1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What mode do you use when shooting from the hip?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dtchan, Sep 7, 2012.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Hi,

I'm having trouble setting up my OM-D to shoot from the hip (run and gun style). What I mean by that is not using the lcd screen and pick the focus points and shooting from the hip. Basically just walk around and shoot from the hip without looking at the camera screen.

I sometimes do this with the GF1 and the 12mm, and with the GF1 I can pick a single AF area but make that box fairly large and just put it in the center.

On the OM-D, the single AF area square is so small. If I choose the group target option I can make the square bigger, but it kind of randomly picks a spot from a group and I find it misses focus at times.

Just wondering if anyone else shoots this way and can share their thoughts or settings.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    When I shoot blind (not looking at the screen) from the hip, I pretty much always use the 12mm lens in zone focus mode (or hyperfocal if there's enough light). This new little 15mm f8 lens would be very good for this too in good light. That way you don't have to really worry about focus - just timing the shot to capture the right moment.

-Ray

3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Yah I will try that out too... but need a good sunny day. From 2ft to infinity needs f11 I think. It is always pretty gloomy up North in Vancouver. The markings don't show, but for f8 is it 3 ft?

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Here's a good online DOF calculator. It's fun to play with if you're an old hand or if you're totally new to learning what variables in the equation effect DOF. Distance from focal plane to subject influences the formula more than anything else. If your subject is further away, your DOF will naturally be deeper. But check it out and play with all the variables and see what changes what...... Online Depth of Field Calculator

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If you focus at 5 feet at f8, you've got focus from about 2.5 feet to infinity, IIRC. But i usually err on the side of focussing a little close because you rarely need infinity in focus for street shooting, but you often need the close area as sharp as possible.

-Ray

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Here's a GREAT tutorial....:biggrin:
    -> [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XQCc2uwKA&hd=1]PixBoomBa - Shooting Strangers - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  7. The combination of flip screen and touch shutter is what makes the E-M5 the perfect street camera for me. Any other method just seems awkward to me now.