What Mysets do you use?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ray Tracer, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Ray Tracer

Ray Tracer New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Mysets offer a bewildering range of possibilities, and as a new E-M5 II owner, it's hard to know where to start.

What topics/subjects do you use Mysets for, and what settings do you use for them?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On my E-M1:
    1) C-AF, 9 FPS burst, shutter priority (default 1/500s), prioritise OIS over IBIS.
    2) Manual, RC mode flash, LV1 enabled, LV2 in bulb/time mode, S-AF+MF adjust.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have four Mysets - all assigned to the mode dial:

- "ART" - Aperture priority, single shot, back-button focus, small AF point, no face-detect. Used for general photography.
    - "SCN" - Aperture priority, single shot, focus on half-press of shutter, face-detect. Used for people.
    - "Three squares icon" (no idea what the hell that does!!) - Shutter priority, hi-speed, focus on half-press of shutter, AF area in centre. Used for stuff that moves.
    - "iAuto" - Manual, screen brightness on high, fixed ISO, small AF point, no face-detect. Used for daytime long exposures or Live Composite (with ND filter).

I could do with more - I need one for RC flash really.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I never understood why Olympus didn't just put a "C" on the mode dial, and then have a number of available "slots" in the menu to change between the different modes. On the GH4, Panasonic has a C1, 2, & 3 on the dial, and when on C3 the user can go in to the menu to select C3-1, C3-2, or C3-3.

This way Olympus users could still have customizable settings, without losing the ART filters or other things.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I have 3 (EM1). #3 below dies not apply to my EM5 - I don't shoot continuous AF with it.

1 is for my general day to day shooting.
    S-AF
    single servo
    Sharp -1
    Contrast +1
    Natural picture mode

2 is for B&W
    1:1 crop
    B&W picture mode

3 is for sports
    Similar to #1, but with C-AF and continuous high servo mode 9fps

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    On the E-M5 II, Myset 1 is my general walkabout mode, Myset 2 is geared more for action, Myset 3 is currently open and Myset 4 is devoted to legacy lens use. The settings in each are those I've found to suit my style in those circumstances and are thus nearly irrelevant to the question, which is, how many cameras do you want or need your E-M5 II to be? Mysets allow you at least four different cameras, each of which you have to learn to use. Learning on the E-M5 before it, I found it useful to ignore the Mysets until I developed needs and then populate (and continue to tweak) the Mysets to accommodate those needs. I found the Menu Directory table on pages 152-8 to be very useful. In a parallel universe, there are two custom settings on the D7100 and those I use for action and low-light action.

7. Myset 1: day to day shooting
    Myset 4: 5 images bracketed at 1 EV for HDR. This set linked to a Fn button.

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Myset 1: landcapes (2 second timer, ISO 200)
    Myset 2: landscapes with HDR (3 images if I like the jpg I will use the two low and high raw files to do HDR in LR)
    Myset 3: wildlife (ISO 800, center focus block, CAF TR, center weighted metering, etc)
    Myset 4: fast moving wildlife such as BIF (same as Myset 3 with ISO 1600)

I have programed all of our E-M1 bodes the same. You don't want to have learn anther person's camera body programming in the field.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Totally agree (not that I want all that ART, SCN nonsense, but C1, C2 etc would be so much more intuitive).

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Right now, 3, two geared for shooting fast action, one for HDR.
    1. Shutter priority, auto-ISO, C-AF tracking
    2. Shutter priority, auto-ISO, S-AF
    3. Exposure bracket.

by default I shoot aperture priorty in S-AF, so I don't see a point to assigning a myset for that, and manual shooting is not something I want/need to be able to 'flip' to at the push of a button, although I can see an argument for a 'tripod' setting (Manual, F 5.6, S-AF+MF, 2-second timer, base ISO). Maybe someday, if I can be bothered. First two are set to the buttons by the lens mount, exposure bracket to the fn button.

11. Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2015
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Bob Rockefeller
    I didn't know Mysets could set the mode normally set with a dial (M, A, S, etc.). How do you do that?

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You set up your camera the way you want your MySet to work (everything), then dive into the menu and assign the current settings to a MySet, and the MySet to a button.

So even though my camera was set to (e.g.) manual ISO, Aperture priority, F9.0, center point S-AF, single shot, the moment I tap the MySet button because something flashy and fast is happening, it's suddely in S, 1/1000 of a second, tracking AF, burst and auto-ISO. Tap the button again and it's back to where it was. Michael Reichmann over at luminous landscape actually did a nice write-up of how he's got his set up, which inspired my setup, just using slightly different settings and buttons:

https://luminous-landscape.com/best-new-camera-of-2013/

13. Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2015
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Bob Rockefeller
    So Mysets might have the camera in S mode even though e mode dial is on A?

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes. A little confusing, which is why I put them on the non-specific modes like iAuto.

15. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Myset 1 has my general purpose settings. Aperture priority, SAF, central focus point, face detect off, single frame rate with anti-shock, blah, blah, blah.
    On my E-M1 I have a myset for CAF. I don't recall all of the settings but S-Priority, 1/1000 as starting point, 9-point central block focus grid, everything basically set for shooting speed.
    I have one set up for exposure bracketing. It's basically myset 1 with bracketing and low-speed continuous shooting.
    Myset 4 is a copy of Myset 1 and I'll customize it on an as needed basis if I think I'm going to need access to certain kinds of settings.

16. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    1. Portrait: F2.8, Av-priority,Eye-detect AF, ISO200, Stabilized
    2. Long exposure: F7.1 , 10S, Manual, Manual Focus, ISO200, Stabilization off
    3. Sport'ish: F4.0, Tv-priority, C-AF center cluster, ISO640, Low FPS, Stabilization On

17. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I really got into MySets when I learned I could assign a MySet custom setup to my E-M10's Mode dial, but then got away from using them. However, recently, I realized they might be helpful when I'm doing street photography. Then, I typically use Aperture- and Shutter-Priority, whereas, normally, I shoot in Manual. I described my setup choices in a recent post: http://www.infotor.com/blog/revisiting-myset-use-with-my-e-m1-customization/.

18. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    If it were possible to change the name of 'myset1’ to the task it performs I would use it. Now I keep forgetting what is it myset1 or 2, etc is doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    None, because their implementation is so frustrating on an E-M5. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    To be honest, I've never really got my head around the Myset system on Olympus cameras, and so have never set anything up on both the EM1 and EM5 II, perhaps I should give it a go.

Problem is, as LowriderS10 said above, without being able to name them, I'd just forget what each one does.

In case I've missed it, rather than going in to the menus to select each Myset, is there a way to access each one externally. I've only seen a way to program a button to flick between 2 different Mysets, not being able to select each different one ?