What mount to get for EOS lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Wormwood, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I have my fathers old EOS lenses - he has moved onto P&S.

Is it worth getting a mount or should I be looking for legacy lenses.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7594784@N05/6834856305/" title="Canon lens by lordwormwood, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="Canon lens"></a>

Excuse the fast and dirty 3GS night shot.

Thanks in advance

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    You can't adjust the aperture on those lenses, and there is no auto focus with them, but you can manually focus them.

IMO, the 75-300 is a garbage lens anyway. It's soft on a Canon, it'll be mush on m43. The 18-55 is version 1, and is also a cheap lens, and will also suffer from softness. The 50mm is the Canon macro, and is a reasonably good lens, so that might be fun to play with, but again you can't control the aperture on that one, so when you shoot macro, you'll have a very narrow depth of field which will get frustrating.

If you sell them privately, you might get $30 tops for the 18-55 (if even that), maybe $75 for the 75-300 and the 50mm macro might get you a bit more. Here's a 50mm macro on Fred Miranda that was listed for just under $200. FS: Canon EF50mm f/2.5 Compact-Macro Lens - LNIB - FM Forums

If you can find a cheap EOS to m43 adapter, you could play with the 50mm macro, but I would instead recommend selling it, and use the money to get a native lens.

If you still want to play with a cheap macro, them look for a manual focus OM or FD macro. You'll be able to control the aperture, and it'll be a little cheaper than your EOS, so you can pocket a little bit of money (maybe $50).
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Neither of the lenses are particularly distinguished, but due to the loss of functionality there is no reason that I can think of where I would mount an EF or EF-S lens on a Micro 4/3 camera instead of an EOS camera body regardless of how good the lens is.

In Australian prices you might get around $60 for the 18-55mm, $120 for the 75-300mm, possibly up to $200 for the 50mm compact macro. The first two lenses were worth a bit more a few years ago but the volume of newer stabilised 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses on the market now has driven the prices of the earlier lenses down. With that money you get yourself a very nice Micro 4/3 lens with some money left over :wink:
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For $400 you can get an adapter that will fully adjust aperture on those lenses (ie, Redrock or Birger). Great idea for a collection of L glass, but these lenses are simply not worth that. I would start looking for legacy lenses...

For SLR mounts you can get lots of quality affordable glass in Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica, Konica AR, Minolta MD, M42 Screw Mount, Pentax K, etc.

However, you can also get smaller and often higher quality glass with rangefinder mounts, such as M39 LTM (Leica Thread Mount), Leica M, Contax RF, etc. The M39 screw mount will provide the cheapest, oldest lenses in this class.

Then there's also the option of Cine lenses, but they won't all fully resolve onto a Four-Thirds sensor, as they were made for film (which is much, much lower resolution than photographs).
  5. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you all for the response and info - I did think it was a bit of a longshot and you guys have just confirmed it for me.... that and the legacy looks that little more sexy (which is really beside the point of being stronger in the picture quality area :biggrin: )

Ok so its hunting a bit of L-Glass I go.

Cheers once more,

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You don't want to buy ANY Canon EOS lenses, even if they are L-glass; they just aren't worth mounting to our cameras. For $400 that you would need for a worthwhile adapter like Ned mentions, you can just buy a used Canon DSLR that will preserve autofocus and on-camera control of the lens, while giving superior sensor performance and better handling of the larger lenses. If you want to use L lenses, your best bet is to sell of your m4/3 stuff and switch to Canon EOS cameras. What kind of lenses are you looking for? We can probably just help to recommend you certain lenses in m4/3 mount that will suffice for what you want.
  7. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh I didn't mean Canon L-glass - nah something that is a tad more full bodied but refined.

It was more I saw them sitting there on the shelf so I thought I would put it to the Brain's Trust