1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What mode do you shoot in and why?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ashburtononline, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I ALWAYS shoot in aperture priority. Why? because I always have done and I like control over the lens as opposed to the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    For my event work with my Nikon it's manual 98% of the time.

But for personal stuff I'm probably in program more often than anything else with program shift and exposure comp. But I use them all, my last outing it was aperture for some macro stuff and shutter to try and blur some water.

3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Aperture priority almost exclusively. I like to be able to control the aperture. I do keep an eye on the resulting shutter speed, though. I do adjustments with exposure compensation, as I found my G5 underexposed a bit for my liking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rocky

rocky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2012
    Kapolei, HI/Walnut Creek, CA
    Greg
    I primarily use aperture priority. I do a lot in HDR and want to maintain the same DOF for all the shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I use aperture priority most of the time so I can control depth of field and get the highest possible shutter speed. If I end up with an E-M1 or E-M1 Mk.II with PDAF to speed up accurate focussing, I may use shutter priority more often for birds etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Aperture most of the time, manual the other.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    iAuto - I'm scared the mode dial will fall off if I touch it!

Just kidding. Mostly Aperture Priority mode for DOF control or Shutter Priority for shutter speed effects. I could use P mode to achieve the same I guess but its just what I'm used to.

I never use fully auto modes because they often set a higher ISO than I would choose and I never use in camera 'art' effect modes either.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    For what I shoot aperture priority at least 90% of the time. The other 10% or less of the time I'll be in shutter priority or full manual if the situation calls for it.

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I often want to keep the lens near its sharpest f-stop and/or control DoF so usually aperture priority. If not aperture, then manual. I have used shutter priority or program a handful of times at most.

10. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    A most of the time, maybe 70%,
    S for paningshoots on moving targets 25%.
    M about 5%

11. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I used to always shoot in A mode on my dslr but now on micro 4/3, I rarely use it.
    I just want to get the picture with minimal effort or distractions.
    I usually take pictures of a toddler so I need to maintain a relatively high shutter speed at all times.

GM1:
    Almost always S, P if it is bright out.

EP-5
    Almost always M mode with Auto ISO, P if it is bright out.

12. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I almost always shoot in Aperture Priority mode and very occasionally in Manual mode. I stick it on iAuto if I'm handing the camera to the wife...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Aperture priority 99% of the time.
    I do a lot of portrait work and I like to control DOF in a away to isolate my subjects as much as possible.
    Even when I do some occasional landscape photo I keep Aperture priority and set a closer aperture to maximize detail.
    I can't remember when was the last time I've touched the mode dial on my cameras...

14. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Seems like an overwhelming majority...

E-M1:
    Aperture Priority perhaps 70% of the time. Even though I shoot a lot of motion, I can still control shutter speed that way. I've done Manual Mode for certain landscape shots, and I've played with Shutter Priority to get a particular motion blur, but probably only 5% for both combined.

The other 25% I'm in Art Mode. I use Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Diorama and Partial Color - probably in that order of preference. I even use Story Mode every once in a while, though that's just messing around...

Canon 7D MkII:
    Aperture Priority 100%.

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    It depends on what I am photographing and why

Aperture priority, Manual or Program
    Can't say I have much call for Tv

http://www.27bslash6.com/photography.html

16. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I use aperture priority nowadays - virtually exclusively. If I use LV or an EVF, I use exposure compensation a lot - so it's actually very close to shooting full manual, even in handling ...

M.

17. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Mostly I leave the controls to camera. I discovered P mode is smart enough to trust. Olympus in-camera metering system handles light and exposure very well, while maintaing "optimal" aperture and shutter speeds.
    Though I compensate EV often. It's not due to inaccurate metering, rather for getting intentional under or over exposure.

18. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    A 90%

M for macro stuff

S for lightpainting etc

19. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    A 90%
    M <10% for long exposure or non traditional
    1% Art modes for fun

I will switch to S if I am doing action or need a high SP, but that is rare.

When I was using a DSLR, I got in the habit of shooting 100% M to train myself to think, but then realized A could do the same thing in most cases with Exp comp.

20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A 90% day-to-day, 9% M for difficult/variable lighting conditions, multishot panoramas, flash, long exposures, some action where I need to control both DoF and shutter, 1% MySet PDAF burst S (E-M1) for action.