What MFT camera next?

pierluigir

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi, this is my first message to this forum, after lurking for many months.

I am very satisfied of my Panasonic GF1 and the Micro Four Thirds system in general, for many different reasons (weight, dimensions, quality, small lenses, etc.).

So satisfied that i'm not using my Nikon reflex anymore and i'm planning to sell my expensive and bulky Nikon stuff to buy a better MFT camera e more lenses for the system.

Lense choice are not a big problem: i own Panasonic 14-45 and 20 1.7, and i'm oriented on Panasonic 14mm 2.5, 45mm 2.8, 7-14 4.0, 45-200 and 100-300 (not all at once! :D)

Camera selection is a different problem. I haven't followed the MFT system in the past years, so i'm not very competent on the various different models of cameras.

What i'm searching for is basically better high ISO real world perfomance (than GF1, 1 or 2 stop) and an EVF. Price is not a problem, since i was already saving for a Nikon D7000, and i'll sell the GF1 in the future.

Suggestions?

Pierluigi

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
I have to admit to not normally replying to posts about "what should I choose", it's really up to you, and many responses echo the posters own personal preferences rather than take into consideration your wants. I'm always happy to quote my own experiences with kit that I have, good or bad, but that is somewhat different to making recommendations. For what I do my G1 and GF1 are hopefully going to satisfy me for some time, my thought was influenced by this in your post.
What i'm searching for is basically better high ISO real world perfomance (than GF1, 1 or 2 stop) and an EVF.
Pierluigi

Barrie

pierluigir

Mu-43 Rookie
You might want to consider editing this comment :smile:

Barrie

Price is not a problem, but going cheaper is always better :smile:

The GH2 is a wonderful camera, i've just read the review on Luminous Landscape. If there are no reasonable alternatives, i think i'll buy it anytime it will be in stock here in Europe.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
It's purely my own personal approach to many things, probably based on my age and experience, but I like things to last. No doubt there are differences between the various :43: cameras now on the market, I have no experience other than as a satisfied user of both the G1 and GF1. I doubt if the differences are significant enough for me to want to change to another camera given those that are currently available.
I would need significant improvements before considering any change and so I suggested looking in the direction of the GH2 with that criterion in mind.
Will I be changing to it, no, although I might when it's at the end of it's production run, and hence cheaper, which is how I came to own a G1, well two actually :smile:
Take care and good luck in your deliberations.

Barrie

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Price is not a problem,

Suggestions?

Pierluigi

Welcome mate. When i read this it made me smile and thought that maybe you'd like a Hasselblad H3D! They've got one on ebay for buy it now for only $19,990.
Only joking:rofl:

I'm learning to be happy with what I've got, because there will be always something better coming in the future. And I figured If I'm always wishing for the latest I'll never be satisfied with anything.

At the start it sounds like your satisfied with your GF1 and then towards the end it sounds like you have doubts.

But that's neither here or there. Thanks for saying hello and I hope to see you round,

icon

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome mate. When i read this it made me smile and thought that maybe you'd like a Hasselblad H3D! They've got one on ebay for buy it now for only $19,990.

My brain went to a similar place: Leica M9 Titanium! At least you can easily use the M-mount lenses on the MFT cameras.

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
From my brief experience and voracious LOL research, it looks like the GH2 is the only viable option if high ISO is a primary concern. I love my E-P1, but it struggles in lowlight. With the non-existant, fast tele lens options I'm forced to use mf and it's a chore at best. I would jump all over the the GH2 if there were a zoom tele around the 2.8 range. Good luck!

pierluigir

Mu-43 Rookie

I'm learning to be happy with what I've got, because there will be always something better coming in the future. And I figured If I'm always wishing for the latest I'll never be satisfied with anything.

At the start it sounds like your satisfied with your GF1 and then towards the end it sounds like you have doubts.

