What new lens did you buy this week without getting divorced?

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've joked on this forum about being a little devious with photography purchases, but it's just for fun. I'm actually very open with my wife about all my purchases. She spends frequently on small value items, I spend less frequently on higher value items. We're both happy with that. If anything, she's actually a bad influence, she sometimes encourages me to spend on occasions when I'm maybe a little hesitant. Perhaps she just wants me to stop talking about whatever purchase I'm considering! I’ve started talking about the 8-25 😉

Last edited:

Brecht

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't understand this joke. Why would you pay luxury things (because that's what it is) for yourself from a common account? That's why you keep separate accounts. Maybe it's a generational thing.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I don't understand this joke. Why would you pay luxury things (because that's what it is) for yourself from a common account? That's why you keep separate accounts. Maybe it's a generational thing.
I'm not sure who you are addressing, but it's called "trust" ...

My wife and I have separate accounts and joint accounts. We both have full access to all of them.

We discuss major purchases prior to commitment to them.

Trust ...

Brecht

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not sure who you are addressing, but it's called "trust" ...

My wife and I have separate accounts and joint accounts. We both have full access to all of them.

We discuss major purchases prior to commitment to them.

Trust ...
Seems like we totally agree. I am just confused about couples who have only one joint account. And then proceed to hide things or be mad at each other for expensive purchases.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Funny that most of the posts on here are about home financial management (and an apparent tendency for the female of the species to be more interested in shoes and handbags: to be honest, I like shoes and handbags AND lenses, but spend vastly more on camera gear), more than it is about actual purchases!

Anyway, I had Covid lockdown GAS this week and finally bought a used Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 for a good price, because I don't have enough lenses already in this range 😉. Not to worry, my partner shared my joy, and hopefully I'll be able to sell two lenses in its place.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
8-25mm F4 is starting appear in stores, so I might get that really soon to complement my existing 12-100mm F4. After that, I will only need to get a macro lens, and then I will have all the m4/3 lenses that I need. I don't even have any girlfriends at the moment, so if the Olympus 100mm comes out next year then neither lens is likely to be grounds for a divorce.

fsi22

Mu-43 Regular
Put down my deposit for the 150 - 400 f4.5. My partner and I do our own thing with our money and don't bother with what the other spends. Bills are paid on time, we have a couple of joint accounts. One for holiday savings, another for our son's expenses. We also have our own savings for our individual goals.

leuallen

Mu-43 Regular
Not married so no problems. In the last couple of months I have gotten the 12-100, Pan 10-25, and 4/3 150 2.0. Bye bye lots of cash, hello lots of fun.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
No point not saying and as I frequently sell off stuff I have not used for an age the wife is fine, I don't make massive purchases though, the thought of buying the latest not much better than the last couple of generations and it devaluing big time winds me up big time. The only time I hide anything is gifts for her. That being said I know what I need photographically and its not high priced, the G3 sensor or later are more than good enough, along as the camera can shoot single shot one or more FPS without locking up and an eyelevel viewfinder. Lens wise a good set of the classic prime set and a reasonable standary to mild tele and I am set, none cost a relative fortune and I have far better than my minimum. I have to admit that I do like playing with different cameras and lenses and will frequently mess around with some camera lens for the fun of it.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've discovered Zip, & Afterpay. Brilliant inventions. No interest payable, & if you stick to their schedules there's no account keeping fees, it's better than taking the money out of my interest paying savings accounts, & you don't even miss the small installments coming out of your account each week. I only buy what I can easily afford mind you, but there's no point in being the richest corpse in the cemetery either

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I've discovered Zip, & Afterpay. Brilliant inventions. No interest payable, & if you stick to their schedules there's no account keeping fees, it's better than taking the money out of my interest paying savings accounts, & you don't even miss the small installments coming out of your account each week. I only buy what I can easily afford mind you, but there's no point in being the richest corpse in the cemetery either
Speedy, while I agree, be very, VERY, careful of those forms of financing.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Speedy, while I agree, be very, VERY, careful of those forms of financing.
For sure. Pretty sure it's safe to say I'm careful, financed my first house with a reducing line of credit rather than a traditional mortgage, still live interest free each month on the credit card even after paying the house off many many years back, works for me, but yeah, one could get themselves into a whole world of trouble if you weren't paying attention.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom