What new lens did you buy this week without getting divorced?

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
Today I bought the 45 F1.2 for $619 usd . Not sure if that's a good price but can't wait to compare it with my 75 F1.8.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I watch people try to hide their purchases from their spouses, and a lot of times it does not work. The first rule should be if you can't afford the new lens/camera/tripod, don't buy it.

My wife and I have developed a system that works for us. My wife is the office manager for a financial planner, and she does the joint credit cards, bills, and debit cards each month.

I have a debit card that I put in my money (an agreed upon amount) from the week. This card is separate from our 2 joint checking/debit cards. I am free to spend whatever is in the account without prior authorization. This account is linked with paypal and ebay. I also have a credit card that I can buy things (within reason) and pay over time. Each month when the bill for the credit card comes in, my wife asks me how much to pay off on the credit card, and I transfer that amount from the debt card back to the joint accounts,

So in general, if I'm paying off something already, such as the E-m5 mark III and 12-200mm lens that I bought in February 2020, I try to resist the urge to pile on more debt. In that mode, I aim for paying about 1/2 of the monthly allowance towards the credit card pay down. I maintain a spreadsheet to track current amounts and expected amounts during the month. When the card is paid off, I generally have this internal debate of do I want this new doodad enough that I am willing to commit to the next n months to paying 1/2 of my allowance to get the trinket. Sometimes the answer has been yes, a lot of times no.

Recently, I've been keeping purchases on the credit card to 1-2 months repayment.

There are a few things I put on the credit card, such as kickstarter rewards that don't have a fixed date of when the creator will take the money or just things that will be collected in the future.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
My wife is pretty observant, so I don't even try to hide my hobby purchases from her.
Plus, like Michael, she pays the credit cards, so she sees all the CC purchases.

If it is less than say $200, I just buy it.
If more, I either SIT on it (to try to let my urge to buy it settle down), or I clear it with her.

Real Name
Walter
We both work and pay into a joint checking account that pays for our joint Costco credit card as well as our bills. My wife watches over the joint checking account. Most of the time, the Costco card gets used for groceries and gas, as well as other joint expenses, like going out to dinner or making family purchases. However, I have and pay for my own credit cards, and those are what I use for purchases. She knows I buy stuff occasionally, because she sees me using it. But, hey, at least we don't go to Las Vegas every other month, like many Hawaii residents seemed to like to do (except during the pandemic). When she goes shopping, I don't object to her buying her clothes, shoes, and cosmetics. That's her kuleana and she pays for it. I also try not to go overboard, and in any case, 90% of my purchases are reconditioned or used. I hardly buy new. I don't try to hide my purchases, but I don't advertise them either. As Mark Twain said, "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
While I am all for equality of sexes, I do thing there are some differences... While men are much more prone to GAS on photo equipment, or on tools, women are very attracted by shoes and handbags...
So if my wife complains that I have bought a new drill, or a new lens, I can always remind her of her last shopping session where she got a new pair of shoes (or any other fashion acessory).
Works fine, as she tends to buy more often than me!

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I watch people try to hide their purchases from their spouses, and a lot of times it does not work. The first rule should be if you can't afford the new lens/camera/tripod, don't buy it.
Hiding anything from one's husband or wife seems stupid, especially big purchases like this. People shouldn't have to hide their biggest passions or hobbies from the one who is supposed to be the closest to them.

Refraining from buying things that one can't afford is an entirely different matter. I'm not married yet, but that doesn't mean I can spend money that I don't have, right?

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hiding anything from one's husband or wife seems stupid, especially big purchases like this. People shouldn't have to hide their biggest passions or hobbies from the one who is supposed to be the closest to them.

Refraining from buying things that one can't afford is an entirely different matter. I'm not married yet, but that doesn't mean I can spend money that I don't have, right?
Of course if you can't keep up with the credit cards or loans, etc. then eventually the whole house of cards will come tumbling down. While I imagine it is pretty bad if it comes down if you live alone, it would be worse if you bring down a spouse, and even worse if there are children involved. Similar stories are told all of the time about drugs, alcohol, expensive shopping trips, etc.

Once you get past just surviving, you probably need to figure out reasonable limit for the luxuries (there is a Heinlein quote from Time Enough for Love where the main character puts down a bunch of quips, and one of them is "Budget the Luxuries First"). Obviously you want to think about joint luxuries like vacations. But you do want to think about individual desires. I tend to think if there is a difference between the two spouses incomes, I feel both parties should be have relatively equal amounts to spend on individual interests. But this involves both parties being adult and spending within limits.

Last edited:

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
While I am all for equality of sexes, I do thing there are some differences... While men are much more prone to GAS on photo equipment, or on tools, women are very attracted by shoes and handbags...
So if my wife complains that I have bought a new drill, or a new lens, I can always remind her of her last shopping session where she got a new pair of shoes (or any other fashion acessory).
Works fine, as she tends to buy more often than me!
Finally! I generally never use credit cards and buy gear at half price. If I can't get a bargain I don't buy.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
My wife is blessed with extreme good luck. As if being married to me wasn't enough, she regularly finds brand new clothes, shoes and handbags at the back of the wardrobe.

I'm going to clean out the shed next week. Pretty sure there is a pair of Godox AD200s in there somewhere.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
My wife is blessed with extreme good luck. As if being married to me wasn't enough, she regularly finds brand new clothes, shoes and handbags at the back of the wardrobe.

I'm going to clean out the shed next week. Pretty sure there is a pair of Godox AD200s in there somewhere.
Hehe

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My wife buy new clothes every other day. Personally I don't buy things so often, but that compensates with the price of them :)

Just ordered the PL 8-18 lens. Maybe if I don't tell anything she won't notice? :)

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
My wife buy new clothes every other day. Personally I don't buy things so often, but that compensates with the price of them :)

Just ordered the PL 8-18 lens. Maybe if I don't tell anything she won't notice? :)
They are just lenses they look all the same to her....???

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Mine looses track after a while, so the grand idea is just to reach critical mass and add to that... :biggrin:

In reality, I started off in the M43 system with a somewhat decent sum after off-loading a couple of different Dslr systems and have traded somewhat within that bubble over the last few years with some additional money thrown in, when I passed the fifty year mark.

I also tend to get stuff either on sale or second-hand, so I am probably somewhat at break even currently, if I should need to sell off stuff.

As of now, I primarily indulge my curiosity in regards to older stuff, so the stakes are low and and the buying is normally in the two digit sums dollar-vise. :)

BruceRH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mine looses track after a while, so the grand idea is just to reach critical mass and add to that... :biggrin:

In reality, I started off in the M43 system with a somewhat decent sum after off-loading a couple of different Dslr systems and have traded somewhat within that bubble over the last few years with some additional money thrown in, when I passed the fifty year mark.

I also tend to get stuff either on sale or second-hand, so I am probably somewhat at break even currently, if I should need to sell off stuff.

As of now, I primarily indulge my curiosity in regards to older stuff, so the stakes are low and and the buying is normally in the two digit sums dollar-vise. :)
Same here on the critical mass. I picked up a mint Sony 90mm f2.8 macro on FM for $690 this week, an excellent deal IMHO. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a good used one or possible the newer Sigma 105. The package arrived while she was getting her hair done. I mostly buy used and if I don’t like or don’t use something, I sell it on for roughly the same amount. The bills are all paid, no debt, the 401k is maxed out plus I save on top of that. I have to spend the remainder on something!

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Lots of good advice here. I wish this thread would have been around years ago. If I may add a personal pointer, buying your mistress a polaroid isn't a good idea, for a variety of reasons.

Latest threads

Top Bottom