But that's neither here or there. Thanks for saying hello and I hope to see you round,

icon

"Price is not a problem" is in relation to MFT cameras, all less than (or around) 1000€ range here in Europe. And this is my range, a good and cheap one if you consider that my original "wish" for a lightweight quality camera was a Leica ;)

Il like my GF1 a lot, but when i bought it i just needed a "serious" point and shot companion for my Nikon D90. Now that i'm considering to "switch" to MFT completely, i need a reflex substitute (i.e. better low light perfomance and an EVF).

I've made great photos AND great prints with my GF1, i'm very satisfied, but i'm searching for more in form factor and usability to get rid of my bulky DSLR, and i feel i'm already pushing the ISO limits of the GF1.

If there is a cheap MFT body whit EVF and better ISO, i could consider it as an alternative to the GH2.

Thanks for the discussion!

pierluigir

Mu-43 Rookie
From my brief experience and voracious LOL research, it looks like the GH2 is the only viable option if high ISO is a primary concern. I love my E-P1, but it struggles in lowlight.

This is exactly the kind of problem i have now with my GF1...

pjohngren

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Progress

I too started with the GF1 as a hiking substitute for my Nikon D80 and fell in love with it and with the lenses (20mm, 14-45, 45-200). I was then able to buy a G1 body on eBay, and fell in love all over again. The Nikon equipment I own has entered the "museum" and the D80 is now sitting next to the FM-2.

As to the idea that "professionals" will forever require large DSLR's with humongous lenses, I disagree. Lots of National Geographic pictures have been taken with small rangefinders. I recently took a photography workshop with the G1 and associated lenses, and felt fine - not inadequate at all - in fact it was incredibly convenient to use on a smaller, less heavy tripod, with me just standing there looking at the tilt-out screen, not hunched over and peering into a viewfinder - the live view histogram floating over the scene.

Progress is good.

pierluigir

Mu-43 Rookie
As to the idea that "professionals" will forever require large DSLR's with humongous lenses, I disagree.

Me too ;)

What about the Panasonic G2? It has ISO 6400 (vs. ISO 3200 of the GF1) and an EVF. Is also a lot cheaper than the GH2, and the lesser video performance is not a problem.

If the 1 stop ISO difference is real, the G2 could be an option...

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Satisfied, but needing better...

My Pentax K-x is close to as compact as G2, much better VF, significantly cheaper and IMHO besides weight and maybe video / lifeview not worse at anything.
- Oh, I personally am happy to trade in light weight for build quality
- But giving up OVF for compactness is for me one bridge too far

If I want better then I can upgrade to available camera's, with Mu43 you can't do that yet...
- Mu43 is designed for young Japanese people, especially the Pink versions are hot here

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
We just need faster lens. With just a bump in high ISO which the GH2 will likely give, I would be set with a zoom tele in the 2.8 range. The picture below was taken last night with the 20mm and it was almost pitch dark in a church parking lot lit only by some dim street lights. Shutter speed was like 1/6. Any movement at all would blur, but higher ISO values could let me bump it up if we had a fast tele lens option. I don't own a GH1, but it would seem that technological improvements will fix high ISO and AF issues if they would just release the glass.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dulaney22/5134207109/" title="PA314844.jpg by dulaney22, on Flickr"> View attachment 152263 "480" height="640" alt="PA314844.jpg" /></a>

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
What about the Panasonic G2?
From what I read the G2 is only marginally better than the G1 or GF1 in raw, maybe the jpeg's stand out a little more due to its improved Venus engine. However, I'm afraid a G2 is not really a dramatic improvement over the G1/GF1 and that you'll need to get a GH2 to step up significantly.

As a matter of fact, the number of MFT cameras is still fairly small: Olympus E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1 and Panasonic G1, G2, G10, GF1, GH1, GH2 (and possibly a GF2 announced this week). Of all these cameras only the GH1 and GH2 will likely give significant better high-ISO performance than all the others.

Latest threads

Top Bottom