardless of what event(s) I am at.

I think you can't go wrong having a wide, mid and portrait lenses. I love the trio I have.

Good luck.

17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I would go for the 42.5/1.7. The P45 is a "half macro" lens, it's magnification is 0.5x. The 42.5 magnification is 0.4x, not a big difference. A true macro lens, like the O60 or the P30, gives you a 1x magnification.

The speed difference from 1.7 to 2.8 is significant both for low light shots (like indoor) and for background blur.

Then macro is fun but "real" macro is quite hard to do because the depth of field is so thin that it may be quite frustrating or just challenging. With a 1x or 1:1 macro the magnification is quite strong, you can get so close that a coin get too big to fit into the frame.
    For casual macro 0.4x is very good and you can still crop a little to make it bigger.

The 42.5 is still a focal length barely usable indoor, with 60mm it gets hard to get anything but an headshot except in the wider rooms.

18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm pretty sure the PL45 is 1.0 magnification (1:1) while the 42.5/1.7 is only 0.2x, not 0.4x.

19. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    If you are trying for bokeh, the f/1.7 or f/1.8 lenses will give you significantly better isolation of subject and blurring of backgrounds than the f/2.8. Regarding macro capability, neither of the fast lenses can focus anywhere near 1:1 like the PL, but the 1.7 can get twice as close as the 1.8. Unless you're certain that you need your next lens to be capable of true macro work, go for the speed.

20. wjiang

The 3 m4/3 macro lenses (P30mm, PL45mm, O60mm) are all 1.0x macro lenses. The 4/3 ZD 50mm macro is the only vaguely related lens that's 0.5x. The P42.5mm is a 0.2x, which is pretty good until you realise that there is also the O12-40mm with 0.3x, O12-50mm with 0.36x, upcoming P12-60mm with 0.27x, etc. There are other routes to high magnification macro (I mostly do greater than 1.0x using a dioptre on the P45-175mm), but the P42.5mm is a generally useful lens.

• Like Like x 1